Should Master Chief Die in Halo 5?

Do you think Master Chief should die, or go “missing in action”. They could add a new main character, or make Locke the new Master Chief.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.</mark>

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Sure, why not, 343 has already shatted on the halo franchise

I personally don’t think they should kill the master chief off in halo 5, because to me at least he is the key part of what makes halo, well halo. However, if they did kill him off I wouldn’t be surprised

No thanks, I’d rather they not try and carry a franchise solely off 343i’s “characters”.

Killing MC would be a big mistake.

I don’t want him to. However in Halo lore he is getting older so unless they do something like New 52 and reboot the character he is gonna either die or retire or just disappear sometime soon. Hopefully not Halo 5.

> 2533274875270720;6:
> I don’t want him to. However in Halo lore he is getting older so unless they do something like New 52 and reboot the character he is gonna either die or retire or just disappear sometime soon. Hopefully not Halo 5.

Anti ageing serum?

> 2535429061186049;1:
> Do you think Master Chief should die, or go “missing in action”. They could add a new main character, or make Locke the new Master Chief.

I think they will retire MC after 6. Finish off his own saga.

No killing Master Chief. He can acquire an indefinite lifespan through use of Forerunner technology.

I see no problem in him dying from a story standpoint, only the fans would become enraged with the fury of 1000 suns. Not that I agree with them given I fail to share such a love of Chief to begin with. I don’t hate Chief, but Halo should have been less about him a long time ago and I fear it is too late. I want more perspectives in the story outside of the books. People say 343’s characters couldn’t carry the torch, but let us be honest, the only reason people like Chief is because he is our own personal self-interests. He lacks any real personality and thus we can put our faces on him and see him as great because we see ourselves. The fans did all the work with Chief and evidently that hasn’t changed much with Bungie’s Destiny. 343 makes actual characters even if they end up flawed, Bungie doesn’t have time to explain why they don’t have time to explain anything about their characters.

In the middle of the Reclaimer Saga ? No. It would be much more interesting if he finished what he started first, IMO. And right now I don’t see any character that could replace him. Thorne, lifeless and boring ? No thanks. Locke ? So far I’m unimpressed, we’ll see in Halo 5. And I don’t think putting Fred as main character of the franchise would work well.

> 2533274812652989;10:
> People say 343’s characters couldn’t carry the torch, but let us be honest, the only reason people like Chief is because he is our own personal self-interests. He lacks any real personality and thus we can put our faces on him and see him as great because we see ourselves.

That was true until Halo 4. A change that caused some rage on those who used to see themselves in him.

> 2533274891227738;11:
> In the middle of the Reclaimer Saga ? No. It would be much more interesting if he finished what he started first, IMO. And right now I don’t see any character that could replace him. Thorne, lifeless and boring ? No thanks. Locke ? So far I’m unimpressed, we’ll see in Halo 5. And I don’t think putting Fred as main character of the franchise would work well.
>
>
>
> > 2533274812652989;10:
> > People say 343’s characters couldn’t carry the torch, but let us be honest, the only reason people like Chief is because he is our own personal self-interests. He lacks any real personality and thus we can put our faces on him and see him as great because we see ourselves.
>
>
> That was true until Halo 4. A change that caused some rage on those who used to see themselves in him.

Hence why Halo should have been more than about Chief a long time ago. Such fans don’t want actual characters, they want cliches and self-inserts. No thanks.

Not Halo 5. At the end of the Reclaimer Trilogy. The lore and other foreshadowing story elements would not work without the Chief alive. Rather, Locke is probably the one who will die in Halo 5. There isn’t much foreshadowing to substantiate Chief dying in Halo 5.

> 2535429061186049;1:
> Do you think Master Chief should die, or go “missing in action”. They could add a new main character, or make Locke the new Master Chief.

SHAME ON YOU, BRUTHA…!

I think 343 want, buy they have fear.

> 2533274933802447;13:
> Not Halo 5. At the end of the Reclaimer Trilogy. The lore and other foreshadowing story elements would not work without the Chief alive. Rather, Locke is probably the one who will die in Halo 5. There isn’t much foreshadowing to substantiate Chief dying in Halo 5.

343 aren’t going to get a Hollywood actor, build him up in a mini-series, put him as the second playable character and then kill him off in one game. Would be a waste.

Nope, the role of Master Chief in Reclaimer Saga is more important as even the other games

> 2535429061186049;1:
> Do you think Master Chief should die, or go “missing in action”. They could add a new main character, or make Locke the new Master Chief.

Spartans never die

> 2533274812652989;10:
> …the only reason people like Chief is because he is our own personal self-interests. He lacks any real personality and thus we can put our faces on him and see him as great because we see ourselves. The fans did all the work with Chief and evidently that hasn’t changed much with Bungie’s Destiny. 343 makes actual characters even if they end up flawed,…

yes, I agree with you but I’ll take your point & turn it on end. H1-3 MC is a blank slate that just “does” because…he does. But in 4 343i gave MC some personality in his lacking of it. “…Being a machine” and when he made a choice not to surrender Cortana to be decommissioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh21bzviKgY#t=38

& I believe that H5 will be MC’s start of his journey to find himself, alongside the overtones of finding Cortana & Halsey with the 1/2 of the Janus key. Then I can see H6 being the finally for MC & him having resolution in himself & retiring from the Spartan project completely or just stepping out of his armor for the last time maybe to train new Spartans, because that’s all that he knows besides his new-found self.

Hell, mabey Arby & Chief will chill & have a Corona on a beach together in their shorts

> 2533274796494295;14:
> > 2535429061186049;1:
> > Do you think Master Chief should die, or go “missing in action”. They could add a new main character, or make Locke the new Master Chief.
>
>
> SHAME ON YOU, BRUTHA…!

SHUN THE NON- BELIEVER!!!
SSSHHHUUUNNN…