Should It Fail...

In 2018, 343 Industries began efforts to improve their image. By fixing bugs and adding new features to Halo: The Master Chief Collection, teasing Halo Infinite in a way which suggested a return to the series’ roots, promising transparency with the community, and various other things such as proper PC support, these last couple of years have created a level of confidence, attention, and financial success that seemed impossible throughout most of the 2010’s. However, with flawed PC ports of Halo: Reach and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, completely going back on their promise of transparency with Halo Infinite, and their mixed-to-negative decade-long track record, Halo Infinite is seeming to be in bigger and bigger trouble (in development since at least 2016, releasing on/after September of 2020, and still nothing of substance known suggesting an avoidance of controversy).

Should it fail, will Halo and 343 Industries ever get another chance? Or will the breaking of thin ice forever bring us back to their irrelevance?

Firstly, the PC ports of MCC definitely increased their standing with the community, even if they came out of the oven a little uneven; all the issues are minor and can be easily ironed out. Plus, with MCC’s constant development, it’s only getting better and having more and more improvements that increase it’s quality. Halo MCC on Xbox One is still $30 pre owned, despite being almost 6 years old. That’s demand right there.

They didn’t promise transparency with Infinite, they promised transparency with MCC, which they have provided very much of. The only trouble Infinite would be facing currently is the coronavirus quarantine. 343 isn’t in trouble, they’re playing their cards close to their chest. The hype train couldn’t start in 2018 when Infinite was revealed because the game was at that point still 2 years out. And with what the community’s been through with Halo 5, the hype train should be very lowkey and be more honest in it’s portrayal of the game.

I think what is also commonly not thought of, for some reason, is the obvious fact that the Xbox Series X’s success is very closely tethered to Infinite’s success. Then and therefore, I never expected gameplay to be shown outside of the XSX full scale reveal. It’s no lie that Infinite is their biggest hope; rumor has it development is costing at or above $500 million.

What’s also commonly not thought of is the fact that should Infinite "fail, 343 doesn’t need another chance. There will still always be fans who buy from name recognition. In terms of critical and commercial success, Halo 5: Guardians actually fared above average. 343 is owned by Microsoft, so they have no shortage of funds should Infinite fail commercially. They’d still be able to pump out Halo games, and probably would still trying again and again to achieve what was lost should they “fail” (in terms of fan judgement) so terribly.

> 2535418979567138;2:
> Firstly, the PC ports of MCC definitely increased their standing with the community, even if they came out of the oven a little uneven; all the issues are minor and can be easily ironed out. Plus, with MCC’s constant development, it’s only getting better and having more and more improvements that increase it’s quality. Halo MCC on Xbox One is still $30 pre owned, despite being almost 6 years old. That’s demand right there.
>
> They didn’t promise transparency with Infinite, they promised transparency with MCC, which they have provided very much of. The only trouble Infinite would be facing currently is the coronavirus quarantine. 343 isn’t in trouble, they’re playing their cards close to their chest. The hype train couldn’t start in 2018 when Infinite was revealed because the game was at that point still 2 years out. And with what the community’s been through with Halo 5, the hype train should be very lowkey and be more honest in it’s portrayal of the game.
>
> I think what is also commonly not thought of, for some reason, is the obvious fact that the Xbox Series X’s success is very closely tethered to Infinite’s success. Then and therefore, I never expected gameplay to be shown outside of the XSX full scale reveal. It’s no lie that Infinite is their biggest hope; rumor has it development is costing at or above $500 million.
>
> What’s also commonly not thought of is the fact that should Infinite "fail, 343 doesn’t need another chance. There will still always be fans who buy from name recognition. In terms of critical and commercial success, Halo 5: Guardians actually fared above average. 343 is owned by Microsoft, so they have no shortage of funds should Infinite fail commercially. They’d still be able to pump out Halo games, and probably would still trying again and again to achieve what was lost should they “fail” (in terms of fan judgement) so terribly.

I’m not speaking exclusively about their reputation with Halo’s playerbase, I’m speaking about their reputation with gamers as a whole. Halo was once on top of the world and its developers, Bungie, could essentially sell products with their legacy alone. That’s no longer the case.

In 2018, 343 Industries stated in an update on Halo Waypoint that there’d be flights for Halo Infinite to allow proper fan feedback. With only five or so months to go, there’s no longer adequate time for that pre-launch. The world also isn’t black and white, so they can avoid lying in their marketing without saying nothing at all.

Xbox’s success is very closely tethered to Halo’s success, yet that never seemed to be a concern for Microsoft during the Xbox One (except with Halo Wars 2, but even that’s apparently still buggy). Maybe the Xbox Series X will be different, but I don’t have a time machine to see how it’ll play out.

I never made the claim that Microsoft would abandon Halo or that those who buy Halo games would stop buying them (after all, people downplay Halo: The Master Chief Collection’s problems all the time). Again, I’m talking about Halo breaking records like back in 2004.

> 2535425271455392;3:
> > 2535418979567138;2:
> > Firstly, the PC ports of MCC definitely increased their standing with the community, even if they came out of the oven a little uneven; all the issues are minor and can be easily ironed out. Plus, with MCC’s constant development, it’s only getting better and having more and more improvements that increase it’s quality. Halo MCC on Xbox One is still $30 pre owned, despite being almost 6 years old. That’s demand right there.
> >
> > They didn’t promise transparency with Infinite, they promised transparency with MCC, which they have provided very much of. The only trouble Infinite would be facing currently is the coronavirus quarantine. 343 isn’t in trouble, they’re playing their cards close to their chest. The hype train couldn’t start in 2018 when Infinite was revealed because the game was at that point still 2 years out. And with what the community’s been through with Halo 5, the hype train should be very lowkey and be more honest in it’s portrayal of the game.
> >
> > I think what is also commonly not thought of, for some reason, is the obvious fact that the Xbox Series X’s success is very closely tethered to Infinite’s success. Then and therefore, I never expected gameplay to be shown outside of the XSX full scale reveal. It’s no lie that Infinite is their biggest hope; rumor has it development is costing at or above $500 million.
> >
> > What’s also commonly not thought of is the fact that should Infinite "fail, 343 doesn’t need another chance. There will still always be fans who buy from name recognition. In terms of critical and commercial success, Halo 5: Guardians actually fared above average. 343 is owned by Microsoft, so they have no shortage of funds should Infinite fail commercially. They’d still be able to pump out Halo games, and probably would still trying again and again to achieve what was lost should they “fail” (in terms of fan judgement) so terribly.
>
> I’m not speaking exclusively about their reputation with Halo’s playerbase, I’m speaking about their reputation with gamers as a whole. Halo was once on top of the world and its developers, Bungie, could essentially sell products with their legacy alone. That’s no longer the case.
>
> In 2018, 343 Industries stated in an update on Halo Waypoint that there’d be flights for Halo Infinite to allow proper fan feedback. With only five or so months to go, there’s no longer adequate time for that pre-launch. The world also isn’t black and white, so they can avoid lying in their marketing without saying nothing at all.
>
> Xbox’s success is very closely tethered to Halo’s success, yet that never seemed to be a concern for Microsoft during the Xbox One (except with Halo Wars 2, but even that’s apparently still buggy). Maybe the Xbox Series X will be different, but I don’t have a time machine to see how it’ll play out.
>
> I never made the claim that Microsoft would abandon Halo or that those who buy Halo games would stop buying them (after all, people downplay Halo: The Master Chief Collection’s problems all the time). Again, I’m talking about Halo breaking records like back in 2004.

Halo still has gamers who go out and buy it because it’s Halo. Halo 5 even smashed launch records. The games still can be sold on their legacy alone (or whatever they have left of it).

There is still adequate time for flighting and betas. If they choose to not do that, then they’d be lying, but there certainly is enough time for a beta. There would even be enough time for a beta between E3 and Thanksgiving (rumored XSX launch date). I think that their “flights” are just another name for “beta”, so if you expected MCC-esque flighting, you were setting yourself up for disappointment. Other games like Modern Warfare had a beta less than a couple of months before it’s launch. Apparently, they’ve also reaffirmed that flighting will begin in “2020”.

Yes, Halo being a launch title wasn’t a concern for Xbox One, and look how that turned out. With that factor and a combination of others, the Xbox One was initially a big blunder, and is still in last place this console generation. I’m not sure why you mention Halo Wars 2 and not Halo 5 (or why you mention either as the point was pertaining to Halo as a launch title). The XSX will launch with Halo Infinite, and that clearly is a concern for Microsoft this generation, otherwise they wouldn’t have pumped 5 years of dev and hundreds of millions of dollars into it. I’m not sure what you’re conveying with that point. That Halo isn’t tethered to Xbox’s success? Yet you prove just that by claiming that Microsoft’s lack of a focus on Halo is tied to Xbox One’s lack of success?

If you’re referring to launch days and how Halo 2 & 3 smashed launch records, then you’re saying that Halo 4 & 5 have been massive successes too, because they have also smashed launch records. Like I said, people will buy Halo due to name recognition. It’s just that in the age of movies like Avengers: Endgame (a garbage movie if you ask me, probably didn’t), Halo probably won’t be able to be the largest media launch of all time like Halo 3 was. That was a different era of movies and games.

You need to elaborate on what “failure” pertains to. Commercial failure? Failure to please fans? In your measurement of launch records, Halo 5 succeeded. From who are you asking whether or not Halo will ever get another chance? Microsoft? The community? Average gamers? From the repliers?

There’s too many moving parts in this that this whole topic is basically just speculation. You’re just guessing. There’s no way to accurately measure whether or not they’d have another chance, as it depends on severity of failure, what kind of failure, and what the response is.