Should I finish Glasslands?

I’m having a lot of trouble getting into it, I’m about a 3-4 chapters in and it’s not doing much for me, does it get better?

Do I think it personally gets better? No though some parts are better than others. But I would finish it just to know up-to-date information.

> Do I think it personally gets better? No though some parts are better than others. But I would finish it just to know up-to-date information.

Alright, thanks.

It’s really not that bad of a read. I mean sure, some of the parts are just way out of whack, but most of the time it’s average… I’d finish it, you get some rather interesting info anyways.

I would say finish it. Glasslands was the first Halo novel I read in one day

> I would say finish it. Glasslands was the first Halo novel I read in one day

0_0

OT: I’d say it’s worth finishing

> > I would say finish it. Glasslands was the first Halo novel I read in one day
>
> 0_0
>
> OT: I’d say it’s worth finishing

What can I say, it was a great read for me. I’m a little bias toward Karen Traviss (love her GoW books), but even putting that aside, I loved Glasslands.

Yes, it gets exciting at the end.

> I would say finish it. Glasslands was the first Halo novel I read in one day

Its funny as it is the only Halo book I struggled to finish. I’m also a bit biased against Karen as she wrote the story for gears of war 3 and killed of Dom I see most characters hard to relate to which is a problem and I can’t really describe it much but, I felt bored reading it as if it were a chore. I hope the upcoming Thursday war is better. This just may be me but that how I felt about it.

I would say hell yes but I loved it. but im used to Karen Traviss due to being a fan of the Republic Commando novels.

OT: It sets up for the rise of the “Storm” thats in Halo 4.

> > I would say finish it. Glasslands was the first Halo novel I read in one day
>
> Its funny as it is the only Halo book I struggled to finish. I’m also a bit biased against Karen as she wrote the story for gears of war 3 and killed of Dom I see most characters hard to relate to which is a problem and I can’t really describe it much but, I felt bored reading it as if it were a chore. I hope the upcoming Thursday war is better. This just may be me but that how I felt about it.

Dom’s death was imminent after he killed his wife in Gears 2. It’s also nice to see main characters die instead of just Carmines (or Red Shirts), as it makes a story feel more "real"Anyway, one reason I actually like Glasslands was that Karen decided not to give Halsey the benefit of the doubt as Nylund always has. She also has a talent for making, in my opinion, believable characters.

Though, again, I’m bias toward her.

> > > I would say finish it. Glasslands was the first Halo novel I read in one day
> >
> > Its funny as it is the only Halo book I struggled to finish. I’m also a bit biased against Karen as she wrote the story for gears of war 3 and killed of Dom I see most characters hard to relate to which is a problem and I can’t really describe it much but, I felt bored reading it as if it were a chore. I hope the upcoming Thursday war is better. This just may be me but that how I felt about it.
>
> Dom’s death was imminent after he killed his wife in Gears 2. It’s also nice to see main characters die instead of just Carmines (or Red Shirts), as it makes a story feel more "real"Anyway, one reason I actually like Glasslands was that Karen decided not to give Halsey the benefit of the doubt as Nylund always has. She also has a talent for making, in my opinion, believable characters.
>
> Though, again, I’m bias toward her.

That seems to be the problem most people have with her though. It was such a great change between how Halsey was treated, from something of neutral to then a massive war criminal. I personally don’t agree with some of the comparisons used, nor do I think that the reason Parangosky used is a valid one for hating Halsey. But after awhile you get used to it I suppose

> > > > I would say finish it. Glasslands was the first Halo novel I read in one day
> > >
> > > Its funny as it is the only Halo book I struggled to finish. I’m also a bit biased against Karen as she wrote the story for gears of war 3 and killed of Dom I see most characters hard to relate to which is a problem and I can’t really describe it much but, I felt bored reading it as if it were a chore. I hope the upcoming Thursday war is better. This just may be me but that how I felt about it.
> >
> > Dom’s death was imminent after he killed his wife in Gears 2. It’s also nice to see main characters die instead of just Carmines (or Red Shirts), as it makes a story feel more "real"Anyway, one reason I actually like Glasslands was that Karen decided not to give Halsey the benefit of the doubt as Nylund always has. She also has a talent for making, in my opinion, believable characters.
> >
> > Though, again, I’m bias toward her.
>
> That seems to be the problem most people have with her though. It was such a great change between how Halsey was treated, from something of neutral to then a massive war criminal. I personally don’t agree with some of the comparisons used, nor do I think that the reason Parangosky used is a valid one for hating Halsey. But after awhile you get used to it I suppose

Well, here’s the thing: the ODSTs were given a very bias description of Halsey from someone who didn’t like her, even hated her. The reason Naomi never spoke up is likely due to Osman being her superior. As we’ve seen from Spartans, protocol is practically all they know.

Now, Parangosky. From her first appearance in Ghost’s of Onyx, Parangosky has shown an extreme dislike of Halsey, rivaling that of Ackerson’s.

As for Mendez’s treatment of Halsey, the two have always had an uneasy relationship. However, there was always something to keep them from snapping at each other, be that training the Spartans or the fact that they never saw each other for years on end. Once the two were in the Shield World, there was nothing keeping their minds busy, nothing to keep them from going at each other. Add to that Halsey’s treatment of the S-IIIs and her superior attitude, the way Mendez acted toward her is understandable.

In every story prior to Glasslands that has featured Halsey, I would hardly call the picture painted “neutral”. Eric Nylund has always painted her a sympathetic character. He shows that she does terrible things, but then talks about how guilty she feels, talks about her moral dilemmas. I’m not bad mouthing Nylund, he’s easily my favorite author in the Halo Universe, but the way he depicts her was far from neutral.

> > > > > I would say finish it. Glasslands was the first Halo novel I read in one day
> > > >
> > > > Its funny as it is the only Halo book I struggled to finish. I’m also a bit biased against Karen as she wrote the story for gears of war 3 and killed of Dom I see most characters hard to relate to which is a problem and I can’t really describe it much but, I felt bored reading it as if it were a chore. I hope the upcoming Thursday war is better. This just may be me but that how I felt about it.
> > >
> > > Dom’s death was imminent after he killed his wife in Gears 2. It’s also nice to see main characters die instead of just Carmines (or Red Shirts), as it makes a story feel more "real"Anyway, one reason I actually like Glasslands was that Karen decided not to give Halsey the benefit of the doubt as Nylund always has. She also has a talent for making, in my opinion, believable characters.
> > >
> > > Though, again, I’m bias toward her.
> >
> > That seems to be the problem most people have with her though. It was such a great change between how Halsey was treated, from something of neutral to then a massive war criminal. I personally don’t agree with some of the comparisons used, nor do I think that the reason Parangosky used is a valid one for hating Halsey. But after awhile you get used to it I suppose
>
> Well, here’s the thing: the ODSTs were given a very bias description of Halsey from someone who didn’t like her, even hated her. The reason Naomi never spoke up is likely due to Osman being her superior. As we’ve seen from Spartans, protocol is practically all they know.
>
> Now, Parangosky. From her first appearance in Ghost’s of Onyx, Parangosky has shown an extreme dislike of Halsey, rivaling that of Ackerson’s.
>
> As for Mendez’s treatment of Halsey, the two have always had an uneasy relationship. However, there was always something to keep them from snapping at each other, be that training the Spartans or the fact that they never saw each other for years on end. Once the two were in the Shield World, there was nothing keeping their minds busy, nothing to keep them from going at each other. Add to that Halsey’s treatment of the S-IIIs and her superior attitude, the way Mendez acted toward her is understandable.
>
> In every story prior to Glasslands that has featured Halsey, I would hardly call the picture painted “neutral”. Eric Nylund has always painted her a sympathetic character. He shows that she does terrible things, but then talks about how guilty she feels, talks about her moral dilemmas. I’m not bad mouthing Nylund, he’s easily my favorite author in the Halo Universe, but the way he depicts her was far from neutral.

Well I suppose neutral was a bad way of putting it, but sympathetic I wouldn’t say either. The term I hear used often and the most is morally gray, and while I’m not sure that’s the best term, I think it’s better fitting than neutral. And while he does try to paint her as better than neutral, I still don’t think sympathetic is quite the right term.

About the ODSTs, I understand they were given a biased opinion which explains their actions.

Mendez though, he still had something to occupy his time. Sure, there were lulls in the search, but to me it seemed the it just came up out of nowhere. Sure, after it started it seemed fine, but the way it did start seemed a bit… odd to me. That’s a personal opinion though, so I suppose that won’t carry much weight. And in Glasslands, Parangosky gave her reason for hating Halsey, didn’t she? It was about those clones I had thought. Perhaps I had read it wrong, though I’m fairly sure about that part.

> > > > > > I would say finish it. Glasslands was the first Halo novel I read in one day
> > > > >
> > > > > Its funny as it is the only Halo book I struggled to finish. I’m also a bit biased against Karen as she wrote the story for gears of war 3 and killed of Dom I see most characters hard to relate to which is a problem and I can’t really describe it much but, I felt bored reading it as if it were a chore. I hope the upcoming Thursday war is better. This just may be me but that how I felt about it.
> > > >
> > > > Dom’s death was imminent after he killed his wife in Gears 2. It’s also nice to see main characters die instead of just Carmines (or Red Shirts), as it makes a story feel more "real"Anyway, one reason I actually like Glasslands was that Karen decided not to give Halsey the benefit of the doubt as Nylund always has. She also has a talent for making, in my opinion, believable characters.
> > > >
> > > > Though, again, I’m bias toward her.
> > >
> > > That seems to be the problem most people have with her though. It was such a great change between how Halsey was treated, from something of neutral to then a massive war criminal. I personally don’t agree with some of the comparisons used, nor do I think that the reason Parangosky used is a valid one for hating Halsey. But after awhile you get used to it I suppose
> >
> > Well, here’s the thing: the ODSTs were given a very bias description of Halsey from someone who didn’t like her, even hated her. The reason Naomi never spoke up is likely due to Osman being her superior. As we’ve seen from Spartans, protocol is practically all they know.
> >
> > Now, Parangosky. From her first appearance in Ghost’s of Onyx, Parangosky has shown an extreme dislike of Halsey, rivaling that of Ackerson’s.
> >
> > As for Mendez’s treatment of Halsey, the two have always had an uneasy relationship. However, there was always something to keep them from snapping at each other, be that training the Spartans or the fact that they never saw each other for years on end. Once the two were in the Shield World, there was nothing keeping their minds busy, nothing to keep them from going at each other. Add to that Halsey’s treatment of the S-IIIs and her superior attitude, the way Mendez acted toward her is understandable.
> >
> > In every story prior to Glasslands that has featured Halsey, I would hardly call the picture painted “neutral”. Eric Nylund has always painted her a sympathetic character. He shows that she does terrible things, but then talks about how guilty she feels, talks about her moral dilemmas. I’m not bad mouthing Nylund, he’s easily my favorite author in the Halo Universe, but the way he depicts her was far from neutral.
>
> Well I suppose neutral was a bad way of putting it, but sympathetic I wouldn’t say either. The term I hear used often and the most is morally gray, and while I’m not sure that’s the best term, I think it’s better fitting than neutral. And while he does try to paint her as better than neutral, I still don’t think sympathetic is quite the right term.
>
> About the ODSTs, I understand they were given a biased opinion which explains their actions.
>
> Mendez though, he still had something to occupy his time. Sure, there were lulls in the search, but to me it seemed the it just came up out of nowhere. Sure, after it started it seemed fine, but the way it did start seemed a bit… odd to me. That’s a personal opinion though, so I suppose that won’t carry much weight. <mark>And in Glasslands, Parangosky gave her reason for hating Halsey, didn’t she? It was about those clones I had thought. Perhaps I had read it wrong, though I’m fairly sure about that part.</mark>

She did say that was the primary reason she hated Halsey, but I was making the point that Parangosky has always had it out for Halsey, and there are other reasons why the two don’t get along. I cannot deny the “she lied about the clones” is a little weapon, but with the way Traviss writes, I feel we’ll get an explanation in The Thursday War or the final book in the trilogy.

> > > > > > > I would say finish it. Glasslands was the first Halo novel I read in one day
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Its funny as it is the only Halo book I struggled to finish. I’m also a bit biased against Karen as she wrote the story for gears of war 3 and killed of Dom I see most characters hard to relate to which is a problem and I can’t really describe it much but, I felt bored reading it as if it were a chore. I hope the upcoming Thursday war is better. This just may be me but that how I felt about it.
> > > > >
> > > > > Dom’s death was imminent after he killed his wife in Gears 2. It’s also nice to see main characters die instead of just Carmines (or Red Shirts), as it makes a story feel more "real"Anyway, one reason I actually like Glasslands was that Karen decided not to give Halsey the benefit of the doubt as Nylund always has. She also has a talent for making, in my opinion, believable characters.
> > > > >
> > > > > Though, again, I’m bias toward her.
> > > >
> > > > That seems to be the problem most people have with her though. It was such a great change between how Halsey was treated, from something of neutral to then a massive war criminal. I personally don’t agree with some of the comparisons used, nor do I think that the reason Parangosky used is a valid one for hating Halsey. But after awhile you get used to it I suppose
> > >
> > > Well, here’s the thing: the ODSTs were given a very bias description of Halsey from someone who didn’t like her, even hated her. The reason Naomi never spoke up is likely due to Osman being her superior. As we’ve seen from Spartans, protocol is practically all they know.
> > >
> > > Now, Parangosky. From her first appearance in Ghost’s of Onyx, Parangosky has shown an extreme dislike of Halsey, rivaling that of Ackerson’s.
> > >
> > > As for Mendez’s treatment of Halsey, the two have always had an uneasy relationship. However, there was always something to keep them from snapping at each other, be that training the Spartans or the fact that they never saw each other for years on end. Once the two were in the Shield World, there was nothing keeping their minds busy, nothing to keep them from going at each other. Add to that Halsey’s treatment of the S-IIIs and her superior attitude, the way Mendez acted toward her is understandable.
> > >
> > > In every story prior to Glasslands that has featured Halsey, I would hardly call the picture painted “neutral”. Eric Nylund has always painted her a sympathetic character. He shows that she does terrible things, but then talks about how guilty she feels, talks about her moral dilemmas. I’m not bad mouthing Nylund, he’s easily my favorite author in the Halo Universe, but the way he depicts her was far from neutral.
> >
> > Well I suppose neutral was a bad way of putting it, but sympathetic I wouldn’t say either. The term I hear used often and the most is morally gray, and while I’m not sure that’s the best term, I think it’s better fitting than neutral. And while he does try to paint her as better than neutral, I still don’t think sympathetic is quite the right term.
> >
> > About the ODSTs, I understand they were given a biased opinion which explains their actions.
> >
> > Mendez though, he still had something to occupy his time. Sure, there were lulls in the search, but to me it seemed the it just came up out of nowhere. Sure, after it started it seemed fine, but the way it did start seemed a bit… odd to me. That’s a personal opinion though, so I suppose that won’t carry much weight. <mark>And in Glasslands, Parangosky gave her reason for hating Halsey, didn’t she? It was about those clones I had thought. Perhaps I had read it wrong, though I’m fairly sure about that part.</mark>
>
> She did say that was the primary reason she hated Halsey, but I was making the point that Parangosky has always had it out for Halsey, and there are other reasons why the two don’t get along. I cannot deny the “she lied about the clones” is a little weapon, but with the way Traviss writes, I feel we’ll get an explanation in The Thursday War or the final book in the trilogy.

I was fine with how she had always hated Halsey. It’s just… The reason, the primary one anyways, was just… Not a good one. They could have had much better reasons, but they chose that one… Who knows, maybe we’ll find or more in the next book like you said.

> > > > > > > > I would say finish it. Glasslands was the first Halo novel I read in one day
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Its funny as it is the only Halo book I struggled to finish. I’m also a bit biased against Karen as she wrote the story for gears of war 3 and killed of Dom I see most characters hard to relate to which is a problem and I can’t really describe it much but, I felt bored reading it as if it were a chore. I hope the upcoming Thursday war is better. This just may be me but that how I felt about it.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Dom’s death was imminent after he killed his wife in Gears 2. It’s also nice to see main characters die instead of just Carmines (or Red Shirts), as it makes a story feel more "real"Anyway, one reason I actually like Glasslands was that Karen decided not to give Halsey the benefit of the doubt as Nylund always has. She also has a talent for making, in my opinion, believable characters.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Though, again, I’m bias toward her.
> > > > >
> > > > > That seems to be the problem most people have with her though. It was such a great change between how Halsey was treated, from something of neutral to then a massive war criminal. I personally don’t agree with some of the comparisons used, nor do I think that the reason Parangosky used is a valid one for hating Halsey. But after awhile you get used to it I suppose
> > > >
> > > > Well, here’s the thing: the ODSTs were given a very bias description of Halsey from someone who didn’t like her, even hated her. The reason Naomi never spoke up is likely due to Osman being her superior. As we’ve seen from Spartans, protocol is practically all they know.
> > > >
> > > > Now, Parangosky. From her first appearance in Ghost’s of Onyx, Parangosky has shown an extreme dislike of Halsey, rivaling that of Ackerson’s.
> > > >
> > > > As for Mendez’s treatment of Halsey, the two have always had an uneasy relationship. However, there was always something to keep them from snapping at each other, be that training the Spartans or the fact that they never saw each other for years on end. Once the two were in the Shield World, there was nothing keeping their minds busy, nothing to keep them from going at each other. Add to that Halsey’s treatment of the S-IIIs and her superior attitude, the way Mendez acted toward her is understandable.
> > > >
> > > > In every story prior to Glasslands that has featured Halsey, I would hardly call the picture painted “neutral”. Eric Nylund has always painted her a sympathetic character. He shows that she does terrible things, but then talks about how guilty she feels, talks about her moral dilemmas. I’m not bad mouthing Nylund, he’s easily my favorite author in the Halo Universe, but the way he depicts her was far from neutral.
> > >
> > > Well I suppose neutral was a bad way of putting it, but sympathetic I wouldn’t say either. The term I hear used often and the most is morally gray, and while I’m not sure that’s the best term, I think it’s better fitting than neutral. And while he does try to paint her as better than neutral, I still don’t think sympathetic is quite the right term.
> > >
> > > About the ODSTs, I understand they were given a biased opinion which explains their actions.
> > >
> > > Mendez though, he still had something to occupy his time. Sure, there were lulls in the search, but to me it seemed the it just came up out of nowhere. Sure, after it started it seemed fine, but the way it did start seemed a bit… odd to me. That’s a personal opinion though, so I suppose that won’t carry much weight. <mark>And in Glasslands, Parangosky gave her reason for hating Halsey, didn’t she? It was about those clones I had thought. Perhaps I had read it wrong, though I’m fairly sure about that part.</mark>
> >
> > She did say that was the primary reason she hated Halsey, but I was making the point that Parangosky has always had it out for Halsey, and there are other reasons why the two don’t get along. I cannot deny the “she lied about the clones” is a little weapon, but with the way Traviss writes, I feel we’ll get an explanation in The Thursday War or the final book in the trilogy.
>
> I was fine with how she had always hated Halsey. It’s just… The reason, the primary one anyways, was just… Not a good one. They could have had much better reasons, but they chose that one… Who knows, maybe we’ll find or more in the next book like you said.

Based on her work in Gears of War, we’ll have an explanation by the end of the Trilogy. When writing a series, its rare for Traviss to have a complete story in one book. I personally like this style, but not everyone does. This is, of course, why Glasslands ends on a cliffhanger.

I thought it was worth the read. For one, it told that a few of my favorite SPARTAN-II’s were alive as well as Halsey and Mendez (this is because I didn’t read Ghost of Onyx first, but I have since then). Also, it tells you what happened during that last cut scene in Halo 3, because the part where John blew up the Halo ring and tried to escape on the Forward Unto Dawn was in November 2552 (the month in the Dyson Sphere), the part where they show the memorial on Earth was in March 2553 (where you’ll notice the rest of the book outside of the Shield World is headed). Then it also brings up a couple of first mentions near the end, like the UNSC Infinity and it’s Captain and crew mates. Plus I can’t help like feel the sequel to this book (Halo: The Thursday War due out at the beginning of October) will have even more information dealing with certain things happening in Halo 4. One last reason is this: why not finish what you’ve started?? Going by the Halo 3 tagline, “Finish the Fight.”

I really disliked all of the characters, they all felt kinda cliche. You’ve got that one ODST who’s the “tough and serious” type, then you got his friend who’s "shorter and more “laidback”.

You’ve got a character who’s long-lost father turns out to be the bad guy (Star Wars, anyone?), then you’ve got the “hacker” (BB) of the group, and together the team of misfits travel the galaxy and solve crimes. I just couldn’t connect with any of the characters, and thus, it became a chore to read through.

Also, whats the deal with the Sangeili and Sangheilos? Almost half of the book takes place on the alien world, yet all we learn is that the female Elites hold political power in the kaidon’s steed (which contradicts the Cole Protocol) and that the Elites apparently suck at solving Rubix cube-like puzzles.

Now, I haven’t read anything else by Traviss, cept for Human Weakness, which was also a chore. I opened the cover of Glasslands completely unbiased and these were my honest thoughts.

> > > I would say finish it. Glasslands was the first Halo novel I read in one day
> >
> > Its funny as it is the only Halo book I struggled to finish. I’m also a bit biased against Karen as she wrote the story for gears of war 3 and killed of Dom I see most characters hard to relate to which is a problem and I can’t really describe it much but, I felt bored reading it as if it were a chore. I hope the upcoming Thursday war is better. This just may be me but that how I felt about it.
>
> Dom’s death was imminent after he killed his wife in Gears 2. It’s also nice to see main characters die instead of just Carmines (or Red Shirts), as it makes a story feel more "real"Anyway, one reason I actually like Glasslands was that Karen decided not to give Halsey the benefit of the doubt as Nylund always has. She also has a talent for making, in my opinion, believable characters.
>
> Though, again, I’m bias toward her.

I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CARMINE!!! when I saw his Raven crash. Thankfully he survived. At least the most badass of the Carmines got to survive. XDOT: I would definitely finish Glasslands seeing as how Karen Traviss’s books along with all of Greg Bear’s novels about Halo at this point all lead into Halo 4. 343 has stated that reading the books isn’t necessary to understand the Halo 4 story but if you do happen to read them all, you’ll have that much more appreciation for the story and the universe as a whole.