Should Hunters be more strong & intimidating?

The following story is 99% true, as far as I can remember correctly… :smiley:

'I remember in Halo ODST I was playing on Heroic difficulty… or was it Legendary?.. Anyway:
I started shooting at a hunter, only to run out of ammo a second later. Well the Hunter comes charging at me, so I go into a building to find more ammo. Thinking I lost the Hunter, I go through long dark corridors and up some stairs looking for more ammo, only to find a dead end. Just an empty room, no weapon in sight. I turned around to go back to the stairs when I suddenly stop…
Boom… Boom… Boom…
I hear heavy footsteps approaching. I slowly creep towards the stairs and look down.
I saw nothing… but just as I thought that I see a great huge lump of metal come charging towards me! The monster had followed me inside! I didn’t even know they could do that!
Quite startled by what I was seeing, I retreated to the back of the room, the Hunter following close behind. I got to the back of the room, then turned around. The Hunter was blocking the stairs! I had now way out, and no weapons at my disposal. The Hunter started to charge up his cannon…’

Now I can’t remember how it happened, but either I got hit by the his shot, or I dodged it and ran for the stairs only to get swatted by his shield. Either way, I died. :frowning:

Just remembering that though reminded me think of just how intimidating Hunters could be. In previous Halo games, or at least Halo CE, Hunters would do exactly what their name suggests; hunt you down. They were fast, strong (please forget the CE pistol for a moment ha ha) and just plain mean.

Then after that, they just started getting weaker. In Reach and Halo 4 they were pretty weak compared to their previous counter-parts. :frowning:

I think that 343 should buff them up a bit. Make them a force to be reckoned with again. Perhaps make them a little bigger as well. Just imagine. A pair of great big Hunters come charging through the ranks. Anything that gets in their way gets sent flying. They start firing mercilessly. If one of the pair gets killed, the remaining one will go into a frenzy and just start shooting like crazy, charging at the one who killed his ‘brother’. I wouldn’t want that charging at me, that’s for sure. :I

What do you think? Do you think that 343 should buff up the Hunters and make them more intimidating? Please share you thoughts. :smiley:

I’ve experienced your example before, it was awesome, I agree they should

Ha ha, Being stuck in a corridor with a Hunter with no weapons is one the worst scenarios that can happen in ODST. :slight_smile:

Primary issues with CE Hunter:
•predictable melee pattern
•slow turning speed
•pistol exploit
•armor took damage

Primary issues with H2 Hunter:
•predictable melee patterns
•slower
•easily stunned by explosions
•cannot freeroam until bond brother dies
•cannot use gun while berserking
•high attack damage to compensate for slow attacks

Primary issues with H3 Hunter:
•mostly unchanged from H2
•power weapons are almost always readily available

Primary issues with Reach Hunter:
•somewhat unchanged from H3
•helpless against vehicles
•no longer bother diving from fuel rods, grenades, etc.
•notoriously campy
•rely on splash damage
•no longer have bond brother relationship
•neck block ability is redundant

Primary issues with H4 Hunter:
•mostly unchanged from Reach
•power weapons are almost always readily available
•easily felled by sword

Is it wrong if I find a Promethean Knight to present more challenge than a Hunter? In cqc, those guys can sweep the hell out of you and are trickier to approach.

I believe they should be. Hunters are supposed to be “OH -Yoink-” moment more than anything else, and now, you usually see them trying to take on Scorpion tanks, and it’s always futile. It’s sad when I can take on a hunter in melee on Legendary with tough luck as an ODST and win - easily. That’s supposed to be suicidal for a Spartan to do, let alone a unenhanced marine wearing fancy black armor. I mean, it’s a twelve foot eel colony with a FRC and a shield made of Spaceship armor. It should be an experience similar to fighting a CoD Armored Juggernaut with a invulnerable riot shield and grenade launcher, while you yourself are armed with a Machine Pistol.

> Is it wrong if I find a Promethean Knight to present more challenge than a Hunter? In cqc, those guys can sweep the hell out of you and are trickier to approach.

Not really, because you’re right! This is what Hunters should be like (the swinging and hitting, not all the teleporting and whatnot :smiley: ). And I think that not being able to free roam when both Hunters are alive is just silly. They’re Hunters! They’re supposed to hunt! If the problems with programming or whatever, just make one Hunter the leader, and make the other follow.

Also

> I believe they should be. Hunters are supposed to be “OH Yoink!” moment more than anything else, and now, you usually see them trying to take on Scorpion tanks, and it’s always futile. It’s sad when I can take on a hunter in melee on Legendary with tough luck as an ODST and win - easily. That’s supposed to be suicidal for a Spartan to do, let alone a unenhanced marine wearing fancy black armor. I mean, it’s a twelve foot eel colony with a FRC and a shield made of Spaceship armor. It should be an experience similar to fighting a CoD Armored Juggernaut with a invulnerable riot shield and grenade launcher, while you yourself are armed with a Machine Pistol.

Exactly! You’re absolutely right! They should be more of a threat on the battlefield. Unfortunately, at the moment they don’t really give that sense of urgency and threat, or at least not as much as they could, in my opinion.

Playing on mythic difficulty makes even a wrong placed grunt seem formidable, that’s what I do.

Make it harder and everything gets scarier lol

I’ll have to try that lol. :slight_smile:

if they are gonna make them tougher, make them less common. the amount of Hunters in Halo 4 in one level is -Yoinking!- ridiculous.

> if they are gonna make them tougher, make them less common. the amount of Hunters in Halo 4 in one level is -Yoinking!- ridiculous.

I see your point, and a good point you make.

Rarer, stronger Hunters would be pretty cool for effect.

Yes, 343 should make hunters bigger and stronger. They are too easy to kill in the more recent games. I would like to have a challenge when facing them in combat, instead of just walking up behind them with a shotgun.

On reach they do exhibit defensive behavior if one is being rode upon. I rode one for a while making the other three very upset. Smashing their shield arms down to ground and dancing in anger.

> if they are gonna make them tougher, make them less common. the amount of Hunters in Halo 4 in one level is -Yoinking!- ridiculous.

There were about 6 Hunters total in the Halo 4 campaign, there was a pair on Reclaimer, Composer, and Shutdown. They were rare enough in Halo 4, and they were huge pushovers. I think you’re thinking more about Spartan Ops, where the designers tried to make pseudo difficulty by spamming powerful enemies at you.

> Yes, 343 should make hunters bigger and stronger. They are too easy to kill in the more recent games. I would like to have a challenge when facing them in combat, instead of just walking up behind them with a shotgun.

Maybe 343 could introduce a bit of feinting for the Hunters. So when a player tries to go behind the Hunter in mid swing, the Hunter could stop suddenly and do a 180 degree turn (Not all the time though, to balance it out). This could help make you have to be more wary about Hunters.

> Is it wrong if I find a Promethean Knight to present more challenge than a Hunter? In cqc, those guys can sweep the hell out of you and are trickier to approach.

I found Knights to be much more difficult to take down. They’re bullet sponges, for one - so on the higher difficulties, I’d expend the majority of my ammo in both weapons trying to take one of the things out. Their teleportation was easily predictable, not in the sense of when they’d do it, but where they’d go. And their melee… shudders

I’ve always found Hunters to be formidable foes, but I’ve never had much of a sense of urgency to take them out when I’m fighting a large swath of enemies. I mean, yeah, they’re at the top of the enemy ladder, but they’ve always just sat off to the side and roared at me once in a while, without ever bothering to disrupt me while I take everything else out! At the very least, they could put forth a little bit of effort to stop me while I’m distracted by something else…

I definitely agree they should be stronger and scarier, it’d give the chapters or checkpoints you fight them in a lot harder and more fun.

And as for the stronger side of things, when in a firefight on REACH I stuck a hunter with a plasma grenade…in the few seconds I had the grenade stuck on the hunter you hear a whimper from it…my brother would clarify he heard it too. I don’t know whether it was only me that’s had that happen to them, it sure as hell was funny though :stuck_out_tongue:

> > Is it wrong if I find a Promethean Knight to present more challenge than a Hunter? In cqc, those guys can sweep the hell out of you and are trickier to approach.
>
> I found Knights to be much more difficult to take down. They’re bullet sponges, for one - so on the higher difficulties, I’d expend the majority of my ammo in both weapons trying to take one of the things out. Their teleportation was easily predictable, not in the sense of when they’d do it, but where they’d go. And their melee… shudders
>
> I’ve always found Hunters to be formidable foes, but I’ve never had much of a sense of urgency to take them out when I’m fighting a large swath of enemies. I mean, yeah, they’re at the top of the enemy ladder, but they’ve always just sat off to the side and roared at me once in a while, without ever bothering to disrupt me while I take everything else out! At the very least, they could put forth a little bit of effort to stop me while I’m distracted by something else…

I know what you mean. They should be bombarding you with fire, not just watching the show. Granted there would be times where they shouldn’t shoot, (friendly fire and all that) but still…

As I’ve said before: they’re Hunters. There supposed to hunt you!

As for the Knights, there melee is deadly. They are harder to defeat. Pity they have to be one great, giant bullet-sponge on harder difficulties though. :frowning:

> I definitely agree they should be stronger and scarier, it’d give the chapters or checkpoints you fight them in a lot harder and more fun.
>
> And as for the stronger side of things, when in a firefight on REACH I stuck a hunter with a plasma grenade…in the few seconds I had the grenade stuck on the hunter you hear a whimper from it…my brother would clarify he heard it too. I don’t know whether it was only me that’s had that happen to them, it sure as hell was funny though :stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly. I’m not saying I want them to be just a bullet-sponge, but I do want them stronger though. You got to admit, being able to finish a Hunter in CE with a single pistol shot was pretty ridiculous! (Albeit, quite amusing) :slight_smile:

Also, whimpering Hunters?! Now that’s something I’ve never seen before!

… Then again, who can blame it if you stuck it with a plasma grenade! :smiley:

They were pretty tough in Halo: Reach. Try going up against them with no power weapons. So, I don’t know what your talking about.