Should Halo Move To A 4 Year Dev Cycle?

As the title asks, should Halo move to a 4 year dev cycle? Games are getting bigger, taking more time to thoroughly polish. But bigger and more time does not necessarily mean more features. And, in Halo 5’s case, it appears to mean less. Sure, Forge and likely other gametypes are on the way. But wouldn’t it have been better to have these things at launch? Despite being in development for 3 years, just like every other core Halo title before it, Halo 5 is lacking in options and variety. It is my personal belief that a 3 year development cycle is no longer a feasible option for the Halo franchise. Not if we want all the features and modes expected of a Halo title at launch and well polished.

So would you rather see a barebones Halo 6 released in 2018? Or a Halo 6 with plenty of things to do for almost all Halo fans at launch in 2019? A Halo 6 that can sustain its population? Or a Halo 6 where its population will quickly wither away?

Halo could possibly do that. 343 could get that amount of dev time to work on the main line Halo games while a different dev (with minimal help from 343) works on spinoff games like Halo Wars and remasters.

I think 343 is juts not as proficient in making games as Bungie and other higher tier game creators they honestly just need more experience I hope the content problem improves with the next Halo.

My favorite part about Halo is the story, so I complete the campaign before doing anything else. The playlists available have kept me occupied and will keep me occupied until the new update drops, and honestly I probably won’t play too many of the social playlists. I am not sure what they are releasing for playlists next, but I like ranked more. And continually and regularly adding content is a better way to keep populations high than just releasing a game. This game is also well made as it is. We have to wait two months to get a big update, so what? A large portion of players won’t have the game until christmas anyway and this current lack of content won’t affect them anyway.

Yes. Even though halo 5 had 3 years of dev time.

OP, Your question is also dripping with bias

Make sure Tom French stays. He has a passion for what hes doing and that will be hard to replace. If only the same could be had for gametypes.

> 2533274832089275;6:
> You’re question is also dripping with bias

Please elaborate.

> 2535413731848215;3:
> I think 343 is juts not as proficient in making games as Bungie and other higher tier game creators they honestly just need more experience I hope the content problem improves with the next Halo.

I think they maybe put a little too many of their resources into getting Warzone in at launch.

> 2533274850465226;9:
> > 2535413731848215;3:
> > I think 343 is juts not as proficient in making games as Bungie and other higher tier game creators they honestly just need more experience I hope the content problem improves with the next Halo.
>
>
> I think they maybe put a little too much of their resources into getting Warzone in at launch.

I think the resources were spent of REQ armors etc. Those man hours should have went somewhere else.

> 2533274850465226;8:
> > 2533274832089275;6:
> > You’re question is also dripping with bias
>
>
> Please elaborate.

> 2533274850465226;1:
> So would you rather see a barebones Halo 6 released in 2018? Or a Halo 6 with plenty of things to do for almost all Halo fans at launch in 2019? A Halo 6 that can sustain its population? Or a Halo 6 where its population will quickly wither away?

Barebones, vs plenty of things, and saying that a population will wither away are all opinions and biased statements.

> 2533274850465226;9:
> > 2535413731848215;3:
> > I think 343 is juts not as proficient in making games as Bungie and other higher tier game creators they honestly just need more experience I hope the content problem improves with the next Halo.
>
>
> I think they maybe put a little too many of their resources into getting Warzone in at launch.

You are saying that there isn’t enough content, but also that they wasted time putting in an entirely original game mode?

I made a thread earlier on here and reddit (people didn’t take kindly to the idea) of a seperate developer like certain affinity making spinoff halo games on an alternating cycle with the 343 games, each having their own unique halo gameplay and innovations, this way they can learn from each other what fans want and do not want, we could experience some incredible stories from the halo universe, it would let us get a new gen halo game with classic gameplay without derailing 343’s “vision” of halo, each game would have the base halo gametypes and features but wouldn’t need to feature every single one

there are just so many positives I see from this, but it will likely never happen

It wouldn’t be a bad choice.

> 2533274805578773;10:
> > 2533274850465226;9:
> > > 2535413731848215;3:
> > > I think 343 is juts not as proficient in making games as Bungie and other higher tier game creators they honestly just need more experience I hope the content problem improves with the next Halo.
> >
> >
> > I think they maybe put a little too much of their resources into getting Warzone in at launch.
>
>
> I think the resources were spent of REQ armors etc. Those man hours should have went somewhere else.

Yes. The artists should be productive and go help the coders fix bugs, and the MP designers balance weapons. /s

The people who make REQ armours are not the same people that create maps, modes, gametypes and gameplay balance changes.

First, did they really run out of time, or is all this missing content intentional as part of some crazed sustain plan? Even assuming they really did run out of time, that could be attributed to having to design a new engine, something I’m doubtful Halo 6 will require.

Second, such a development cycle works better for some games than others. Especially games where the last installment was so amazing and provides so much content that it keeps people hyped for years to come. In a franchise like Halo where the past few releases have been mediocre at best, who is going to wait around that long?

Feels like the title is more appropriate to AAA development in general. A 2 years cycle works well enough in previous generation, but considering the new scale that current gen can endure, so much more can come out by extending the development cycle, or better alternatively, improve the current development pipeline.

Personally, I’d very much appreciate a Halo, or any title for that matter, that had time to carefully choose their focus instead of being constrained by time as much as they can be constrained by upper management or investors. The more time they have to balance their goals pre-development, the better the process can be. Or at least, I’d like to believe that.

Halo should just die now. Tired of seeing the same dead horse being beaten a million times.

> 2533274832089275;11:
> > 2533274850465226;8:
> > > 2533274832089275;6:
> > > You’re question is also dripping with bias
> >
> >
> > Please elaborate.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274850465226;1:
> > So would you rather see a barebones Halo 6 released in 2018? Or a Halo 6 with plenty of things to do for almost all Halo fans at launch in 2019? A Halo 6 that can sustain its population? Or a Halo 6 where its population will quickly wither away?
>
>
> Barebones, vs plenty of things, and saying that a population will wither away are all opinions and biased statements.

of course OP has a bias against a 3 year dev cycle. Look at what it produced. Bias isnt always a bad thing lol

I don’t think it’s necessary. A 3 year cycle should be enough, might need better management though, if time constraints are what is at fault for the immense lack of gametypes and so forth.