Should Halo 5 be delayed? Yes

For those of you who didn’t realize the development time for Halo 5 is half the time 343 had to develop Halo 4. I think Halo 4 was a great game but a lot of things were missing from the game and in my opinion it wasn’t finished. I don’t want Halo 5 to be a great game or an ok game, I want it to be a badass game one of the best Halo games ever. Halo 5 can’t be that with the short development time. I think Halo 5 should come out in 2015 instead of the november 2014 release it was probably going to have. Maybe they should release a multiplayer beta and have us show them the bugs and little things that should be changed before the game releases. It will make the game 20x better I promise. 343i please consider this, Thank You.

It should be, but won’t.

Halo 5 has been in development since before halo 4 was released, and 343 now have a team of almost 400 employees. Halo 4 had much less then that. It doesn’t need to be delayed, we just need a beta to fix bugs and balancing hiccups before launch.

> Halo 5 has been in development since before halo 4 was released, and 343 now have a team of almost 400 employees. Halo 4 had much less then that. It doesn’t need to be delayed, we just need a beta to fix bugs and balancing hiccups before launch.

A beta could potentially kill the game now that it only has 2 years of dev time (it would take too many resources and too much time away from actually making the game). In any case, it’s the original vision that really needs to be good, because no beta can fix that. Look at Halo 4 today, is it good enough? No, it’s much much better but it took them over half a year to get it here and even this is not quite there.

If the game had 3 years of dev time, a beta would be a sure thing, but now…

> > Halo 5 has been in development since before halo 4 was released, and 343 now have a team of almost 400 employees. Halo 4 had much less then that. It doesn’t need to be delayed, we just need a beta to fix bugs and balancing hiccups before launch.
>
> A beta could potentially kill the game now that it only has 2 years of dev time (it would take too many resources and too much time away from actually making the game). In any case, it’s the original vision that really needs to be good, because no beta can fix that. Look at Halo 4 today, is it good enough? No, it’s much much better but it took them over half a year to get it here and even this is not quite there.
>
> If the game had 3 years of dev time, a beta would be a sure thing, but now…

But your also missing the fact that like halo 4, it’s been in development since even before it’s announcement. No one knew halo 4 was in development since 2008 until 343 said it. Halo 5 has likely been in development since before halo 4 launched. They even announced the trilogy all at once, proving that they have a direction or narrative that they plan to follow, while taking into account feedback.

The difference with Halo 4 is that 343i was simultaneously building a company and a team while making the game. The development time of over 3 years was not actually 3 years of development.

343i’s team grew from a small group for a while, and they had several moments where they were shifting around their office as well. They had to learn to work with each other and be a team, and that doesn’t happen overnight.

For Halo 5, they’ve likely been looking into it for a while, considering they had to get used to Xbox One tech first. They have a large team who better know each other and can work together more efficiently.

Only time will tell if the difference in team size and efficiency can really equate to a shorter development time, though. I hope what they learned with Halo 4 will be fresh in their mind so they can come out with a solid experience.

> > > Halo 5 has been in development since before halo 4 was released, and 343 now have a team of almost 400 employees. Halo 4 had much less then that. It doesn’t need to be delayed, we just need a beta to fix bugs and balancing hiccups before launch.
> >
> > A beta could potentially kill the game now that it only has 2 years of dev time (it would take too many resources and too much time away from actually making the game). In any case, it’s the original vision that really needs to be good, because no beta can fix that. Look at Halo 4 today, is it good enough? No, it’s much much better but it took them over half a year to get it here and even this is not quite there.
> >
> > If the game had 3 years of dev time, a beta would be a sure thing, but now…
>
> But your also missing the fact that like halo 4, it’s been in development since even before it’s announcement. No one knew halo 4 was in development since 2008 until 343 said it. Halo 5 has likely been in development since before halo 4 launched. They even announced the trilogy all at once, proving that they have a direction or narrative that they plan to follow, while taking into account feedback.

With that logic, every game has been in development before it was announced and every game needs more than 3 years of dev time. It doesn’t really matter, and I doubt we’ll see a beta unless it’s just a month or two before the game, and TBH that won’t help much.

i agree it needs to be delayed.
even if it were coming out for 360 only i still think it should be delayed.
i want halo to blow all the other next gen consoles out the park.if they take there time in trying to make this the best game ever it will be the best game ever.
seeing how badly halo 4 failed and it has double the development time as halo 5 will it annoys me that it might not live to its hype.
were seeing this alot i hate to bring it up but take cod for example.they rushed all there games and all of there old hardcore fans have left completely as there game gets released broken every year.

> i agree it needs to be delayed.
> even if it were coming out for 360 only i still think it should be delayed.
> i want halo to blow all the other next gen consoles out the park.if they take there time in trying to make this the best game ever it will be the best game ever.
> seeing how badly halo 4 failed and it has double the development time as halo 5 will it annoys me that it might not live to its hype.
> were seeing this alot i hate to bring it up but take cod for example.they rushed all there games and all of there old hardcore fans have left completely as there game gets released broken every year.

Yes it has half the development time as halo 4 but 4x the staff which are more experienced and aware of what works and doesnt making it being developed at 2x the pace of halo 4. Plus this time around they can focus on graphics all they want and it wont ruin the games capabilities as much like in halo 4 due to the 360’s hardware limits.

> With that logic, every game has been in development before it was announced and every game needs more than 3 years of dev time. It doesn’t really matter, and I doubt we’ll see a beta unless it’s just a month or two before the game, and TBH that won’t help much.

Halo Xbox One had been in development for months before it was announced.

> > i agree it needs to be delayed.
> > even if it were coming out for 360 only i still think it should be delayed.
> > i want halo to blow all the other next gen consoles out the park.if they take there time in trying to make this the best game ever it will be the best game ever.
> > seeing how badly halo 4 failed and it has double the development time as halo 5 will it annoys me that it might not live to its hype.
> > were seeing this alot i hate to bring it up but take cod for example.they rushed all there games and all of there old hardcore fans have left completely as there game gets released broken every year.
>
> Yes it has half the development time as halo 4 but 4x the staff which are more experienced and aware of what works and doesnt making it being developed at 2x the pace of halo 4. Plus this time around they can focus on graphics all they want and it wont ruin the games capabilities as much like in halo 4 due to the 360’s hardware limits.

Let’s take a look at Bioware and the Mass Effect series. Their team size probably grew throughout the years, but overall, they had a lot of experience and created amazing games. Look at Mass Effect 1 and 2, both lengthy games, relatively bug-free, great experiences. Mass Effect 2 was built in 3 years, while Mass Effect 1 must have had at least the same amount, if not more.

But then, we have Mass Effect 3. While being an amazing game, without a doubt, it also has many problems, and feels like it was rushed. The ending stands out like a sore thumb, but there are many other glitches present in the game, far more than any other Mass Effect game. They had a very experienced team that was as big, if not bigger, than what they had for the past iterations. So what was the issue? Time. Mass Effect 3 was built in 2 years instead of 3. That extra year would have added a whole 50% extra of development time, allowing them to find glitches, fix them, add more content into the game, and give us a more complete and polished product.

So sure, 343i might have a nice big team. Sure, they might have some experience. But they’re giving themselves a rather short deadline, and I fear that Halo 5 might end up being some buggy pile of poop that has a 5 hour campaign and several missing features. 343i have yet to prove to us that they can make a great Halo game, and rushing out the next one definitely isn’t the way to do so.

> > > i agree it needs to be delayed.
> > > even if it were coming out for 360 only i still think it should be delayed.
> > > i want halo to blow all the other next gen consoles out the park.if they take there time in trying to make this the best game ever it will be the best game ever.
> > > seeing how badly halo 4 failed and it has double the development time as halo 5 will it annoys me that it might not live to its hype.
> > > were seeing this alot i hate to bring it up but take cod for example.they rushed all there games and all of there old hardcore fans have left completely as there game gets released broken every year.
> >
> > Yes it has half the development time as halo 4 but 4x the staff which are more experienced and aware of what works and doesnt making it being developed at 2x the pace of halo 4. Plus this time around they can focus on graphics all they want and it wont ruin the games capabilities as much like in halo 4 due to the 360’s hardware limits.
>
> Let’s take a look at Bioware and the Mass Effect series. Their team size probably grew throughout the years, but overall, they had a lot of experience and created amazing games. Look at Mass Effect 1 and 2, both lengthy games, relatively bug-free, great experiences. Mass Effect 2 was built in 3 years, while Mass Effect 1 must have had at least the same amount, if not more.
>
> But then, we have Mass Effect 3. While being an amazing game, without a doubt, it also has many problems, and feels like it was rushed. The ending stands out like a sore thumb, but there are many other glitches present in the game, far more than any other Mass Effect game. They had a very experienced team that was as big, if not bigger, than what they had for the past iterations. So what was the issue? Time. Mass Effect 3 was built in 2 years instead of 3. That extra year would have added a whole 50% extra of development time, allowing them to find glitches, fix them, add more content into the game, and give us a more complete and polished product.
>
> So sure, 343i might have a nice big team. Sure, they might have some experience. But they’re giving themselves a rather short deadline, and I fear that Halo 5 might end up being some buggy pile of poop that has a 5 hour campaign and several missing features. 343i have yet to prove to us that they can make a great Halo game, and rushing out the next one definitely isn’t the way to do so.

EA exert a lot of pressure on their teams and mass effect 3 was fairly good and not rushed, just people didnt like the endings since they didnt make much sense which was a miss perception of bioware. Plus they were trying out multiplayer for the first time as well thus taking lots of resources away.

Another reason it won’t be delayed: MSFT execs have already stated that Christmas 2014 is when the Xbox One throws down with the PS4 - it will be the true litmus test of which platform is better per the fans. They need Halo 5 for that selling season for a far bigger reason than the success of Halo.

I’m sure if the November deadline approaches and they’re still behind schedule, MSFT will authorize crashing the schedule. Crashing is a project management term which basically means: throwing more resources and money at a problem but keeping the same deadline. It’s a real thing, and it can be used to no detriment to ensure a November '14 release.

Im all for halo 5 or Halo Xbox one to be delay a year or even till the spring, Halo is sadly dying, no need to rush the process along. Instead time needs to be taken to revive it, but i’m not saying 343 cant make an amazing halo game in 2 years I just think that there is no reason to rush a triple A title. Watch Dogs is a good example, they didn’t lose my buy from delaying the game, they just gave me more of a reason to buy it.

2 year of development time is sufficient IMO. Most games go by 2 years. Plus Halo is MS’s flagship series. 343i have likely been the first to test the waters of the Xbox One dev kits last year.

As of now, the only doubts I have are of the team itself and not the time they take.

> > With that logic, every game has been in development before it was announced and every game needs more than 3 years of dev time. It doesn’t really matter, and I doubt we’ll see a beta unless it’s just a month or two before the game, and TBH that won’t help much.
>
> Halo Xbox One had been in development for months before it was announced.

And how is that relevant? As my post states, every game begins development some time before it’s announced. Most games, though, begin development YEARS before they are announced. And Halo Xbox One had, what, half a year? A year at the very best? It’s still less than most games. Everything is relative. HX1 has less dev time than any main title Halo game before it. That is fact.

"Every critic thinks they know about video game development."
If the game is finished, why bother delaying it?
Development doesn’t suddenly begin the second the previous game releases. Sequel development could overlap with development of it’s prequel.
And when it comes down to new hardware like the Xbox One, and 343 being a direct subsidiary of Microsoft, I’d bet that Halo 5 will have been in development for 3-4 years, maybe more, when it releases next year.
Even if Halo 5’s engine has been built directly off of Halo 4’s, there’s still a lot of programming changes to do and expand upon, especially with limitations being lifted with the new hardware. The new hardware would allow for higher resolution textures, better anti-aliasing, etc… so new art assets would need to be modeled to be appropriately up to specs.

> "Every critic thinks they know about video game development."
> If the game is finished, why bother delaying it?
> Development doesn’t suddenly begin the second the previous game releases. Sequel development could overlap with development of it’s prequel.
> And when it comes down to new hardware like the Xbox One, and 343 being a direct subsidiary of Microsoft, I’d bet that Halo 5 will have been in development for 3-4 years, maybe more, when it releases next year.
> Even if Halo 5’s engine has been built directly off of Halo 4’s, there’s still a lot of programming changes to do and expand upon, especially with limitations being lifted with the new hardware. The new hardware would allow for higher resolution textures, better anti-aliasing, etc… so new art assets would need to be modeled to be appropriately up to specs.

This and they wont have to spend as much time altering things to run smoothly with the hardware limitations not being as harsh.

I’ll never understand these threads.

The game will be delayed or not depending on if it’s ready or not. Arbitrarily delaying the game doesn’t mean it magically becomes a better product.

If the game is finished, 343I will release it.
If they need more time, they will delay it.

End of discussion.

No it shouldn’t if u delay it another year the game will lose even more population then it already has u see how few of people are on all the halo games wait another year you would be lucky if even half of what’s left will stay