Should Halo 4 have bloom on certain weapons?

Of course, feel free to state why you feel one way or the other

Don’t worry, it will be done in a much more tasteful manner than Reach.

I don’t mind either way.

Yes: automatic weapons.

The concept of bloom isn’t bad, its just been implemented badly in Reach. Mainly because bloom simply doesn’t fit each weapon.
Think about it: a weapon like the DMR should rather have a kickback (having the barrel climb steadily if you fire it very fast) instead of having its reticle grow bigger.
At the same time you got fully automatic weapons like the AR where bloom feels a lot more natural…because it isn’t a (semi)precision weapon.
So if there is a distinction between those sets of weapons (after all: bloom/recoil on a Rocket Launcher makes no sense, same goes for the Splazer because it has a cool down, or Shotgun which you can’t shoot rapidly anyways) there is still place for bloom.

In short I’d say:

• Recoil on precision weapons (medium-long distance weapons)
  • Bloom on automatic weapons (short-medium distance weapons)

The CE AR and M6D have it.
The pre-TU H2 BR has it.
The Halo 3 BR and AR have it.
Nearly every Reach weapon has it.

Just as long as magnetism doesn’t decrease too much with bloom (preferably none), then yes, bloom away.

I don’t get it. Don’t people know that every 1st Person Halo game has had bloom on some weapons?

Bloom works on high-RoF automatic weapons. It doesn’t work on precision weapons. Simple statistics.

Personally, I’d like recoil on things like BR/DMR, bloom on AR and such, and some bloom and some recoil on the sniper. H3’s sniper definitely took more skill to use, but a lot of times it felt pretty random just how high it jumped or where the actual bullet wound up, and sometimes (at extreme ranges, this was mostly an issue with customs) you’d completely loose sight of your target. I’d rather have less kickback but with some bloom to balance it out.

> Think about it: a weapon like the DMR should rather have a kickback (having the barrel climb steadily if you fire it very fast) instead of having its reticle grow bigger.
> At the same time you got fully automatic weapons like the AR where bloom feels a lot more natural…because it isn’t a (semi)precision weapon.

The AR and DMR both shoot the “same” bullet. You propose that the AR continue to act like an SMG-type while the DMR should act as it names states, a long-range support weapon near exclusively, instead of being a battle rifle, a heavy calibre rifle outfitted for variable engagement ranges.

As far as blooming automatics go:
Haven’t you ever used the F2000 or FAMAS in Battlefield? Now those are ARs one can use as an SMG and a DMR with the right trigger finger… Those are AR-type weapons… Utility-type weapons.
Most players opt to use 1 magazine per kill, I prefer to tap the trigger like I’ve got a CE-Plasma Pistol. It doesn’t matter the reload speed if almost 2 squads can be eliminated in a single mag :slight_smile:
And the range that they’re effective to with controlled bursting… WOW :slight_smile:

Bloom can be a really great thing for casual and competitive play in halo if done right, so yes.

I think bloom is okay if its tweaked properly.

> Yes: automatic weapons.
>
> The concept of bloom isn’t bad, its just been implemented badly in Reach. Mainly because bloom simply doesn’t fit each weapon.
> Think about it: a weapon like the DMR should rather have a kickback (having the barrel climb steadily if you fire it very fast) instead of having its reticle grow bigger.
> At the same time you got fully automatic weapons like the AR where bloom feels a lot more natural…because it isn’t a (semi)precision weapon.
> So if there is a distinction between those sets of weapons (after all: bloom/recoil on a Rocket Launcher makes no sense, same goes for the Splazer because it has a cool down, or Shotgun which you can’t shoot rapidly anyways) there is still place for bloom.
>
> In short I’d say:
> - Recoil on precision weapons (medium-long distance weapons)
> - Bloom on automatic weapons (short-medium distance weapons)

I agree with most of this, however there should be recoil on heavy weapons as well (at least the recoil animation). It doesn’t make sense for a Spartan to be able to control a huge gun but not a little rifle.

As for automatics it makes sense for them to have bloom because of vibration. However, the technology of the time period could negate the weapon vibration to a point where it is almost non-existant so it also makes sense that they would have no bloom.

If an auto has no bloom there should (and will) be some other way to supress its effectiveness. Examples include: overheat, new damage tables, small clip size, etc.

Bloom on assault rifle works well. There has always been bloom on the AR and Reach just displayed it. I think it should be displayed similarly in H4. I do wonder if making the assault rifle very powerful but putting severe recoil on it would be a good way of balancing that weapon. Making it very effective in close range but very difficult for midrange and essentially useless for long range.

> > Think about it: a weapon like the DMR should rather have a kickback (having the barrel climb steadily if you fire it very fast) instead of having its reticle grow bigger.
> > At the same time you got fully automatic weapons like the AR where bloom feels a lot more natural…because it isn’t a (semi)precision weapon.
>
> The AR and DMR both shoot the “same” bullet. You propose that the AR continue to act like an SMG-type while the DMR should act as it names states, a long-range support weapon near exclusively, instead of being a battle rifle, a heavy calibre rifle outfitted for variable engagement ranges.
>
> As far as blooming automatics go:
> Haven’t you ever used the F2000 or FAMAS in Battlefield? Now those are ARs one can use as an SMG and a DMR with the right trigger finger… Those are AR-type weapons… Utility-type weapons.
> Most players opt to use 1 magazine per kill, I prefer to tap the trigger like I’ve got a CE-Plasma Pistol. It doesn’t matter the reload speed if almost 2 squads can be eliminated in a single mag :slight_smile:
> And the range that they’re effective to with controlled bursting… WOW :slight_smile:

Although true (and yes, I do play Battlefield and know the mechanics of the weapons), I feel such a system would be a bit too much for Halo.
Halo in it’s base is not realistic, nor is it overly complicated in its shooting mechanics.
So although it’s true that both fire a similar/same caliber bullet and therefore practically should behave similar in terms of feedback, and that you should in real life (or more realistic games like BF or Operation Flashpoint for instance) try to pace your shooting to effectively switch firerate (and with that the feedback of the weapon)…that simply would go a bit too deep for a Halo game.

So in that case it’s perhaps best to throw realism out of the door completely and just go for arcade style settings. Which would mean what I said above.
And even then you could play with the trigger to try and avoid the weapon giving you recoil or bloom…it’s just that people aren’t used to that/don’t ever do that in Halo games…

> Don’t worry, it will be done in a much more tasteful manner than Reach.

Hopefully… :confused: