Should Evade Return?

Should Evade return and (if so) how?
I’d like to see the ability to “barrel-roll” become a counterpart option to the innate ability to Sprint, rather than an AA. Imagine being able to choose (for each loadout) between Sprint and Evade. This would give players the choice between increased mobility and increased maneuverability.

I’m aware that many complaints that made 343i trade Evade for T-Pack was the fact that it made its user more difficult to hit (by changing hit-boxes during the animation) and, quite frankly, I don’t understand how it was a problem in that aspect. Evade was meant to make its user more difficult to kill, after all. If anything, it should’ve simply lost the possibility for a second consecutive barrel-roll (in my opinion).

If Evade was to return, it would also mandate for the Thruster Pack to receive an overhaul. Perhaps increasing distance, speed, or trajectory to make it more useful/distinguished.

No thanks… Didn’t like it in Reach probably wouldn’t like it now. But it was fun to mess around with in custom games but in Matchmaking it was annoying.

sure, why not.

Well, i wasn’t too much of a fan of it, but i think it should return. However, i believe Thruster Pack is basically Evade. Only difference is you evade/jump, not roll, and it goes a short distance.

Well, it would be a pretty pointless AA seeing as how we have Thruster Pack.

Okay, if 343 happen to keep default Sprint for Spartans, Elites should get default Evade.

Of course, I’d rather they kept default Sprint only for BTB, Invasion, Infection, etc.

If sprint was to return, we should be allowed to sprint without guns up and without having to stop. That’s really the only way I would tolerate sprint in halo. If evade was to return it should be a jump. The rolling shrunk the hit box and it made it unbalanced. It’s range would also have to be shorter. Do you see where I’m going with this? Thruster is evade. Thruster is balanced, evade is not.

I would like something more like a dodge-roll that would be a more limited evade but would be a standard ability like sprint is now (sprint would still be there) and you would trigger it by holding the sprint button then snapping the movement analog in a given direction. It would be useful as a reflex dodge against random grenades and such, It wont really save anyone from a player that’s skilled enough to get the kill anyway.

I loved Evade, but even my bias cannot escape the fact that it was simply too powerful. It was capable of everything the sprint was, except faster, and it was much more versatile. Like sprint it could transfare you around quickly and get you out of encounters. But the fact that you didn’t need to turn around, that you could just evade any direction at any moment, is what made it an even more useful escape tool than sprint.

So, would I like if Evade were to return? Absolutely. It was a fun an versatile ability. Should it return? No, it most certainly shouldn’t. The benefits of using it are still too high compared to the effort required.

EDIT:

That said, I think the basic concept of it could definitely be developed into a good movement trait. The main problems of Evade are the long travel distance and multiple uses. In a sense, Thruster Pack fixed a lot of what was wrong with Evade, but made unnecessary changes such as the forced third person view. But a combination of these abilities could definitely be developed to something that is good enough to be a default movement trait.

Ditch Evade and keep Thruster.

I actually prefer evade over thruster pack. Unless they buff thruster pack in the next game, I would love to see evade return.

Truthfully, I would actually prefer if they buff thruster pack in the next game, seeing as it’s almost the same as evade and it can be used to clear small gaps.

> Well, it would be a pretty pointless AA seeing as how we have Thruster Pack.
>
> Okay, if 343 happen to keep default Sprint for Spartans, Elites should get default Evade.
>
> Of course, I’d rather they kept default Sprint only for BTB, Invasion, Infection, etc.

Not to sound rude or anything, but did you read the original post? I said that I think Evade should be an innate ability, rather than an AA, like what they did with Sprint.

That said, I’d like for some of you to elaborate your thoughts on why this is/isn’t a good concept by answering the following questions:

• Should Evade be an “innate ability”, similarly to Sprint?
  • Should Evade remain 1st-person?
  • Should Evade only be used once before needing to recharge (unlike Reach)?
  • Should Evade be nerfed to travel a shorter distance?

Personally, I think that Evade should be included, as the only arguments opposed to it are that “Its T-Pack” or “It was annoying and made it harder to shoot people when they used it”. It can spice up CQB engagements to an extent (while giving Halo an interesting movement option that people won’t be complaining that they copied from CoD).

I am always tentative to suggest any significant changes to fundamental base traits such as aiming or base movement. It’s one of those ‘does it feel like Halo things’. Potentially it could be a hold x to sprint, tap to evade thing. Replacing the need for the thruster pack. It would have to toned down from the Reach version but it could work.

However, in essence evade is just a strafing ability. So that begs the question. Why not just make strafing more effective? A good side step with a crouch mixed in would have a similar gameplay effect. Like sprint and vaulting adding evade wouldn’t add anything that classic movement mechanics don’t all ready allow it’s just an animation. One that distorts hit boxes, which would be annoying.

> > Well, it would be a pretty pointless AA seeing as how we have Thruster Pack.
> >
> > Okay, if 343 happen to keep default Sprint for Spartans, Elites should get default Evade.
> >
> > Of course, I’d rather they kept default Sprint only for BTB, Invasion, Infection, etc.
>
> Not to sound rude or anything, but did you read the original post? I said that I think Evade should be an innate ability, rather than an AA, like what they did with Sprint.
>
> That said, I’d like for some of you to elaborate your thoughts on why this is/isn’t a good concept by answering the following questions:
> - Should Evade be an “innate ability”, similarly to Sprint?
> - Should Evade remain 1st-person?
> - Should Evade only be used once before needing to recharge (unlike Reach)?
> - Should Evade be nerfed to travel a shorter distance?
>
> Personally, I think that Evade should be included, as the only arguments opposed to it are that “Its T-Pack” or “It was annoying and made it harder to shoot people when they used it”. It can spice up CQB engagements to an extent (while giving Halo an interesting movement option that people won’t be complaining that they copied from CoD).

I personally think Sprint shouldn’t be an innate ability, so having Evade as an innate ability wouldn’t really be too good either.
But if Sprint is kept as an innate ability, it should be limited to Spartans while Elites are given Evade as an innate ability.

I do believe that Evade should remain a first-person action.

Yes.

If Evade can only be used once, it should travel the same distance as it does in Reach, if not farther.
However, if Evade can be used twice, it’s distance should be shortened.

P.S. Sorry about my first post.
I posted that late last night before going to sleep, so I wasn’t level-headed.

people always complain that the hit boxes change to much with evade and i think that is a petty argument, a decent player should be able to kill someone with evade no problem because they are sacrificing shooting for mobility.

it seems as though 343 are making the game too user (noob) friendly. nobody should just be able to pick up a controller and be a pro. instead players should have to take time to figure out how the game works and learn how to combat what is thrown at them.

I never had any problems with evade in reach and think it spices up gameplay, besides how fun is it always being in combat at the same level as everyone else, and by this I mean head to head shoulder to shoulder.

and yes I think it should come back as a first person ability, I don’t think any AA’s should be 3rd person, its make them too OP because you can see all around you while using something that is already aiding you.

Yes it makes combat more interesting, also i want to swap the -Yoink- hardlight shield out for armor lock.

yes bring Evade back!!

Evade was wonderful for Custom Games and Forge, and it should definitely make a return! Matchmaking isn’t everything.

> <mark>Evade was wonderful for Custom Games and Forge</mark>, and it should definitely make a return! Matchmaking isn’t everything.

Agreed

So, what makes Evade lackluster/overpowered in Matchmaking? Given a few changes, couldn’t it be more balanced?

Thruster Pack is a better concept in every way. No reason to bring back Evade when Thruster Pack can be edited to do the same things and then some.