Should Chief's "New" Armor be Unlockable?

Ah, remember the good old days when Chief’s armor was the only option and the only way to customize it was the color?
Or when it was default and people couldn’t wait to unlock Recon or Hayabusa?

Well, they made the “old” Mark VI unlockable in Halo 4 and that was brilliant because the same armor I thought only noobs wore in Halo 3 I now wanted so desperately.

So, should the “new” Mark VI be available in Halo XBO and if so, how should it be unlocked?

Or should it be reserved only for Chief?

My personal opinion:
Complete campaign on Heroic unlocks Mark V
Complete campaign on Legendary unlocks “classic” Mark VI
Only Chief gets the “new” Mark VI since Cortana customized it for him.

What do you guys think?

Mythic run it on one life each level, that’s how you will unlock it.

> Mythic run it on one life each level, that’s how you will unlock it.

Well, then I’m never getting it … ever. lol.

Mark V should be unlocked by playing 100 games in matchmaking.

Mark VI should be unlocked by playing 500 games in matchmaking.

The Cortana VI should be unlocked by beating the campaign on legendary and playing 1000 games in matchmaking.

No. That set was made specifically for him by a dying friend, and throwing it in matchmaking would undermine any significance it might hold for Chief. Also, it wouldn’t make sense canonically.

> Mark V should be unlocked by playing 100 games in matchmaking.
>
> Mark VI should be unlocked by playing 500 games in matchmaking.
>
> The Cortana VI should be unlocked by beating the campaign on legendary and playing 1000 games in matchmaking.

Absolutely not! You know how many people play Halo 4 and never touched the campaign? I’m one of the few who feel the campaign is the most important part of a game, and us campaign junkies need something like Chief’s armor to show off to all the people who never touched the campaign and therefore don’t even know who Chief is, so now that I just made this realization as I’m typing this I completely changed my mind and sure, why not? 100 games in matchmaking is a hell of a lot easier anyway … unless you meant “win 100 games”.

> No. That set was made specifically for him by a dying friend, and throwing it in matchmaking would undermine any significance it might hold for Chief. Also, it wouldn’t make sense canonically.

I kinda forgot that matchmaking is canon now. But we do agree on keeping that set exclusively for the Chief.

> No. That set was made specifically for him by a dying friend, and throwing it in matchmaking would undermine any significance it might hold for Chief. Also, it wouldn’t make sense canonically.

Having the armor available in multiplayer wouldn’t make it’s significance in the universe any less plausible.

Plus, it can indeed make sense canonically. Cortana simply updated John’s Mark VI armor to look more like a Mark IV variant. Naomi updated her Mark VII armor to resemble a line of Mark V armor. It stands to reason that some of the remaining IIs and IIIs could make choices like these as well.

Myself I like H3s way to unlocking armor. Do certain things to unlock more. Felt way too easy and not as enjoyable just to level up and get them along the way…or it could have been it felt that way because it was super easy to rank up in H4 though.

Edit:I hate auto-****ing correct

> > No. That set was made specifically for him by a dying friend, and throwing it in matchmaking would undermine any significance it might hold for Chief. Also, it wouldn’t make sense canonically.
>
> Having the armor available in multiplayer wouldn’t make it’s significance in the universe any less plausible.
>
> Plus, it can indeed make sense canonically. Cortana simply updated John’s Mark VI armor to look more like a Mark IV variant. Naomi updated her Mark VII armor to resemble a line of Mark V armor. It stands to reason that some of the remaining IIs and IIIs could make choices like these as well.

I’m fine with some sort of look-alike set, but an exact copy? The player is not the Master Chief, and 343 are finally pushing that fact in the Champaign. As John’s armor is his greatest visual representation, allowing players to run around in matchmaking playing dress-up would damage that effort.

> Myself I like H3s way to unlocking armor. Do certain things to unlock more. Felt way too easy and not as enjoyable just to level up and get them along the way…or it could have been it felt that way because it was super easy to rank up in H4 though.
>
> Edit:I hate auto-****ing correct

Commendations?

> > Myself I like H3s way to unlocking armor. Do certain things to unlock more. Felt way too easy and not as enjoyable just to level up and get them along the way…or it could have been it felt that way because it was super easy to rank up in H4 though.
> >
> > Edit:I hate auto-****ing correct
>
> Commendations?

Probably yeah, but not like H4s though. Felt too grindy. Grind is good…but when there’s too much of it… Maybe have it like Kill 3 Spartans with a single Sniper round at the same time. Have some be grinds and others where you have to do something rover the top/special.

Not sure why unique armor in Matchmaking/Customgames HAS to be strictly canonical.

Haunted helmet in reach, the Hayubasa (Spelling?) armor in H3, the Flaming Helmets (Eternal armor effect), Ricochet armor… Does everything really need to be strict and serious in game modes separate from the Campaign? Aren’t we entitled to a little bit of fun and uniqueness?

It’s not going to disrupt the storyline in any way or form - If it was added in as like, the next Recon or something. I highly doubt John’s going to lament in the H5 Campaign about “Oh look at everyone running about in my armor…” because of something that happened in Matchmaking.

But hey, those are just my thoughts. I wouldn’t be against it, but I would understand if they chose not to.

I guess around 80% of the matchmaking community might be wearing that armor and color configs once it becomes accessible.

> Not sure why unique armor in Matchmaking/Customgames HAS to be strictly canonical.
>
> Haunted helmet in reach, the Hayubasa (Spelling?) armor in H3, the Flaming Helmets (Eternal armor effect), Ricochet armor… Does everything really need to be strict and serious in game modes separate from the Campaign? Aren’t we entitled to a little bit of fun and uniqueness?
>
> It’s not going to disrupt the storyline in any way or form - If it was added in as like, the next Recon or something. I highly doubt John’s going to lament in the H5 Campaign about “Oh look at everyone running about in my armor…” because of something that happened in Matchmaking.
>
>
> But hey, those are just my thoughts. I wouldn’t be against it, but I would understand if they chose not to.

Hayabusa and Ricochet are canon, and flaming helmets and armor effects could be explained away as just a special form of award or recognition generated by the simulator. But people running around dressed EXACTLY like the Master Chief?

And of course it wouldn’t directly affect the Champaign. I never said that. What it’s going to do is influence how people view the Champaign. Cheapen its impact.

> Ah, remember the good old days when Chief’s armor was the only option and the only way to customize it was the color?
> Or when it was default and people couldn’t wait to unlock Recon or Hayabusa?
>
> Well, they made the “old” Mark VI unlockable in Halo 4 and that was brilliant because the same armor I thought only noobs wore in Halo 3 I now wanted so desperately.
>
> So, should the “new” Mark VI be available in Halo XBO and if so, how should it be unlocked?
>
> Or should it be reserved only for Chief?
>
>
> My personal opinion:
> Complete campaign on Heroic unlocks Mark V
> Complete campaign on Legendary unlocks “classic” Mark VI
> Only Chief gets the “new” Mark VI since Cortana customized it for him.
>
>
> What do you guys think?

Personally, I’d think it’d be best if Chief was the only one with his armor. I mean, look what happened to Emile. His helmet was awesome, then once everyone started to wear it, it got stale and a lot of people got sick of looking at it after some time. If that happened, Chief just wouldn’t be the same to me. I do think we should get Mark V and Mark VI, just not Chief’s.

> > Not sure why unique armor in Matchmaking/Customgames HAS to be strictly canonical.
> >
> > Haunted helmet in reach, the Hayubasa (Spelling?) armor in H3, the Flaming Helmets (Eternal armor effect), Ricochet armor… Does everything really need to be strict and serious in game modes separate from the Campaign? Aren’t we entitled to a little bit of fun and uniqueness?
> >
> > It’s not going to disrupt the storyline in any way or form - If it was added in as like, the next Recon or something. I highly doubt John’s going to lament in the H5 Campaign about “Oh look at everyone running about in my armor…” because of something that happened in Matchmaking.
> >
> >
> > But hey, those are just my thoughts. I wouldn’t be against it, but I would understand if they chose not to.
>
> Hayabusa and Ricochet are canon, and flaming helmets and armor effects could be explained away as just a special form of award or recognition generated by the simulator. But people running around dressed EXACTLY like the Master Chief?
>
> And of course it wouldn’t directly affect the Champaign. I never said that. What it’s going to do is influence how people view the Champaign. Cheapen its impact.

Honestly, being able to use Chief’s armour in multiplayer or not has never ever affected how I viewed the campaign at all, I don’t see why that would start now. I understand the point you’re trying to make, but I don’t think that it has as big of an effect as you think.

And how are the Haunted Helmet and armour effects more realistic than people running around looking like Master Chief? One of them is a set of armour that can be recreated by people in the universe, and others are fancy effects or skulls in helmets that don’t even make sense, even with a simulator explanation.

> > > No. That set was made specifically for him by a dying friend, and throwing it in matchmaking would undermine any significance it might hold for Chief. Also, it wouldn’t make sense canonically.
> >
> > Having the armor available in multiplayer wouldn’t make it’s significance in the universe any less plausible.
> >
> > Plus, it can indeed make sense canonically. Cortana simply updated John’s Mark VI armor to look more like a Mark IV variant. Naomi updated her Mark VII armor to resemble a line of Mark V armor. It stands to reason that some of the remaining IIs and IIIs could make choices like these as well.
>
> I’m fine with some sort of look-alike set, but an exact copy? The player is not the Master Chief, and 343 are finally pushing that fact in the Champaign. As John’s armor is his greatest visual representation, allowing players to run around in matchmaking playing dress-up would damage that effort.

Literally tons of players choose to wear John’s armor and change their Spartan tags to S117. I’d say the effort is already broken.

Well actually I think the “New MK VI” from Halo 4 should be unlockable in Halo 4: so long as the process to get it is extremely difficult.

I think the same should be for Halo (5) as well. Like a similar process to the old Recon Vidmaster system.

> Literally tons of players choose to wear John’s armor and change their Spartan tags to S117. I’d say the effort is already broken.

Except they CAN’T wear Chief’s armor. Not yet. Just imitate it. The fact that so many people would do nothing but copycat him completely if given the chance is all the more reason not to allow it.