Should Armor Abilities be Removed from Halo 5

Should Armor Abilities be Removed from Halo 5?

Please vote and discuss below.

Everyone please ignore the original poll and vote on the expanded one with more options.

Why isnt there a 'change them for balancing reasons but keep them option?

OP, tho I like that you’re trying to ask how we should handle AAs, but your poll, needs more options.

I voted “Keep them as is”, ONLY because it’s the only option that even remotely matches mine.

I say keep them, BUT, they need a major rework, a step back from what we have currently.

AAs need to be reverted to what Halo 3’s Equipment’s design, I’m talking making AAs map spawns, make them one use consume, instead of infinite use and player spawn like we have now.

The main problem people have with AAs right now is that players spawn with AAs, and they’re able to use their AAs over and over and over again, and often use them as “Oh -Yoink-, I’m about to die” panic button.

You take the problem, change AAs to remove the problem, and bam, you have a system that works, and that everyone likes.

I went ahead and added some options. Thanks for the input guys.

I don’t see why they should remove, The AA’s can be better balance for a arena shooter the developers got to make right. They can also better improve teamwork.

Bad AA’s: jetpack, PV, AC

Good AA’s:HLS, thruster, regen, auto sentry

> Bad Overpowered AA’s: jetpack, PV, AC
> Good Underpowered/useless AA’s:HLS, thruster, regen, auto sentry

Fixed.

AA’s will always be either overpowered or useless. There is no way to “balance” them. In order to make players want to pick and use a particular AA, it needs to have a noticeable effect on gameplay (JP, AC, PV); otherwise, they’ll just forget the AA exists (AS, RF, HS) and never use it. When AAs have a noticeable effect on gameplay, we call them overpowered. There is no way to make an AA useful without it having a noticeable effect on gameplay.

The reason that AAs will always be detrimental to gameplay is that they’re usable at will and an infinite number of times during a player’s life. If all AAs became either powerups or Equipment, we wouldn’t have this problem.

AAs currently ( in reach and H4) have too large an impact on game play derails too much from our core gameplay and dictates map design too much. I include sprint with AAs by the way. Balanced or not, they change game flow way too much because every player has them basically all the time. That is too much. Switching them to map pickups could work and solves all of the issues with AAs.

AAs get complained about because they are either not properly balanced or have too big an impact on gameplay and map design. Moving them to map pickups would keep them from having that impact on gameplay and maps because they would’ve more limited in use and can be chosen for specific maps that they will work on like current power weapons and vehicles. Balancing would not be as big an issue because they would not longer have to balance themselves as much against each other since they are so much more limited.

This would simplify so much more things in this game.

My basic ideas:

1.)Get rid of AC, JP, PV except for Custom Games/Forge.

2.)Place AA’s on map, make sure they make sense to be on the map they are on.

3.)Make AA’s have a fuel bar like they currently do, but make it so it doesn’t recharge.

4.)AA’s are dropped when players die, can be picked up by other players, but the AA retains the amount of fuel it had when the player died or swapped it.

5.)Have Equipment return as they were in Halo 3, as single-use map pickups.

6.)As a result of this, Regen & AS will go back to being equipment.

7.)Equipment and AA’s take up the same slot.

I think armor abilities should stay in Halo 5.

I think just placing them on the map and giving them infinite uses is the best solution, only they disappear when you die instead of being dropped.

Putting a binary limit on a stream based ability like jetpack wouldn’t make much sense (one burst of jetpack? one burst of hardlight shield? odd), and to be honest none of the abilities are really powerful enough to warrant a one-time use only aspect.

Well, let me clarify. Yes, the jetpack can be map breaking, but only if its placed on elevated maps. If you put the jetpack on a map like sanctuary all it does is give the user a slight advantage in combat.

Regardless I wouldn’t want to see most of them return. I’d rather see the bad concepts replaced with good ones if they must come back.

> I think just placing them on the map and giving them infinite uses is the best solution, only they disappear when you die instead of being dropped.
>
> Putting a binary limit on a stream based ability like jetpack wouldn’t make much sense (one burst of jetpack?), and to be honest none of the abilities are really powerful enough to warrant a one-time use only aspect.
>
> Well, let me clarify. Yes, the jetpack can be map breaking, but only if its placed on elevated maps. If you put the jetpack on a map like sanctuary all it does is give the user a slight advantage in combat.
>
> Regardless I wouldn’t want to see most of them return. I’d rather see the bad concepts replaced with good ones if they must come back.

When it comes to Jetpack, I’m very on the fence about it, it’s annoying AA, that drives me nuts. But in a way, what you’ve stated makes sense, and I suggest that Jetpack is either reworked, or given another way of limiting it from an infinite use AA like it is now.

When people used jet packs it never bothered me I just sprinted underneath them and gunned them down. I hated using jetpacks because I use bumper jumper controls, which are good controls and I recommend you should try them it would take you a few matches to get use to the controls then you will like it. The thing with bumper jumper controls is that use the X button for AAs so it was difficult to aim properly with a jetpack but the rest of the AAs it works fine :slight_smile:

> When people used jet packs it never bothered me I just sprinted underneath them and gunned them down. I hated using jetpacks because I use bumper jumper controls, which are good controls and I recommend you should try them it would take you a few matches to get use to the controls then you will like it. The thing with bumper jumper controls is that use the X button for AAs so it was difficult to aim properly with a jetpack but the rest of the AAs it works fine :slight_smile:

I also use Bumper Jumper so stay miles away from JP xD
The biggest problem with Jetpack is how it ruins map control and gives the user an unfair height advantage.

I think it would be quite unprogressive to remove AAs entirely.
Their concept isn’t broken, it’s just that they haven’t been designed or implemented properly.

Before you decide to remove something I think you should ask yourself what the idea could potentially add to the gameplay experience.
I think AAs can add flexibility, variety, new strategies and creativity to the general combat. A different and overall positive variable to gameplay.

Now you have two options: either you can place AAs on map or you make them available/ selectable at spawn.

In case they will be available and selectable at spawn how it is currently, I think aside some individual major and minor tweaking (i.e. AC should encourage movement and CQC and not camping and sniping) they should either have specific limited uses in combination with specific recharge times (depending on the kind of AA the amount of uses could differ) or simply significant longer recharge times to prevent constant and thoughtless AA spam and to give them more of a tactical value.
I think the only trouble makers when it comes to balance are the one’s which enhance movement (Sprint, Jetpack) since aside the individual balancing, the maps have to be properly designed for them, otherwise they will become “annoying” or even game-breaking.
The solution in that regard is either you make one of those movement AAs a default ability and making it an inherent part of map design, while removing the other ones which enhance movement, or you design maps specifically for certain movement AAs or AAs in general, what will limit the player to a pre-set AA selection (nothing negative though in my opinion).
The only exception is Thruster Pack in my opinion, because its effect and impact isn’t as drastically but you won’t be able to develop its full potential nonetheless.

The other way of course would be to place AAs on map, likely the easiest way to successfully achieve.
Now again aside some major and minor individual tweaks you can either make them 1 time uses, limited uses or infinite uses.
From the principle AAs are the same like (power) weapons. They both offer the player a controllable and temporary advantage.
Hence, I think limiting equipment in H3 to 1 use only was an awful idea because it made it way too situational. On the other hand unlimited uses would give the player with the AA too much power over his/her opponents who are not equipped with one.
I mean, you don’t place weapons with a single round or infinite ammo on the map either.
So, when you place them on the map I think individual limited uses in combination with recharge times would suit them best as well.

In addition, I think each AA, be it placed on the map or available at spawn, should receive a reasonable visible clue (in a way like Jetpack does it) to offer an observant player the fair chance to recognize and effectively encounter a player with an AA before he/she uses it.
Besides, I think you should perhaps be able to change your AA with fallen enemies or team mates, to allow the player to adapt to the battlefield during combat.

I see no reason why they should be removed, except promethean vision of course. The game would feel way too limited, like Reach, when everyone’s using sprint.

They should be map pickups. Not with only one-time-usage. It depends about the ability. Lets say abilities like thruster pack, hologram and hardlight shield should be with 3-5 times usage. And the more powerful abilities/equipment like bubble shield, regen. field and autosentry should be with only 1 times usage.

I think we should remove AA’s but turn them into equipment. Instead of being able to pick your AA for your loadout you could pick your equipment. Some of the current AA’s could be transferred over into one time uses. For instance, active camo, promethean vision, regen, autosentry, or you might even bring back a weakened version of armor lock.
Many of these are extremely annoying when exploit through recharged AA’s. Like Active Camo, placing in into the game with a one time usage constraint would mean call for careful planning for the user. Sure you can camp at an objective with it but only for a restricted amount of time. It forces the user to plan out when it is most necessary to use it in order to hide from the enemies he/she deems most dangerous. Thus forcing a decision between using it when there is only one skilled player vs. using it when there is two less skilled players.
We also could bring back other strategic equipment like the grav lift, flare, radar jammer, or power drain and perhaps bubble shield as well. They all have specific functions that have different advantages different situations. A radr jammer could help with an ambush or a bubble shield could provide vital cover from a wraith instantly changing the dynamic of the game.

> > Bad Overpowered AA’s: jetpack, PV, AC
> > Good Underpowered/useless AA’s:HLS, thruster, regen, auto sentry
>
> Fixed.
>
> AA’s will always be either overpowered or useless. <mark>There is no way to “balance” them.</mark> In order to make players want to pick and use a particular AA, it needs to have a noticeable effect on gameplay (JP, AC, PV); otherwise, they’ll just forget the AA exists (AS, RF, HS) and never use it. When AAs have a noticeable effect on gameplay, we call them overpowered. There is no way to make an AA useful without it having a noticeable effect on gameplay.
>
> The reason that AAs will always be detrimental to gameplay is that they’re usable at will and an infinite number of times during a player’s life. If all AAs became either powerups or Equipment, we wouldn’t have this problem.

You don’t know that, they can be fix. How about we stop assuming they can’t be fix and instead fix them, AA’s can work in halo in a fair way. Plus thruster pack and hls are one the most best and unbreaking AA’s in the game, there definably not useless.

> Putting a binary limit on a stream based ability like jetpack wouldn’t make much sense (one burst of jetpack?

Halo 3 had that, except it was an an equipment called Gravity Lift.

> > AA’s will always be either overpowered or useless. <mark>There is no way to “balance” them.</mark> In order to make players want to pick and use a particular AA, it needs to have a noticeable effect on gameplay (JP, AC, PV); otherwise, they’ll just forget the AA exists (AS, RF, HS) and never use it. When AAs have a noticeable effect on gameplay, we call them overpowered. There is no way to make an AA useful without it having a noticeable effect on gameplay.
> >
> > The reason that AAs will always be detrimental to gameplay is that they’re usable at will and an infinite number of times during a player’s life. If all AAs became either powerups or Equipment, we wouldn’t have this problem.
>
> You don’t know that, they can be fix.

You don’t know that they can be fixed. As I said, by their very nature compared to Halo’s existing gameplay, AAs will always be game-breaking or near-useless, and I’m willing to bet money that if they’re included in Halo Xbox One, players will still be complaining about them.

I’m going to try and convince everyone armor abilities should stay exactly how they are.

Armor abilities have been in the past two halo games, and at this point they are an important part of the franchise. They are something unique to halo and a good selling point for it. Getting rid of them is like getting rid of weapon attachments in cod. Outright removal would be a terrible move on 343s part.

Some are calling for them to be placed on map. Ok well if that was to happen, they would need to be buffed considerably. Most players will not care and/or forget to go out of their way just to pick up an armor ability for a life. If they are stronger players will care though. Ask yourself, “would I like to see armor abilities placed on map AND buffed?” the former without the latter would be bad. Having them more mild on spawn is the best choice.

Some want them as one time use. This is just silly. I’m chuckling to myself imagining someone thruster packing or using hologram once. Pointless. This would just make armor abilities terrible, unless they received MASSIVE buffs. I’m talking like a 20 second promethean scan or a halo CE style camo.

I mean, everyone has a favorite armor ability right? You don’t want that gone do you? (hopeful elbow nudge). Armor abilities are fun and tactical/skillful, it is best they stay as is.

Make the Jetpack, Promethean Vision and Active Camo as Special AAs. Placed on map and limited just like power weapons.

Then buff all the Loadout ones by 25% so they could be much more useful in combat.