Should 343i Drop The Xbox One Version Of Infinite?

I know this is going to be a controversial topic for some, but hear me out. I just got done watching the newest Digital Foundry video talking about the delay, and one of the guys in the video that during the delay, they should just drop the current gen version of Halo Infinite so they can focus all their time on the next gen version and PC version to make the game the best that it can be. I get that they can scale different versions differently so it can run on the less powerful system, this being the Xbox One, but aren’t they still going to have to be limited on what they can do since they have to make sure it can run on the less powerful system? There’s really no telling when in 2021 Halo Infinite’s new release date will be, it might be early 2021, it might be late 2021, heck, it could be around this time next year. If they continue with the Xbox One version, they’re probably going to end up dropping it down the line in the games life cycle, so if they’re going to do that, then why not just skip it altogether an focus more on the more powerful versions?

I get that not everyone will be able to afford the new console right away, maybe that can change given that they might have at least 1 more year given the delay. I also get that they want the games to be available to everyone in the Xbox ecosystem. I just want the game to be the best that it can be like the Halo franchise and community deserves.

They have likely already made numerous concessions to be able to support the original Xbox One so it doesn’t really make sense to just drop its inclusion.

If you asked me at the start of development, I would agree that supporting the Xbox One isn’t worth it, especially when it is probably going to be unsupported sometime during these next ten years.

Simple answer. No.

From what I have read and heard the delay comes from a more technical standpoint of, the game just isn’t close to playable. The code is all wonky and the reason the demo looked like garbage in comparison to 360 titles is because with the systems they had in place it could barely render. Not at the fault of it trying to run on an Xbox One, but because the game itself can barely hold itself together.

It wouldn’t take much to allow for an Xbox One version of the game that renders at lower quality, PC games do it all the time.

If anything them taking more time should be even less of a reason to drop the current gen version.

“Should 343i drop the Xbox One version of Infinite?”: Yes. Anyone who even slightly understands the technology gulf between Xbox VCR and Series X saw this coming.

“Frankly, held back is a meme that gets created by people who are too caught up in device competition.” - Phil Spencer. The same guy who claims he’s not competing but also mandates his new box launch along side his not-competitor. That claim is aging poorly.

No chance this happens. It goes completely against some of Xbox’s biggest mission statements regarding backwards compatibility and not alienating players based on what version of Xbox they currently have in their home.

I think the bigger issue here is that some people seem to believe the One X/S was used as the foundation for developing Infinite vs. the Series X. No clue of how true or untrue this is. I also don’t know the first thing about actual video game development, so I apologize in advance if I am completely talking out of my rear end here. When I heard this though, I immediately thought the end-product is likely going to suffer for Series X users if they are building the game off of a less powerful foundation and just upscaling/juicing the performance for the more powerful console. This just seems totally backwards to me. Shouldn’t it be built using the more powerful console (the way it’s meant to be played) and make adjustments/concessions so it can work on older/less powerful versions? I don’t know how it’s done in the industry and what the challenge/implications are for each path. Common sense just tells the better game starts high and is downgraded as needed to accommodate vs. start low and polish it up for more powerful systems.

No because even mcc and halo 5 looked good on xbox one but to be honest halo was never graphic focused so I don’t expect it to be looking too good but it just needs to look better than infinite demo

Yes, but I’m on PC so I may be biased. Xbox One is a 7 year old console. Imagine trying to release Halo 3 on the OG Xbox as well as 360, but add a year or two. Halo 3 would have been a much worse product. That being said, I empathize with people who can’t afford to upgrade and were looking forward to Halo Infinite being released exclusively on Xbox One back in 2018. 2015 to 2021 is twice the gap in time between a mainline Halo as there ever has been.

> 2533274883561809;7:
> Yes, but I’m on PC so I may be biased. Xbox One is a 7 year old console. Imagine trying to release Halo 3 on the OG Xbox as well as 360, but add a year or two. Halo 3 would have been a much worse product. That being said, I empathize with people who can’t afford to upgrade and were looking forward to Halo Infinite being released exclusively on Xbox One back in 2018. 2015 to 2021 is twice the gap in time between a mainline Halo as there ever has been.

To be honest, they already have a possible solution for people who can’t upgrade hardware - stream it over xcloud.

The decision to make this game run on midrange pc hardware from 8 years ago was a colossal mistake by MS/343. This should be a series x exclusive with option to play via xcloud if you don’t have a pc or the series x.

If Halo Infinite has been held back graphically speaking because on the original Xbox One then yes without a doubt Microsoft should drop Halo Infinite from selling on that version of that console. If Halo Infinite is suppose to be a truly next generation experience on the Xbox series X then Microsoft should moving forwards and not backwards in the graphics department. The priority should be on the Xbox Series X and S consoles, and now their flagship brand Halo shows off their power.

I would say yes but it’s not going to overhaul the game by any means I don’t think. Early on in development would make more impact but I’m not sure how much impact that it’d make now.

But if it means we get an overall better game with possible (but not likely) changes, then I’m all for it.

> 2535473509360653;9:
> If Halo Infinite has been held back graphically speaking because on the original Xbox One then yes without a doubt Microsoft should drop Halo Infinite from selling on that version of that console. If Halo Infinite is suppose to be a truly next generation experience on the Xbox series X then Microsoft should moving forwards and not backwards in the graphics department. The priority should be on the Xbox Series X and S consoles, and now their flagship brand Halo shows off their power.

It’s being held back graphically. Frank O’Connor states it’s made to look good and play good on Xbox One, and the Xbox Series X is just a plus plus plus. Source: Halo Infinite's Xbox One Version Won't Be 'Second-Class' Says Halo Boss - IGN

I say drop the vanilla Xbox One support, have them build it around the Series X, PC, and Xbox One X infrastructures. Maybe the Xbox One S.

Curse you Microsoft and your ridiculous naming conventions.

Yes.

It’s a 10 year game that will be constantly updated with stories and other DLCs. Having the Xbox One is a huge f****** drag that will hinder it from reaching its full potential in the long run. It should also be the game, when released, that will get people to buy an XSX. And in order to do that, it needs to take full advantage of the new hardware.

No. I won’t buy the game if they do that. I have no desire to buy a whole new console just for one game for like 2 years until any other decent ones come out, forget that. I have an original One and a One S. To me, games already look hyper realistic on these platforms as it is and halo was never about graphics it was about expansive size, content, and gameplay. That’s what I care about. If graphics never got better than they are at this very moment you wouldn’t hear me complaining. Frankly I think using incredible graphics to excuse absolute dog -Yoink- gameplay is becoming a huge problem.

Absolutely; the Xbox One’s hardware is mid-range by 2013 standards, and it will be seven or eight years old by the time Infinite comes out. If Halo Infinite is going to a 10 year experience then they are probably going to drop support for the Xbox One version anyway at some point, so there is no point holding the game back.

> 2592250499807011;8:
> > 2533274883561809;7:
> > Yes, but I’m on PC so I may be biased. Xbox One is a 7 year old console. Imagine trying to release Halo 3 on the OG Xbox as well as 360, but add a year or two. Halo 3 would have been a much worse product. That being said, I empathize with people who can’t afford to upgrade and were looking forward to Halo Infinite being released exclusively on Xbox One back in 2018. 2015 to 2021 is twice the gap in time between a mainline Halo as there ever has been.
>
> To be honest, they already have a possible solution for people who can’t upgrade hardware - stream it over xcloud.
>
> The decision to make this game run on midrange pc hardware from 8 years ago was a colossal mistake by MS/343. This should be a series x exclusive with option to play via xcloud if you don’t have a pc or the series x.

This is a fantastic idea. It gives players who can’t afford a the new console the option to enjoy the game without holding it back for the Series X or PC.

Active topic here https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/29568daf8cd14083bd1b70a810bf3581/topics/halo-infinite-should-be-a-next-gen-exclusive/30841157-4860-46fc-b91c-28437c10a842/posts