Should 343 have made the game smaller?

Obviously alot of people are not happy with the graphics of the game but given the scale and 4k/60fps it would not be possible to also have the same visual fidelity as a smaller linear game.

I have seen somewhere that just the area in the demo could be almost as big as the entire map of Skyrim and that was just one area.

Do you think 343 did the right thing to make the game absolutely massive or do you think you would have been happier with a smaller game with better graphics?

Personally i don’t think the graphics are that bad given the scale of the game and they have nailed the look of the Elites & Grunts they just need to put some wigs on the Brutes and fix the lighting.

The thing is… We don’t even know how big the open world is. From the map it looked like parts of the open world are broken up into sections. So this open world is not a ‘true’ open world in essence.

You are right but what I am saying is if just one area is as big as Skyrim that would mean it would be one of the biggest game worlds attempted so far and if that is the case I don’t understand why 343 don’t just mention that might temper some of the graphics complaints

> 2533274809138792;3:
> You are right but what I am saying is if just one area is as big as Skyrim that would mean it would be one of the biggest game worlds attempted so far and if that is the case I don’t understand why 343 don’t just mention that might temper some of the graphics complaints

I honestly doubt that. If anything I don’t think the “open world” will be that big. And upon release there will likely be missing features and a lack of content.

If the explorable area were in fact that massive then 343 industries would be bragging about it.

> 2533274925473364;4:
> > 2533274809138792;3:
> > You are right but what I am saying is if just one area is as big as Skyrim that would mean it would be one of the biggest game worlds attempted so far and if that is the case I don’t understand why 343 don’t just mention that might temper some of the graphics complaints
>
> I honestly doubt that. If anything I don’t think the “open world” will be that big. And upon release there will likely be missing features and a lack of content.
>
> If the explorable area were in fact that massive then 343 industries would be bragging about it.

Your probably right, Shame really unless they are planning to make it bigger over the next 10 years

> 2533274809138792;5:
> > 2533274925473364;4:
> > > 2533274809138792;3:
> > > You are right but what I am saying is if just one area is as big as Skyrim that would mean it would be one of the biggest game worlds attempted so far and if that is the case I don’t understand why 343 don’t just mention that might temper some of the graphics complaints
> >
> > I honestly doubt that. If anything I don’t think the “open world” will be that big. And upon release there will likely be missing features and a lack of content.
> >
> > If the explorable area were in fact that massive then 343 industries would be bragging about it.
>
> Your probably right, Shame really unless they are planning to make it bigger over the next 10 years

That 10 year marketing spin is overused now. The developers who use that term usually fail spectacularly.

Regarding your first paragraph, OP:

What’s the point in having 4k resolution when your base image quality is so poor? Let me put it another way, God of War looks better in 1440p than Halo Infinite does in 4k, because its image quality is far superior.

This game should have been next gen only, 60fps, open world, ramp up the image quality as best you can and deliver a minimum 1080p resolution, or a dynamic resolution solution like Halo 5 used, varying between 1080p and 4k.

Because the game engine has to scale all the way down to Xbox One, they can’t build in next gen features, like next gen lighting techniques, into the actual engine itself. Instead we’re getting a Ray tracing patch that is basically an on/off switch for the Series X version.

> 2533274796617122;7:
> Regarding your first paragraph, OP:
>
> What’s the point in having 4k resolution when your base image quality is so poor? Let me put it another way, God of War looks better in 1440p than Halo Infinite does in 4k, because its image quality is far superior.
>
> This game should have been next gen only, 60fps, open world, ramp up the image quality as best you can and deliver a minimum 1080p resolution, or a dynamic resolution solution like Halo 5 used, varying between 1080p and 4k.
>
> Because the game engine has to scale all the way down to Xbox One, they can’t build in next gen features, like next gen lighting techniques, into the actual engine itself. Instead we’re getting a Ray tracing patch that is basically an on/off switch for the Series X version.

PC platform will get ray tracing two. Along with DLSS 2.0 for NVidia graphics card users potentially.

If Infinite has been made by a hyper passionate team then Id rather they had pushed more into the direction of ambition than simply what can be achieved in a easier way. There’s always the worry that you give yourself just too much to achieve but the pay off is better if you do achieve that. I’d very much hope that base machines are restricted to 30 frame to allow for this vision to begin with of course. 343 knows they absolutely need to get the game right this time and the tightening of this focus will probably surprise a lot of folk who are right now expecting something dire from the team. The only way to change that opinion is for 343 to knock this out the park but with everything considered, I’m pretty sure they know this. Despite some negative details worth mentioning in demo, the combat had a weight and flow to I’ve not seen in most of the Halo games so I’m hopeful at this stage

I think any criticism is good for the 343 especially coming from Halo 5 and the excellent but certainly flawed Halo4. I’m sure they listen intently but at some point you have to take charge knowing your own direction and what it is you need to do to get there. Providing they are 100% committed to bringing the absolute best this time and on the strength they -Yoinked!- up previously, that enough should be the driving force I think that we’ll get an altogether different beast this time

It’s all for nothing of course if they force an always online authentication to play campaign because at that point I simply wouldn’t bother. Hopefully not but who knows

We shall see

I don’t know, should they have made the animals cookable as well to replace the health pack system?

I just don’t quite get griping about things that we know nothing about. I agree that the graphical presentation was subpar and should have been significantly better for a Showcase, but considering we really know nothing about the scale and scope, or how truly open world it is, there’s not a ton of sense in judging.