Shields not charging while sprinting - why its bad

Sprinting is now about half and half with me in Halo. It’s been in the series long enough that it is likely here to stay. What hasn’t been here though is shields not charging while you are sprinting. I haven’t liked this feature since day 1 for a lot of reasons, but it hit me while playing FFA, that it actually slows down the pace of the game.

In prior Halos (Reach and 4) your shields were not effected by the fact that you were sprinting. The only real group of complainers I’ve seen complain about it, are the ones that were on the forums defending this new change. But, its actually a bad thing. Players can still run away from you when you shoot them just as easy as they have ever been able to since sprint is endless. At least in Reach, it had a charge so they weren’t going to far.

The problem is, not being to move fast and charge your shields at the same time promotes camping. I’ve never played a FFA in Halo that has had as much camping as I’ve seen in 5 so far. In fact, most of every game mode revolves a lot around camping, why some may ask? We are punished with delayed shield charge for staying mobile. You are an easy target if you aren’t sprinting given the range and power of the Magnum which everyone has, so unless you are crouching in a corner, or walking slowly in the open, then your shields aren’t coming back. People now sit in corners and just wait for the shields, then rinse and repeat.

There are very little brawls between multiple players because you aren’t rewarded if you make big risk because even if you pull off a triple, someone is going to one shot you because you had to wait for your shields to recharge while you walk at tortoise speed. Simply put, its a bad mechanic that rewards players for sitting in corners. Are shields don’t even recharge after being out of combat for ten minutes while sprinting! Our shields recharge in campaign while we sprint? Why not multiplayer to like its been for the last two games.

It may promote camping but the campee than will not have the upper hand against a fully shielded enemy who is chasing them. I dont really know what the problem is, being aware of were people hide allows for an easy kill in a chase, he may turn a corner and camp but only a fool would not check that corner and get the kill. Ive had no problems with campers and like I said, get easy kills on those that run and hide.

It’s better than the alternative of having everybody zipping around the map non-stop.

Don’t start running till your shields are recharging. That’s how to play. If your shields are not recharging, you are trying to escape too soon.

Thruster is there to help get to cover to maybe recharge shields, not Sprint.

It’s also very silly to try to run to escape. The speed difference between running and sprinting is very small. Sprinting is there to “charge” Shoulder Charge and Slide, as well as make a few jumps just a bit more accessible, not run around the map faster or escape a fight.

So you’d rather have people sprinting away from gunfights and recharging their shields, slowing down the pace anyway? Sprint is bad for Halo no matter which way you look at it, but I’d rather have Halo 5’s balance mechanic for it than any other. If anything they should add Reach’s timer and Halo 4’s slowed-down-when-shot mechanics on top of it. It needs to be as discouraging as possible to use it to run from fights. We have thrusters to juke and dash around corners and cover. Use that to make plays instead of just running away.

I would be upset if they took sprinting away but I did prefer the pace of the older Halo games. In my eyes this is a genius solution and so is the smaller gap between sprint and walk speeds! Anything to make sprinting more obsolete is a winner in my opinion!

> 2533274802103078;6:
> I would be upset if they took sprinting away but I did prefer the pace of the older Halo games. In my eyes this is a genius solution and so is the smaller gap between sprint and walk speeds! Anything to make sprinting more obsolete is a winner in my opinion!

Out of. Curiosity, if you prefer the pace of the older Halos and you like to see sprinting become obsolete, then why would you be upset to see them take it away? I don’t intend to come across as argumentative here, I just haven’t come across anyone yet with your unusual viewpoint.

The shields not charging if you are sprinting away is one of my favorite additions/changes to Halo.

> 2533274802103078;6:
> I would be upset if they took sprinting away but I did prefer the pace of the older Halo games. In my eyes this is a genius solution and so is the smaller gap between sprint and walk speeds! Anything to make sprinting more obsolete is a winner in my opinion!

You just contradicted yourself so hard man.

<mark>Do not flame/attack others.</mark>

The feature is put into the game so pansies who suck at the game don’t get shot twice, sprint halfway around the map to recharge their shields, come back, get shot twice, sprint halfway around the map, etc. etc. The only people who have an issue with this feature are players who can’t out-gun their opponents and need to sprint away.

Lame argument. Sprinting is perfect.

/thread

> 2533274795602094;10:
> The feature is put into the game so pansies who suck at the game don’t get shot twice, sprint halfway around the map to recharge their shields, come back, get shot twice, sprint halfway around the map, etc. etc. The only people who have an issue with this feature are players who can’t out-gun their opponents and need to sprint away.

Pretty much this. This behavior is very annoying, it used to be a crutch for the lesser skilled players and I’m glad its gone.