Shield Break Sound Effect

There should be no sound effect for shield break. This should be a visual indicator. If this is an accessibility feature, it should be turned off by default and available to people who need it in the settings, as with all accessibility features. There should be a sound effect for damaging shields that is distance-dependent, as with Halo 3, and a sound effect for when your own shields are damaged. The lack of this sound effect at close enough range IS the auditory indicator for a shield break, and when combined with the visual indicator, that would be more apparent had it not been for outlines, this is enough information to let you know when an enemy’s shields have broken

> 2533274817438690;1:
> There should be no sound effect for shield break. This should be a visual indicator. If this is an accessibility feature, it should be turned off by default and available to people who need it in the settings, as with all accessibility features. There should be a sound effect for damaging shields that is distance-dependent, as with Halo 3, and a sound effect for when your own shields are damaged. The lack of this sound effect at close enough range IS the auditory indicator for a shield break, and when combined with the visual indicator, that would be more apparent had it not been for outlines, this is enough information to let you know when an enemy’s shields have broken

So are you saying that with outlines we should have audio as it’s not as easy to see a shield break? Or have the audio removed from a shield break completely? Honestly I think the way it is currently is fine. This seems like a very nit-picky topic to bring up as I can’t see this feature being intrusive in the game at all.

> 2535445608274502;2:
> > 2533274817438690;1:
> > There should be no sound effect for shield break. This should be a visual indicator. If this is an accessibility feature, it should be turned off by default and available to people who need it in the settings, as with all accessibility features. There should be a sound effect for damaging shields that is distance-dependent, as with Halo 3, and a sound effect for when your own shields are damaged. The lack of this sound effect at close enough range IS the auditory indicator for a shield break, and when combined with the visual indicator, that would be more apparent had it not been for outlines, this is enough information to let you know when an enemy’s shields have broken
>
> So are you saying that with outlines we should have audio as it’s not as easy to see a shield break? Or have the audio removed from a shield break completely? Honestly I think the way it is currently is fine. This seems like a very nit-picky topic to bring up as I can’t see this feature being intrusive in the game at all.

No because the fix for this is to have the shield color and outline color separately changeable. Currently, it’s setup to where they are the same color, and that caused it to be harder to see the shield break in this build. I think with that, the sound effect can be removed entirely. And I don’t agree that it is nit-picky, the shield break sound effect is annoying and audio has a huge impact on the enjoyment of a game. It reminds me of Halo 5’s sound design. I think Halo 3’s shield sound system was superior and provided better indicators while being less intrusive

> 2533274817438690;3:
> > 2535445608274502;2:
> > > 2533274817438690;1:
> > > There should be no sound effect for shield break. This should be a visual indicator. If this is an accessibility feature, it should be turned off by default and available to people who need it in the settings, as with all accessibility features. There should be a sound effect for damaging shields that is distance-dependent, as with Halo 3, and a sound effect for when your own shields are damaged. The lack of this sound effect at close enough range IS the auditory indicator for a shield break, and when combined with the visual indicator, that would be more apparent had it not been for outlines, this is enough information to let you know when an enemy’s shields have broken
> >
> > So are you saying that with outlines we should have audio as it’s not as easy to see a shield break? Or have the audio removed from a shield break completely? Honestly I think the way it is currently is fine. This seems like a very nit-picky topic to bring up as I can’t see this feature being intrusive in the game at all.
>
> No because the fix for this is to have the shield color and outline color separately changeable. Currently, it’s setup to where they are the same color, and that caused it to be harder to see the shield break in this build. I think with that, the sound effect can be removed entirely. And I don’t agree that it is nit-picky, the shield break sound effect is annoying and audio has a huge impact on the enjoyment of a game. It reminds me of Halo 5’s sound design. I think Halo 3’s shield sound system was superior and provided better indicators while being less intrusive

Must be a personal preference thing as it never bothered me back in H3 and it never bothered me in H5. It won’t bother me in Infinite either.

> 2535445608274502;4:
> > 2533274817438690;3:
> > > 2535445608274502;2:
> > > > 2533274817438690;1:
> > > > There should be no sound effect for shield break. This should be a visual indicator. If this is an accessibility feature, it should be turned off by default and available to people who need it in the settings, as with all accessibility features. There should be a sound effect for damaging shields that is distance-dependent, as with Halo 3, and a sound effect for when your own shields are damaged. The lack of this sound effect at close enough range IS the auditory indicator for a shield break, and when combined with the visual indicator, that would be more apparent had it not been for outlines, this is enough information to let you know when an enemy’s shields have broken
> > >
> > > So are you saying that with outlines we should have audio as it’s not as easy to see a shield break? Or have the audio removed from a shield break completely? Honestly I think the way it is currently is fine. This seems like a very nit-picky topic to bring up as I can’t see this feature being intrusive in the game at all.
> >
> > No because the fix for this is to have the shield color and outline color separately changeable. Currently, it’s setup to where they are the same color, and that caused it to be harder to see the shield break in this build. I think with that, the sound effect can be removed entirely. And I don’t agree that it is nit-picky, the shield break sound effect is annoying and audio has a huge impact on the enjoyment of a game. It reminds me of Halo 5’s sound design. I think Halo 3’s shield sound system was superior and provided better indicators while being less intrusive
>
> Must be a personal preference thing as it never bothered me back in H3 and it never bothered me in H5. It won’t bother me in Infinite either.

That’s ok, I’m just saying because Halo 5’s sound design was notoriously intrusive, and they took the feedback from the community and decided to change that. I’m just pointing out one area they could apply that. I’m sure it annoys other people, but somebody has to go and say something for anything to change. Overall, I think the sound design is fantastic, and I think it shows how they listened to the community after Halo 5

Yeah I actually like shield break sounds and I haven’t seen anything but a preferential argument against them. My sounds complain was that the needler didn’t sound like a needler. Wasn’t glassy enough.

> 2535469609708123;6:
> Yeah I actually like shield break sounds and I haven’t seen anything but a preferential argument against them. My sounds complain was that the needler didn’t sound like a needler. Wasn’t glassy enough.

Well it matters what people prefer, because it could help the game overall. That’s all I want to do is help improve the game. I agree, I miss the glassy sounds of the needler

> 2533274817438690;7:
> > 2535469609708123;6:
> > Yeah I actually like shield break sounds and I haven’t seen anything but a preferential argument against them. My sounds complain was that the needler didn’t sound like a needler. Wasn’t glassy enough.
>
> Well it matters what people prefer, because it could help the game overall. That’s all I want to do is help improve the game. I agree, I miss the glassy sounds of the needler

Apologies, what I mean is that the arguments against the shield sounds I see basically just say “I don’t like it” bit offer no explanation as to why. No one I’ve seen has said "it causes X issue and as such should not be in here. If it’s not your cup of tea, that’s totally fine, but I am looking for a reason why it should be removed when I like it and the best I’ve heard is that others don’t think it needs to be in here.

> 2535469609708123;8:
> > 2533274817438690;7:
> > > 2535469609708123;6:
> > > Yeah I actually like shield break sounds and I haven’t seen anything but a preferential argument against them. My sounds complain was that the needler didn’t sound like a needler. Wasn’t glassy enough.
> >
> > Well it matters what people prefer, because it could help the game overall. That’s all I want to do is help improve the game. I agree, I miss the glassy sounds of the needler
>
> Apologies, what I mean is that the arguments against the shield sounds I see basically just say “I don’t like it” bit offer no explanation as to why. No one I’ve seen has said "it causes X issue and as such should not be in here. If it’s not your cup of tea, that’s totally fine, but I am looking for a reason why it should be removed when I like it and the best I’ve heard is that others don’t think it needs to be in here.

Ok, I see. Well, it is an abrupt sound effect that complicates the “soundscape”, if you will. Before, there was an ambient “hiss” that meant you were taking down someone’s shields. There is no effect at all that I hear for shield flare, as of yet. Now, there is an abrupt “ping” sound that draws attention from the player. We’re hardwired to respond to abrupt sounds, and abusing this instinct really grates on your nerves after a while. An ambient sound, however, blends into the soundscape while still giving you an indicator of something. I think an ambient sound, like the shield flare hiss, is better for not drawing too much attention than the shield break ping sound, while still giving you just as much information about an opponent’s shields, it’s just that the absence of one over the presence of the other gives you that information. I could liken it to a synth player playing an ambient pad vs a synth playing staccato notes. I would prefer to listen to the pad over the staccato notes over longer periods of time, and with all the abrupt sound cues that are going on, we really need to thin the herd imo

> 2535469609708123;8:
> > 2533274817438690;7:
> > > 2535469609708123;6:
> > > Yeah I actually like shield break sounds and I haven’t seen anything but a preferential argument against them. My sounds complain was that the needler didn’t sound like a needler. Wasn’t glassy enough.
> >
> > Well it matters what people prefer, because it could help the game overall. That’s all I want to do is help improve the game. I agree, I miss the glassy sounds of the needler
>
> Apologies, what I mean is that the arguments against the shield sounds I see basically just say “I don’t like it” bit offer no explanation as to why. No one I’ve seen has said "it causes X issue and as such should not be in here. If it’s not your cup of tea, that’s totally fine, but I am looking for a reason why it should be removed when I like it and the best I’ve heard is that others don’t think it needs to be in here.

Maybe there could be an option for that sound cue, since you like it. There are options for hit markers and kill notification sound effects already, so I think they should provide an option for that. But if they add the shield flare sound effect, this makes the shield break sound effect redundant, and there don’t need to be any redundant sound effects going on