Sheild Tec

Why havent UNSC battle ships been out fitted with any sort of sheild tec? They have the tec why not use it?

They have personal shielding which they learned from older model Jackal Shields. I’m sure they’re planning on someday building larger shield generators but that doesn’t mean they had the resources to do so as they were getting their butts handed to them by the Covenant. I wouldn’t be surprised if a ship like the Infinity had some kind of shield generator though, since she incorporates Forerunner technology.

I don’t know if you count it but those ridiculous UNSC booster frames had energy shields in The Package. I just watched it again, its even more terrible than I rememebered. What awful rubbish.

> Why havent UNSC battle ships been out fitted with any sort of sheild tec? They have the tec why not use it?

I imagine it comes down to the amount of resources to create a shield that big. If a Mjolnir shielded suit costs the same amount as an entire UNSC destroyer then I wouldn’t dare think how much it would cost to create shields for something the size of a UNSC Frigate let alone something bigger like a Marathon cruiser.

> They have personal shielding which they learned from older model Jackal Shields. I’m sure they’re planning on someday building larger shield generators but that doesn’t mean they had the resources to do so as they were getting their butts handed to them by the Covenant. <mark>I wouldn’t be surprised if a ship like the Infinity had some kind of shield generator though, since she incorporates Forerunner technology.</mark>

Apparently the Infinity does have shields; in one preview of Spartan Ops, the mentioned the Infinity dropping out of Slipspace and unleashing hell on the Covenant ships on Requiem. From the way the preview worded it, it seems the ship was taking and shrugging off hits. So it does look like UNSC ships now have shield technology incorporated.

Edit: Source

> > They have personal shielding which they learned from older model Jackal Shields. I’m sure they’re planning on someday building larger shield generators but that doesn’t mean they had the resources to do so as they were getting their butts handed to them by the Covenant. <mark>I wouldn’t be surprised if a ship like the Infinity had some kind of shield generator though, since she incorporates Forerunner technology.</mark>
>
> Apparently the Infinity does have shields; in one preview of Spartan Ops, the mentioned the Infinity dropping out of Slipspace and unleashing hell on the Covenant ships on Requiem. From the way the preview worded it, it seems the ship was taking and shrugging off hits. So it does look like UNSC ships now have shield technology incorporated.
>
> Edit: Source

Could be. Check out this video here. It’s an interview with Kiki Wolfkill but at about 1:20 they show people watching the Spartan Ops cut scene which shows the Infinity fighting with Covenant Ships and even firing off her MAC.

I find it unlikely that the Infinity could fight one-on-one with Covie capital ships… or at least I find it unrealistic and too convenient. To me it just smells like bad storytelling like Stargate SG1 where enemies keep getting “biggerer and betterer”.

> I find it unlikely that the Infinity could fight one-on-one with Covie capital ships… or at least I find it unrealistic and too convenient. To me it just smells like bad storytelling like Stargate SG1 where enemies keep getting “biggerer and betterer”.

“A dozen Covenant superior battleships against a single Halcyon-class Cruiser. With those odds, I’m content with three - make that four kills.” - Cortana (Halo Combat Evolved)

Don’t tell me a single Halcyon Class ship can take on a dozen Covenant battleships but the Infinity which is 3 miles long and upgraded with Forerunner technology can’t. Technically the Autumn was defeated but she had four confirmed kills and disabled several others before making an emergency landing.

I’m pretty sure the Infinity can top that.

The YSS-1000 Sabre from Halo: Reach had active shielding. I’m pretty sure they’ve found a way to implement it into larger ships.

> > I find it unlikely that the Infinity could fight one-on-one with Covie capital ships… or at least I find it unrealistic and too convenient. To me it just smells like bad storytelling like Stargate SG1 where enemies keep getting “biggerer and betterer”.
>
> “A dozen Covenant superior battleships against a single Halcyon-class Cruiser. With those odds, I’m content with three - make that four kills.” - Cortana (Halo Combat Evolved)
>
> Don’t tell me a single Halcyon Class ship can take on a dozen Covenant battleships but the Infinity which is 3 miles long and upgraded with Forerunner technology can’t. Technically the Autumn was defeated but she had four confirmed kills and disabled several others before making an emergency landing.
>
> I’m pretty sure the Infinity can top that.

Typically 3 UNSC warships are required to take down a single Covenant ship of the same size. The reason why the PoA took down so many Covie ships was because of Halo, the Covenant did not want to risk damaging the Forerunner installation. If the Halo wasnt there the PoA would have been boiled from existence.

We’ve all seen this. Almost every Halo novel mentions how a UNSC fleet can’t fight the Covenant fleets in a one-on-one setting.

I just think the Infinity is a bit of a Mary Sue.

> > > I find it unlikely that the Infinity could fight one-on-one with Covie capital ships… or at least I find it unrealistic and too convenient. To me it just smells like bad storytelling like Stargate SG1 where enemies keep getting “biggerer and betterer”.
> >
> > “A dozen Covenant superior battleships against a single Halcyon-class Cruiser. With those odds, I’m content with three - make that four kills.” - Cortana (Halo Combat Evolved)
> >
> > Don’t tell me a single Halcyon Class ship can take on a dozen Covenant battleships but the Infinity which is 3 miles long and upgraded with Forerunner technology can’t. Technically the Autumn was defeated but she had four confirmed kills and disabled several others before making an emergency landing.
> >
> > I’m pretty sure the Infinity can top that.
>
> Typically 3 UNSC warships are required to take down a single Covenant ship of the same size. <mark>The reason why the PoA took down so many Covie ships was because of Halo</mark>, the Covenant did not want to risk damaging the Forerunner installation. If the Halo wasnt there the PoA would have been boiled from existence.
>
> We’ve all seen this. Almost every Halo novel mentions how a UNSC fleet can’t fight the Covenant fleets in a one-on-one setting.
>
> I just think the Infinity is a bit of a Mary Sue.

That’s not true. The Covenant opened fire and bombarded the heck out of her with Plasma the closer she got to Halo. If they were truly concerned about hurting it they wouldn’t have risked firing on them the closer they got.

Actually it is true, its in The Flood. The Prophet of Stewardship forbade the Ship Master from using his most destructive weapons against the PoA for fear of damaging the Halo installation.

> Actually it is true, its in The Flood. The Prophet of Stewardship forbade the Ship Master from using his most destructive weapons against the PoA for fear of damaging the Halo installation.

But they could still attack. If Human ships are supposed to be so inferior then any plasma would do damage, especially when the Covenant still had superior numbers. If they were using “weaker” plasma shots or whatever, they were still an entire fleet against one ship. The Autumn held her own because Cortana and Keyes are good at what they do.

I think the biggest issue with this argument is that it’s cherries to watermelons.

The PoA was made long before the war was going on, and refitted to be a war ship.

The Infinity was under construction during the war. Anything the UNSC found in regards to fighting the covenant went into this ship. Any tech they could find and use they incorporated. The Infinity was being built for the specific purpose of fighting the covenant. Obviously it should eat through a fleet of covenant ships (that are all the same tired worn out ships from the war). They also have all kinds of Forerunner tech on that ship…

Basically it is a ship made to kill covenant. However I don’t think the Infinity would fair so well against the Forerunners, or even some other ancient force.

I would imagine the ship-shield tech improved near the end or a few years after the war. It’s one thing to give Spartans and Sabres shields, but a whole ship? That requires tons of power.

And the Infinity uses MAC rounds? Aw, I heard a rumor that it fired a large Spartan Laser like weapon.

> > > They have personal shielding which they learned from older model Jackal Shields. I’m sure they’re planning on someday building larger shield generators but that doesn’t mean they had the resources to do so as they were getting their butts handed to them by the Covenant. <mark>I wouldn’t be surprised if a ship like the Infinity had some kind of shield generator though, since she incorporates Forerunner technology.</mark>
> >
> > Apparently the Infinity does have shields; in one preview of Spartan Ops, the mentioned the Infinity dropping out of Slipspace and unleashing hell on the Covenant ships on Requiem. From the way the preview worded it, it seems the ship was taking and shrugging off hits. So it does look like UNSC ships now have shield technology incorporated.
> >
> > Edit: Source
>
> Could be. Check out this video here. It’s an interview with Kiki Wolfkill but at about 1:20 they show people watching the Spartan Ops cut scene which shows the Infinity fighting with Covenant Ships and even firing off her MAC.

The computerandvideogames article is really bad.
I thought it was IGN for a bit.

Why would humanity’s most advanced starship not be able to oliberate covenant ships?
Forerunner tech, covenant tech…

> > Actually it is true, its in The Flood. The Prophet of Stewardship forbade the Ship Master from using his most destructive weapons against the PoA for fear of damaging the Halo installation.
>
> But they could still attack. If Human ships are supposed to be so inferior then any plasma would do damage, especially when the Covenant still had superior numbers. If they were using “weaker” plasma shots or whatever, they were still an entire fleet against one ship. The Autumn held her own because Cortana and Keyes are good at what they do.

The Autumn held her own because Cortana and Keyes are good at what they do, the Halcyon cruiser is about as tough as UNSC ships come AND because the Covenant were forbidden to use their most powerful weapons against the PoA.

It’s a combination of these things but if the Halo wasn’t there or the Prophet didn’t forbid them from using their energy projectors then the PoA would not have stood a chance.

All this information is right in front of you. We all know that UNSC ships fare badly against the Covenant equivalents, we all know that the UNSC generally only holds its own in ground operations and we know that in The Flood the Ship Master was told to not use his most destructive weapons. I don’t really understand how this can equate to the Pillar of Autumn “taking on the Covenant fleet”, they just got incredibly lucky.

> > > Actually it is true, its in The Flood. The Prophet of Stewardship forbade the Ship Master from using his most destructive weapons against the PoA for fear of damaging the Halo installation.
> >
> > But they could still attack. If Human ships are supposed to be so inferior then any plasma would do damage, especially when the Covenant still had superior numbers. If they were using “weaker” plasma shots or whatever, they were still an entire fleet against one ship. The Autumn held her own because Cortana and Keyes are good at what they do.
>
> The Autumn held her own because Cortana and Keyes are good at what they do, the Halcyon cruiser is about as tough as UNSC ships come AND because the Covenant were forbidden to use their most powerful weapons against the PoA.
>
> It’s a combination of these things but if the Halo wasn’t there or the Prophet didn’t forbid them from using their energy projectors then the PoA would not have stood a chance.
>
> All this information is right in front of you. We all know that UNSC ships fare badly against the Covenant equivalents, we all know that the UNSC generally only holds its own in ground operations and we know that in The Flood the Ship Master was told to not use his most destructive weapons. I don’t really understand how this can equate to the Pillar of Autumn “taking on the Covenant fleet”, they just got incredibly lucky.

Your example is irrelevant, the UNSC Infinity is no ordinary UNSC ship, don’t you understand that? Humanity is not the push overs they were when the Covenant first found them, we’ve learned and advanced, the fact that the UNSC Infinity is so powerfull and filled with “Forerunner technology”, do you know how significant that is? We are humans, we can basically use Forerunner tech as we find it, the covenant have to down grade it for their use, giving then a big disadvantage and us a huge one. UNSC Infinity is not some second rate ship, it might as well be almost equal to Forerunner tech, Covie ships would not take down the UNSC Infinity with any remote ease. And if you see the cover of the Book “The Thursday War” and the UNSC Infinity concept art, it is clear to see that the Infinity is “not” the only one of her kind.

It is clear that at the end of the Human-Covenant a new era of technology has come for Humanity. You should not compare human ships at the start of the war to the ships at the end of the war. The 3 to 1 ratio was used relatively early in the war during the Start of Admiral Cole’s counterattack. Humanity was surprised and not equipped to deal with the covenant at that time. However, humans INCORPORATED superior features into our own technology, it’s what we do. Humans are innovative, Covenant are incapable of advancing their technology without Forerunner tech and Huragok spoonfeeding them along the way. It is presumptious to assume that the best that humanity has to offer at the END OF THE WAR will not fare well against Covenant ships. A generation of fighting with them has given humanity techniques and technology that has greatly increased their rank on the forerunner technology tier, while the Covie ships have remained relatively untouched.

In fact, people should assume the opposite. Whatever forerunner technology humanity has discovered will be understood and will have no need of being reversed engineered.They made better personal shields then the Sangheili FROM A WRIST BAND. Which was a copy of a copy of downgraded forerunner technology.

I believe that Infinity is one of the first of many ships that will incorporate Advanced techology that will not only be on par with the covenants, but exceed it. After the war Humanity is the dominant superpower left in that part of the galaxy. All other species are unable to catch up. Basically Humanity is passing the Covenant on the elevator, except this time it’s Humans that are going up and the covenant down.

the big thing to remember about it: Humanity can understand and improve the tech, whereas Covenant can only imilate and copy it. They dont understand what exactly makes it tick. though i think that is more because of thier bleives.