Share your stories of lopsided matches

I don’t play Halo nearly as regularly as I used to, but I never remember so many lopsided skill matchups in succession. Yesterday, I got playing with a friend of mine (guest online) who has little to no skill in Halo but wants to learn how to play more.

I was thoroughly appalled at the types of games we got matched into. We were absolutely crushed every single match. We quit games regularly because they just were not fun for us - repeatedly. The enemy team had signs they were parties of 4 regularly (I felt like that because of their teammwork and flanking), but that may not have been the case and may just have been my thinking.

These are the scores of the games I quit (my guest/friend and I were on the losing side):

510 - 270
310 - 90
600 - 280
600 - 220
350 - 40
600 - 330 (didn’t quit this one as didn’t want to get too harsh/permanent quit ban)

Needless to say, my friend did not have a great experience at all and isn’t going to buy his own Halo now. I was actually the most turned off from the game that I’ve been in a while - this level of pwnage was just ridiculous. I understand the occasional lopsided game here and there, but to get essentially 7 in a row in Team Slayer (took a break and played a game of Big Team which was fine) is absolutely ridiculous.

I got a 1 hour quit ban, which was all the same because we quit out of Halo anyways and played a different game that was more enjoyable for us. This experience was incredibly disappointing because, despite everything, Halo was my go-to multiplayer game. This is by far the worst matchmaking experience.

I want to point out these lopsided games and the lopsided skill matchups that everyone knows is occurring. They will definitely impact this community in my humble opinion. No matter how fun a game is, nobody will pay $60 and use up their valuable time to get steamrolled repeatedly in games that anyways took a long time to search into.

I do not care about my CSR or SR rank or whatever. I just care about the game and having fun. I understand there is a CSR reset coming soon? If this is the case, I gladly await it.

I get the feeling that there are several people who have been on both sides of the fence here with regards to these matches. I am not posting this in the CSR feedback thread as my post has nothing to do with the way CSR is calculated. If this is the case, please share your stories here. While I believe this is a bigger problem, it may just be my bad luck by Murphy’s Law.

Wow, that’s brutal. And a shame for newcomers to the Halo population. Here’s your problem; the CSR did get reset, which at first makes things pretty scrappy. Since everyone is back to zero, you’re even more likely to play against higher level opponents and teams grouped together.

I jumped into a game on Solace with a friend yesterday and after the first engagement, realized my opponents weren’t even close to a reasonable match-up. So i tried to make things interesting for myself and decided to only use the Sword. And i ended up getting 19 kills with it. That to me is pretty lopsided.

Give it a week or so, hopefully things will balance out to only an occasional bad match-up.

hm i didn’t notice any difference between team slayer ranking before and after reset

look, h4’s population is already low, and most of the guys who are playing h4 are already experienced with it, so u won’t get matched with as many newcomers as,for example, in h3, because they are simply not there.
if u wan’t to start play h4 now and get skilled, it definetely will get tougher.

I’ve had so many I could write a book about them.

…but I’m usually on the winning side of them :stuck_out_tongue:

I feel ya; just popped in halo 4 for the first time in a couple weeks, it wasn’t pretty. My first game I went 6-8 on longbow (I wasn’t expecting to do well being out of practice, so I thought nothing of it). The next match took place on meltdown, with me going 27-4. Go figure.

I have similar problems but instead of being paired with another team that is far more skilled, I’m usually paired with teammates who are awful. I tried playing 3 games this morning and they were all like this. For example, one of those games was on Pitfall. I love that map and was excited to find that the other team was pretty good and posed a serious challenge. But my team was awful. I had absolutely no support from them so we lost. Our K/Ds ended up being:

Me- +3
TM2- -16
TM3- -5
TM4- -18

It feels like 80 percent of my games are like that. If we win, it’s because I managed to be really on my game and come out with a really positive k/d that overcame my teammates’ awfulness. If we lose, it’s because I wasn’t on my game and all of my other teammates did even worse than I did. All I want is some decent teammates who are around my skill level.

I’ve been getting this since even before the Weapon Tuning update. It’s why I’ve given up on playing Halo 4 for competitiveness (win/loss) and now only play for personal gain (raising my K/D). Of course, I hate playing only for K/D, so I really just don’t play anymore.

This is definitely a frustrating aspect of matchmaking. Part of your problem was playing in Team Slayer; since they started ranking people and publishing ranks that playlist has gotten way more serious, and it is possible to find the kinds of players that you used to only find in Throwdown.

The other part of it is, as someone mentioned before, there aren’t many people left playing H4 that aren’t at least reasonably decent at it (although there is still a large skill gap between the top and average players IMO). I went back a while ago and watched some films from the first week or so of H4 and it is pretty dramatic to see the difference in player skill levels (even in mine thankfully!) between now and week 1. Everyone pretty much knows the maps and power weapons spawns, etc. Definitely would not like to be starting out now in H4 unless I had significant experience from a past Halo…

I’m sure your other two teammates appreciated you quitting all those games.

Last lopsided game I had was in Heavies just recently.

Not only were we behind by like 400 points the whole match, but I surprisingly was not only doing the best on my team (Always concerns me that happens) but had the most kills out of both sides!

We lost, but I had a mostly fun time. Which is rare, since generally when you’re losing by such a huge amount no one is having fun!

Ricochet Haven… I was with a team of randoms playing again what MUST have been a party. All they were interested in doing was stat-padding and they essentially sat on our spawn for the entire game. Between them they had all of our spawns covered. I was simply spawn killed for the entire game by several players BR’ing me, not to mention the fact that my teammates were awful. Funny thing is the game ended in a draw. Some people really ruin this game.

I have to back out of 95% of my pre-game lobbies because the other team wouldn’t stand a chance. It’s actually really bothersome.

Me and my teammates have won 600-0.

Nearly every-game I play is lopsided. I used to back out against kids that I know won’t have CSR to rank me up, but the backing out is to the point that I stay and play them just so I can actually play the game.

https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/Co2%20OUTBR3AK/wargames/match-cfe4389b5330f4dc

That’s just an example. I get matches like this pretty consistently.

Our team had 282 kills. 282.

They had 9. It’s dumb. We are mid 30’s and 40’s in a playlist, yet we’re always drawing in single-digit CSR kids with guests. It ruins the point of competition and I play them so much I feel I’m getting WORSE because when I finally DO play a decent team, I’m used to playing those kids that can’t even walk straight, so it takes a game or 2 of those to even get my groove back. By then, I’m back to playing brainless people again…

I won Oddball 300-0.

I have a bunch of long-term player friends (H-3 at least) that refuse to play Slayer now. If they play 4-player, they will go to SWAT or Snipes, rather that keep getting matched against vastly superior opponents.

If we DO go into Slayer, the Leader will hold off, and back out if the K/D’s are like 2.0.

> I won Oddball 300-0.
>
> I have a bunch of long-term player friends (H-3 at least) that refuse to play Slayer now. If they play 4-player, they will go to SWAT or Snipes, rather that keep getting matched against vastly superior opponents.
>
> If we DO go into Slayer, the Leader will hold off, and back out if the K/D’s are like 2.0.

My team actually backs out if any players on the other team have less than a 2 for their K/D ratio. Otherwise we would just stomp them.

We’ve ALL had more than our fair share of lopsided matches. I remember getting PWNED as soon as I spawn by people in scorpions, banshees, and warthogs. Also, the team distribution is unfair too- I had one game were I was on a full team and the other only had one member who was one of the worst players I’ve ever seen.

The system is just broken…great idea but just doesnt work. Last night my friends and I won 21 games of slayer in a row. We were winning games as bad as 600-0. At the end of the night only CSR-25 still playing horrible kids.

> I have similar problems but instead of being paired with another team that is far more skilled, I’m usually paired with teammates who are awful. I tried playing 3 games this morning and they were all like this. For example, one of those games was on Pitfall. I love that map and was excited to find that the other team was pretty good and posed a serious challenge. But my team was awful. I had absolutely no support from them so we lost. Our K/Ds ended up being:
>
> Me- +3
> TM2- -16
> TM3- -5
> TM4- -18
>
> It feels like 80 percent of my games are like that. If we win, it’s because I managed to be really on my game and come out with a really positive k/d that overcame my teammates’ awfulness. If we lose, it’s because I wasn’t on my game and all of my other teammates did even worse than I did. All I want is some decent teammates who are around my skill level.

Yes. I’m not the only one!!!

Yeah, I could be on either side, but it’s never a close game. Then I go back to halo 3 and get scores that are always fifty to forty-something and all 4 teammates get around the same # of kills

It’s not just the lopsided matches, but the skill gap between players and if the system happens to put higher CSR players on one team, your toast…lol.

It’s easy to see why so many people quit this game. The bottom line is that online multiplayer is not FAIR. That is what any gamer wants online or off. That the game play is fair.

The casual gamer does not mind loosing (at least I don’t) as it happens with most games. But when you are getting killed time after time, where is the fun??? I don’t care if I loose a match, but I do care if I’m dying 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, etc…

Instead of gamers trying to get better, they will just quit altogether as there are plenty of other games out there. And most gamers have limitations on how high their skill lever will ever be, most will never hit CSR 50 in any playlist.

I’m sure H5 will be amazing, but I think many will have H4 in the back of their minds and think twice about purchasing.

My Xbox live account expires this month, so I’ll be making a decision pretty soon. This is the only game I play on the 360. (I do have Reach, but only played few hours so far)