Settling the Controller vs KBM debate with data

Today we are going to break down some player data to end the debate and bickering about which input type has the advantage using player data. By using the top 20 Onyx players from each input type we see the peak potential for each type. If the inputs are returning equal results, we can say with data that any shortcomings you experience are not the result of the other input type having an advantage. If the results skew towards one input or the other, we can conclude the input with better results has an advantage when over the input with worse results.

Let’s see some data!

Headshot Accuracy

• Top 20 Controller players S/D Controller
    • High - 89.2%
    • Low - 61.4%
    • Avg - 71.5%
  • Top 20 Controller players Crossplay
    • High - 90.9%
    • Low - 62.6%
    • Avg - 72.3%
  • Top 20 KBM players S/D KBM
    • High - 75.6%
    • Low - 62.2%
    • Avg - 68.7%
  • Top 20 KBM players Crossplay
    • High - 74.0%
    • Low - 54.2%
    • Avg - 67.3%

This tells us:

• The highest controller player accuracy is 16.9% higher than the highest KBM player when playing in Crossplay
  • The average controller player accuracy is 5% higher than the highest KBM player when playing in Crossplay
  • Controller players’ high, low, and average headshot accuracy is higher when playing Crossplay compared to Controller only mode (high 1.7%, low 1.2%, avg 0.8%)
  • KBM players’ high, low, and average headshot accuracy is lower when playing Crossplay compared to KBM only mode (high -1.6%, low -8%, avg -1.4%)

Controller players are landing more headshots by each metric. When playing with only their input KBM players perform better and Controller players perform worse.

Conclusion: When mixed in Crossplay, the difficulty for KBM players increase while the difficulty for the Controller player decreases.

K/D Ratio

• High - 3.3
    • Low - 1.32
    • Avg - 1.66
    • High - 2.24
    • Low - 1.4
    • Avg - 1.63
    • High - 1.9
    • Low - 1.31
    • Avg - 1.6
    • High - 1.42
    • Low - 1.13
    • Avg - 1.3

This tells us:

• The highest controller player K/D is 0.82 (36.6%) higher than the highest KBM player when playing in Crossplay
  • The average controller player K/D is 50.33 (20.2%) higher than the highest KBM player when playing in Crossplay
  • Controller players’ high and average K/D is higher when playing Crossplay compared to Controller only mode while the low decreased (high 1.06, low -0.08, avg -0.03 (-1.8%))
  • KBM players’ high, low, and average K/D is lower when playing Crossplay compared to KBM only mode (high -0.48, low -0.18, avg -0.3 (-18.75%))

Controller players have a higher K/D by each metric. When playing with only their input KBM players perform better and Controller players low Controller vs Crossplay comparison. It is important to note that while Controller player low decreased when playing with KBM players, Controller low only decreased by 1.8% while KBM decrease was 18.75% in comparison.

Conclusion: When mixed in Crossplay, the difficulty for KBM players increase while the difficulty for the Controller player decreases.

Crossplay Rank Placement

• High - 1
    • Low - 20
    • High - 1
    • Low - D2
    • Avg - 1609
    • Top 100 - 10
    • Top 101-200 - 3
    • Top 201-1000 - 0
    • Top 1001-10000 - 4
    • Top 10001+ - 3
    • High - 1
    • Low - 20
    • High - 101
    • Low - D2
    • Avg - 9359
    • Top 100 - 0
    • Top 101-200 - 2
    • Top 201-1000 - 3
    • Top 1001-10000 - 8
    • Top 10001+ - 7

Note: Crossplay averages do not include 2 Controller players and 4 KBM players that had Diamond Ranks because Diamond ranks don’t make the top players list

This tells us:

• Controller players hold a much higher average rank than the KBM players
    *Controller players that hold rank 1-20 on the S/D Controller leaderboard maintain 5 ranks on the Crossplay top 20 and 10 in the top 100 while the top-ranked KBM player from the KBM top 20 ranks in at 101 on the Crossplay leaderboard.
  • It is also worth noting that when viewing the complete Crossplay leaderboard, the top 20 are exclusively Controller players.

Conclusion: Top 20 S/D Controller players control more high-ranking positions when compared to the top 20 S/D KBM players.

Overall conclusion:
By comparing the top 20 players in each input type we can eliminate variables related to skill differences. By eliminating performance variables we are left with only mechanical differences. Aim assist, bullet magnetism, rotation speed, strafe, etc.

In all metrics tested, Controller players have higher performance results than KBM players. Additionally, Controller player performance increased when playing with KBM players compared to when they only played with Controller players. While KBM players’ performance decreased when playing with Controller players compared to when they played only with KBM players.

This tells us that based on actual player data Controller players have a mechanical advantage allowing them higher performance, accuracy, K/D ratio, and rank placement when compared to their KBM counterparts.

32 Likes

TL;DR -

Crossplay bad, let us have the option to toggle it off.

30 Likes

Honestly who cares. I’m tired of seeing these post. This is probably the first and only FPS game where controller might (big might) have an advantage over MKB players. But even still the vast majority of players play this game on controller anyway so who cares what the data says.

23 Likes

I actually think you’re focus on the highest players does a poor job of executing your point. For two reasons, one Halo has been a primarily console franchise for over 20 years, so by focusing on the highest level players, naturally the controller players should have more experience playing Halo. Two, and this is really the bigger point, the high level players don’t reflect the majority of those that play the game. The average player is who the game should be based around. At least, in my opinion.

This said, I’m not against a buff to bullet magnetism on MnK. I’m not against adding strafing inertia. I’m not against giving PC red reticle back (taking it away hasn’t stopped hackers). I do want the game balance, I just don’t think focusing on the top end is the way to do it.

24 Likes

Good idea, poor execution.

2 Likes

Comparing the top players is a bad idea since most pros and Halo fans play on controller. You’d be better off taking the mid players and getting the average etc.
I do have to laugh though that the one time controller might be better than K+M that they throw a strop XD and as @SuperKittyLeia stated, I’d be happy for K+M to get all the bells and whistles that controller players get.

6 Likes

I feel like a lot of the data that we have is too vague for two major reasons.

1. PC players don’t have a red crosshair to tell them when a shot will land or when the weapon they are using is in range. Most mouse and keyboard players will be on PC.
  2. We don’t have a way to account for other variables like number of shots fired or different types of weapons used. Mouse and keyboard players are going to have more precision over long ranges and I think that means that they are more likely to attack from long distances.
4 Likes

This is why I think KD is probably a better measure than accuracy, as most players will likely play to the strengths of their input device. And if it doing that one is better at getting kills, then maybe balance should be adjusted. But even looking at it from that angle it’s hard to get amazing data, especially when over half the gametypes are objective, where KD isn’t the deciding factor in who wins. I’ve seen plenty of players who think they’re amazing with their 30-2 KD, but have a losing team, because sniping the enemy was more important to them than capturing the flag.

3 Likes

Is this PC controller/Keyboard stats,
or Xbox controller/Keyboard stats,
Or both?

I ask because controller works much better on PC than it does on Xbox. While M&K performs about the same on both.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t MnK have a slight edge on console due to Red Reticle? Assuming similar levels of performance.

3 Likes

Probably. TBH I was thinking about aim assist when I made that comment but you are right about the red dot, that would help to get a kill.

1 Like

Thinking more about it, it kind of feels odd how the M&K works better on Xbox in comparison to PC. While controller works better on PC in comparison to Xbox.

4 Likes

Yeah, it certainly does, but that’s how the game seems to work :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

While the stats are about what I’d expect, I still take issue with you using the “top 20 onyx players” sampling pool and then proceeding to never name them or link their stats. I was able to find them, but it makes your argument look less credible.

2 Likes

This is not true. I backed this up with video proof. Lies and myths spread worse than covid.

3 Likes

Here’s a short response to a very long post…shut up….let controller player have a game.

Get a controller or go play a different game.

2 Likes

Yea the main focus of this analysis is to prove that KBM doesn’t really have any chance in the Halo esports scene right now, which is a sad thing.

This game has been at the top of charts when KBM streamers were also playing it (summ1t, myth, xqc, shroud) all complained about KBM and all left… there should give us the option to have some HCS KBM only tournaments or add some extra bullet magnetis so that we see some (like 20% would be enough) KBM pro’s in tournaments.

It’s a sad thing that this game won’t have the chance to grow properly because of the fact that they are alienating 90% of their PC playerbase.

4 Likes

I think the metrics are slightly skewed against Crossplay, because it’s the Default option and the player pool likely has greater number of weaker Onyx players. But, at the same time, it’s general knowledge that Controller players are more difficult targets because of the ease of strafe and crouch controls, whereas mnk players likely don’t have the same movement patterns.

You may also get different data if looking at Swat-like game modes where strafe movement is less important in evading damage.

I’d also be interested to see how lower ranks are impacted by this, because the top 20 are players who are the best. It’s like looking at all the best bball dunkers and adjusting the basket height based on that data.

Why is this still a debate. Who cares?

If controller is better, play on a controller or get better than your opponent who does use controllers. You can play games with different peripherals, some are going to be better than others and, it’s an Xbox game that you can play on PC.
Microsoft wants you to buy an Xbox or at least an Xbox controller to use on your PC. They don’t make any money from you playing a F2P on your gaming PC with KBM.

Makes complete business sense to me.

3 Likes