Setting your inner/outer deadzones for best aiming

Figured I would make a quick explanation for those that dont know how to configure these settings.

Ideally you want to be at 0%, but that can potentially cause issues for some controllers. So loadup a private game for testing purposes and I will explain the process for how to set them.

How to set your inner deadzone:

Put it at 0%

Now, lightly nudge your right stick in a direction then let go. If your camera is still slowly moving even when you arent touching the stick (this is called look drift), then you should increase the size of your deadzone. Do this for every direction, including the diagonals.

If you have no drift problems, then congratulations… you are done.

However if you have drift problem, increase the size of the deadzone then try again. Repeat the process until you find the lowest number possible, where you dont get look drift.

How to set your outer deadzone:

Again, put this number to 0%

This time spin your character left, then spin your character right. If your character is turning very slowly in one or both directions then similar to before, increase the size of the deadzone, and try again.

Thats it!

Shouldnt take more than a couple minutes. And should give you improved control over your aim. Aim acceleration is primarily a preference thing, so you are on your own to figure out what setting suits you best.

EDIT - Over aiming concerns

Gonna address these in the original post since multiple people have mentioned this.

There is a good chance you might find yourself over aiming at first. With your inner deadzone set to 0 that means as soon as the stick moves, the game will register that movement, whereas previously the first 12% of stick movement wasnt being registered by the game at all. This means your aim is going to move a little farther than what you are used to every time you adjust it.

A larger range of control is objectively better, but if you are very used to the old settings it will require an adjustment period for your muscle memory to adapt. You can try lowering the sensitivity a bit in the meantime, but ultimately you will probably need some time to adapt to the fact that a portion of the stick movement that used to do nothing, is now doing something. Once you get used to new settings however, you should find you have a greater level of control over your aiming than you previously did.

Easy explanation. Thank you.

Nice explanation mate. It feels like a dream to play now. My friend that I play with is going to love this. The aiming has always felt off and it’s a god send that we can finally customise it.

So basically for the outer deadzone its all about if i turn slowly in one direction? or both etc Is their any downside to setting it to high?

> 2533274885506317;4:
> So basically for the outer deadzone its all about if i turn slowly in one direction? or both etc Is their any downside to setting it to high?

If you get drift/drag on any of the left/right directions, then you would have increase the deadzone until you stop getting look drift/drag. Increasing the outer deadzone would mean you would reach the full rotation speed quicker without moving the stick fully. Having 0% on both is the best choice as the game will mirror how much pressure is applied to the stick. I hope I’ve explained it as best as I can.

There’s a more in depth explanation on the news section on here, I would post a link but my phone is acting up.

> 2533274885506317;4:
> So basically for the outer deadzone its all about if i turn slowly in one direction? or both etc

Correct. When you move the stick all the way to the left or all the way to the right, you trigger a high speed turning mode so you can turn quicker. However some controllers will have issues where they are unable to trigger the turning mode. It usually only effects one direction, but in theory it could be both. Thats what this setting is for, is if your controller cant trigger the turning mode due to a calibration issue.

Thanks for the info ii just tested the deadzones then I had them both set to zero and I didn’t get slow turn or any stick drift. Must be with me using the new elite.i think i set look accel to 2 as it was that in the beta just made sense tbh.

> 2533274885506317;7:
> Thanks for the info ii just tested the deadzones then I had them both set to zero and I didn’t get slow turn or any stick drift. Must be with me using the new elite.i think i set look accel to 2 as it was that in the beta just made sense tbh.

Most of these issues occur with old worn controllers, down the line after some heavy use you might have to adjust them.

BTW, the negative of setting the outer deadzone high is you are more likely to accidentally engage the high speed turning mode when you dont actually want to turn. Which can cause you to aim beyond where you meant to aim. It also reduces your effective range of input available since it registers max input with less stick deflection.

> 2533274801372706;8:
> > 2533274885506317;7:
> > Thanks for the info ii just tested the deadzones then I had them both set to zero and I didn’t get slow turn or any stick drift. Must be with me using the new elite.i think i set look accel to 2 as it was that in the beta just made sense tbh.
>
>
> Most of these issues occur with old worn controllers, down the line after some heavy use you might have to adjust them.
> BTW, the negative of setting the outer deadzone high is you are more likely to accidentally engage the high speed turning mode when you dont actually want to turn. Which can cause you to aim beyond where you meant to aim. It also reduces your effective range of input available since it registers max input with less stick deflection.

Much appreciated for the info btw I just have to play with the look accel now not sure if higher or lower would suit me better. What have you set the look accel to on yours? Could the look accel lead to over aiming?

If you have a newish controller you should be fine setting both to 0%.

> 2533274885506317;9:
> > 2533274801372706;8:
> > > 2533274885506317;7:
> > > Thanks for the info ii just tested the deadzones then I had them both set to zero and I didn’t get slow turn or any stick drift. Must be with me using the new elite.i think i set look accel to 2 as it was that in the beta just made sense tbh.
> >
> >
> > Most of these issues occur with old worn controllers, down the line after some heavy use you might have to adjust them.
> > BTW, the negative of setting the outer deadzone high is you are more likely to accidentally engage the high speed turning mode when you dont actually want to turn. Which can cause you to aim beyond where you meant to aim. It also reduces your effective range of input available since it registers max input with less stick deflection.
>
>
> Much appreciated for the info btw I just have to play with the look accel now not sure if higher or lower would suit me better. What have you set the look accel to on yours? Could the look accel lead to over aiming?

It could lead to over aiming. As far as I can tell it only effects the turning mode. So when your stick is all the way to the left or the right it changes how fast the game ramps up to full turn speed. So at 1 it maybe takes a half of a second before you accelerate to full turning speed and at 5 it maybe takes a tenth of a second. It doesnt really seem to have any other effect on the aiming.

I havent played around with it much yet so im not sure what i prefer. But if you do find yourself over aiming and your reticle getting away from you, you could try lowering it. Or raising it if you want to be able to turn quicker when getting shot from behind.

Great post, thanks

Good post. Thank you!

I’ve got the Elite controller. I set my deadzones to 0% and my aim acceleration to 4. Feels so much better now

Nevermind I got it

> 2533274832368555;15:
> My camera doesn’t move at all no matter what I set the deadline at…am I doing right?

what settings do you have? I have 2 acceleration speed and 0% on both deadzones

Just changing the inner deadzone, from 12% to 10% made an astronomical difference for me. The controls feel so much better now. Thank you 343 for bringing this feature. I have really been hating the controls, but this made all the difference for me. THANK YOU!!! Great update all around!!!

> 2533274938709455;16:
> > 2533274832368555;15:
> > My camera doesn’t move at all no matter what I set the deadline at…am I doing right?
>
>
> what settings do you have? I have 2 acceleration speed and 0% on both deadzones

I messed with the settings and it never moved without me touching the controller no matter what I set it to…still a little unsure.

Fantastic post!

> 2533274832368555;18:
> > 2533274938709455;16:
> > > 2533274832368555;15:
> > > My camera doesn’t move at all no matter what I set the deadline at…am I doing right?
> >
> >
> > what settings do you have? I have 2 acceleration speed and 0% on both deadzones
>
>
> I messed with the settings and it never moved without me touching the controller no matter what I set it to…still a little unsure.

Well the camera isn’t suppose to move if you are not touching the stick