Seriously does anyone want smart scope to stay?

Disclaimer: Have not played the beta yet.

The inclusion of ADS… I mean “smart scope” is just baffling to me. In what universe does 343 exist in which it thinks it can pull the wool over our eyes and tell us that this is anything other than ADS. Just because you call a piece of poop by a different name doesn’t change what it really is and it certainly doesn’t make it not stink.

ADS is not only an abomination to Halo, it is in my opinion the single worst thing that has ever been attempted to be integrated in to the franchise.

Lets do some pros and cons

PROS: The generic casual FPS players will buy the game ( only to return it a week later when new fps comes out)

CONS: Oh god where to begin

1. First of all it makes 343 look like a joke. You have been trusted with one of the most prestigious well respected franchises in the world and you have the gumption to add a feature the community has literally been begging you not to succumb to? Way to go.

2. Completely unnecessary. The ADS doesn’t even work like traditional ADS and doesn’t fit Halo’s gameplay at all. halo was beloved without this stuff, now its just becoming generic.

3. Ruins peripheral vision. One of the worst things about it is it further clogs up your screen. 343 is going for immersion? At what cost? Well the cost of good gameplay unfortunately. Now everytime you need to zoom in you lose sight of your target because you have to bring the scope model up to your face which is annoying and distracting. Also the scope is present on screen so you lose basically 80% of your peripheral vision. With the case of the pistol the entire bottom 1/3 of your screen is covered up and really distracting and annoying. Honestly as far as gameplay is concerned, Halo just works better without all of the extra screen clutter. And you combined that with the fact that descope is back and youll find yourself constantly bringing the gun back ujp and down and never being able to keep your eyes on the target. all of these problems for the sake of immersion, in a game thats supposed to be a sport.

4. ADS activates thrusters. Imagine your jumping down and you see a guy across the map. You line up your shot and just as you zoom in to pull it off and land, instead your spartan activates his stupid stabilizers messing up your aiming arc and leaving you in the air like a sitting duck. An infant could understand why thats just a terrible game mechanic.

So I ask the community, who here actually wants this?

Don’t know, haven’t played the beta yet. Though for someone who also admits to not playing it, you sure seem to have made up your mind already thus skewing your perspective.

I just finished playing the beta and I think that the smart scope is great. I still mainly use hipfiring, but if a player is farther away, smart scope is a helpful option to have.

> 2533274812652989;2:
> Don’t know, haven’t played the beta yet. Though for someone who also admits to not playing it, you sure seem to have made up your mind already thus skewing your perspective.

As far as gamepay I don’t have an opinion. However considering SC is just supposed to be an “aesthetic enhancement” then I shouldn’t have to feel it and simply watching it in action should be enough to give an opinion on it. And everytime its used in a video its jarring and distracting.

I have played the beta, although not as long as I would have hoped. I can say from my experience, it is simply zoom in with a different animation and being able to see the gun and scope on screen.

For the assault rifle it adds a bit more skill to it as you want to have smart scope activated at the start of the fight to ensure better accuracy and hopefully the kill.

As for your point about the restricted viewing cause more on screen clutter, well that’s a matter of perspective. On one hand it does what you say it does, restricts view. On the other hand it promotes a more accurate aim. If you aren’t properly aimed on the enemy by the time you scope in then you’re probably going to lose the fight anyway.

Also, I actually really like the hover while scoped in. When people are trying to flee this allows me to gain a tactical advantage with height and line of sight. Yes it’ll change the way you aim but this is something that you can easily adjust to. If people shoot you you just fall right down anyway since the shots de-scope you.

Anyway, my two cents for what it’s worth. I’m a long time halo fan too, all the way back to CE. From what I played, this new halo 5 is pretty darn exciting.

Definitely like the smart scope. I have played the beta and it is just like zoom but just with an animation. Be open minded. The game feels pretty good for only being a beta. There is still a year until it comes out. They will fix how the sniper feels and the small bugs with the kill cam. People need to chill out.

After playing the beta for two days I have to say I like the inclusion of smart scope. Pre-beta I was pretty unsure about it and didn’t know if I would or not, but besides the new animation, the game pretty much plays the same as without it and the reintroduction of descope makes it even better.

I think Smart Scope is great ! (Have not played the Beta yet)

If they make it purely cosmetic then sure keep the smart scope, when purley cosmetic its just essentially a new animation for the click to zoom from previous halo’s
However as recent videos have shown the smart scope actually lowers spread allowing for much better accuracy, this needs to be removed for smart scope to stay in my opinion

> 2533274832130936;9:
> If they make it purely cosmetic then sure keep the smart scope, when purley cosmetic its just essentially a new animation for the click to zoom from previous halo’s
> However as recent videos have shown the smart scope actually lowers spread allowing for much better accuracy, this needs to be removed for smart scope to stay in my opinion

I’d argue that its a good thing that it does this for the AR and SMG. It makes them more useful at range when you get the jump on somebody, but the fact that descope exists means you can’t really use it in a dual with someone.

If it did so on precision weapons I’d agree with you.

Yeah. I do. Play the beta first then come back and post again.

I WANT it.

> 2533274810305245;1:
> 1. First of all it makes 343 look like a joke. You have been trusted with one of the most prestigious well respected franchises in the world and you have the gumption to add a feature the community has literally been begging you not to succumb to? Way to go.
>
> 2. Completely unnecessary. The ADS doesn’t even work like traditional ADS and doesn’t fit Halo’s gameplay at all. halo was beloved without this stuff, now its just becoming generic.

To be fair, these two aren’t actually objectively cons.

> 2533274810305245;1:
> 4. ADS activates thrusters. Imagine your jumping down and you see a guy across the map. You line up your shot and just as you zoom in to pull it off and land, instead your spartan activates his stupid stabilizers messing up your aiming arc and leaving you in the air like a sitting duck. An infant could understand why thats just a terrible game mechanic.

But is this really the case? First time I hear about it, but it sounds absolutely horrible.

I would like Smart Scope to be adapted into “zoom” as it were in the previous halo games.
I would not like it to give you a more concentrated spread, although I would like it to give you aim assist to targets who are far away.

> 2533274874708699;14:
> I would like Smart Scope to be adapted into “zoom” as it were in the previous halo games.
> I would not like it to give you a more concentrated spread, although I would like it to give you aim assist to targets who are far away.

Here’s the problem with that: a longer red-reticle range isn’t going to do anyone any good if the weapons (AR and SMG) are still just as inaccurate, hence why there is currently a tighter spread when zoomed/scoped.

It can stay in my opinion. Also, you can deactivate automatically stabilizing when SS’ing, at least that’s what I can gather from the beta footage.

> 2533274825830455;13:
> > 2533274810305245;1:
> > 1. First of all it makes 343 look like a joke. You have been trusted with one of the most prestigious well respected franchises in the world and you have the gumption to add a feature the community has literally been begging you not to succumb to? Way to go.
> >
> > 2. Completely unnecessary. The ADS doesn’t even work like traditional ADS and doesn’t fit Halo’s gameplay at all. halo was beloved without this stuff, now its just becoming generic.
>
>
>
> To be fair, these two aren’t actually objectively cons.
>
>
>
> > 2533274810305245;1:
> > 4. ADS activates thrusters. Imagine your jumping down and you see a guy across the map. You line up your shot and just as you zoom in to pull it off and land, instead your spartan activates his stupid stabilizers messing up your aiming arc and leaving you in the air like a sitting duck. An infant could understand why thats just a terrible game mechanic.
>
>
> But is this really the case? First time I hear about it, but it sounds absolutely horrible.

you can turn that off to be a toggle to activate in the menus. there are some situations where this can be useful, but if u dont like it, you could have turned it off.

It’s zoom with a fancy name. It gives canonical license to add those nifty visor effects that act as a sight. The only difference is there is an ever so slight delay to let the little animation play. To my knowlege not a single gun had faster or slower delays. In all ways that matter it’s not ADS.

I want it to stay and I honestly never thought I’d say this, but I actually really like the Smart Scope on the AR.

I have played the beta and I want it to stay. It’s the same thing as zoom in previous Halo games.