Seriously can't wait for Dedicated Servers...

Just played a game of Halo 4 with the worst split-screen host I’ve ever seen. In a nutshell all they needed to do was jump sideways and the game was so thrown off at least half, possibly more of your shots stopped registering. And when they sprayed their AR at you it felt like it was dealing double damage mainly because while the fire pattern sounded erratic as all hell, you took damage as if they had a full auto AR with perfect accuracy.

Dedicated Servers are going to be one of the best things that ever happened to the Halo franchise. Now we just have to hope 343i doesn’t disappoint us again with another awful entry to the franchise.

I’m with you mate, after 10+ years of P2P I’m over it. Halo X1 can’t get here soon enough. I think many underestimate just how much of an impact dedis are going to have on Halo multiplayer. To me it’s the cornerstone of making a great Halo experience. Excited is an understatement.

> Dedicated Servers are going to be one of the best things that ever happened to the Halo franchise. Now we just have to hope 343i doesn’t disappoint us again with another awful entry to the franchise.

I wonder if this is why Halo 5 appears to have been pushed back? Are they starting from scratch again?

I think I’ve gotten host in Halo a grand total of twice. If I could have that level of hit detection all the time… it would be glorious.

On the other hand, if CS:GO, Halo Custom Edition and CoD4 PC have taught me anything it’s that my connection sucks and dedicated servers are going to do absolutely nothing to help it (reason being all of the above have dedicated servers and I get around the same if not worse hit detection). At least others will get the benefits even if I won’t… soo there’s that I guess.

Back in Halo 3 I went through a 3 month period where I got host every single game, as I’d just gotten a new Internet Provider.

I felt untouchable, like a god. I was going +20 at least every single game, and I actually stopped missing Sniper Headshots altogether. It was something that wouldn’t remotely happen again until Halo Reach came along with it’s incredible netcode and servers… Which was ruined when Reach transferred from Bungie’s servers to Microsoft’s relatively laggy servers. And again with Halo 4 being even laggier than Reach is on MS’ servers.

> I think I’ve gotten host in Halo a grand total of twice. If I could have that level of hit detection all the time… it would be glorious.
>
> On the other hand, if CS:GO, Halo Custom Edition and CoD4 PC have taught me anything it’s that my connection sucks and dedicated servers are going to do absolutely nothing to help it (reason being all of the above have dedicated servers and I get around the same if not worse hit detection). At least others will get the benefits even if I won’t… soo there’s that I guess.

Keep in mind when you’re referring to Dedicated Servers in terms of most PC games with a lobby browser, only specific lobbies even have Dedicated Servers. And on top of that, the company that makes the game doesn’t even host the Dedicated Servers, players who love the game have to pay money out of their own pocked on a monthly basis, so that a third party will host the dedicated server for them. These third party hosts don’t exactly guarantee quality of any kind, all it means is elimination of host.

In the case of games like Gears of War 3, and Battlefield on Console, dedicated servers actually means company owned servers designed to optimize the network experience for every player in the game. Which is why particularly Gears 3 almost never lags in Ranked Matches. When 343i says dedicated servers, this is what they mean, they are going to privately host the servers for all ranked (and possibly unranked) games in order to optimize everyone’s experience. Though probably not Custom Games unfortunately.

I wouldn’t get all your hopes up just yet. Granted there is a good chance dedicated servers will work wonderfully for Halo 5 as they do for Battlefield 4. However I’ve been playing Titanfall since release which is on Microsoft’s Azure network and I’ve never seen a game where every player has full 5 bars.

Every game I’m in either has one player with 5 bars (host?) and everyone else with 2-4 bars, or everyone having one bar. I’ve run into very laggy matches with players skipping around everywhere and warping back and forth. I’ve had games where we’ve lost connection halfway through, and I’ve had times where I couldn’t even connect to Titanfall.

I have 45mbps down and 10 mpbs up.

So… with that being said, I know it’s easy to get butterflies in your stomach and get anxious and excited for dedicated servers but don’t get your hopes up too much and set yourself up for a fall.

They rigged up a dedicated server for Titanfall here in Australia. It’s not azure servers because Microsoft haven’t finished setting them up here yet but I have been playing on a fairly consistent 4-5 bars and its been great. Was only on 1 bar at launch on SE Asia/Japan servers. It’s not perfect but it will do us until they get azure set up.

So far, my experience with the dedicated servers employed in Titanfall has been pretty positive and gives me hope for the next Halo.

Just avoiding black screens and host migrations will be a vast improvement.

BF4s dedicated servers didnt really change anything for me. A lot of very frustrating situations where I shot first and died first. A lot of lag anyway in BF4.

But in Titanfall I didnt had a single laggy situation. Not even a situation where I was like, “oh common, I did shot first” The netcode is perfectly.

So Halo 5s dedicated servers could be good or not so good. But they cant be worse than getting foreign host and five blackscreens + disconnect.

> BF4s dedicated servers didnt really change anything for me. A lot of very frustrating situations where I shot first and died first. A lot of lag anyway in BF4.
>
> But in Titanfall I didnt had a single laggy situation. Not even a situation where I was like, “oh common, I did shot first” The netcode is perfectly.
>
> So Halo 5s dedicated servers could be good or not so good. But they cant be worse than getting foreign host and five blackscreens + disconnect.

Totally disagree with you. I’ve had tons of experiences like those last night. There are plenty of times where I’ve started shooting and in the killcam I see that I haven’t shot anything or started shooting way later then when the enemy came around the corner.

Dedicated servers aren’t perfect. The game also needs to have good code to handle all that information including path times, hit boxes, etc.

HOWEVER,

Azure networks have improved the experience to getting a group together, in a game, with no one dropping or with no black screens or host switches. I just wish titanfall was more fun. I’ve reached level 50 already and most of the game modes are just boring, twitch fests of people running around and shooting at anything that moves. There is no strategy or tactics except for maybe in last titan standing.

I miss playing playing Halo on Dedi servers. :frowning: