Seriously 343i, hope you fixed this!!!

A while ago I posted a pic of an example of Reach’s RIDICULOUS hit detection gone wrong, as well as bullets going through walls. But this one… this one takes the cake. I really hope that since 343i said they basically rebuilt the Halo engine from the ground up, that things like this won’t happen (or at least, not as often or to this degree) anymore.

I was playing Team Snipers on Boardwalk (ugh). The first “WTF” moment (and there were MANY throughout the entire game, mind you) was when my perfectly-aimed headshot on a guy walking STRAIGHT toward me, somehow not only didn’t register as a headshot, but didn’t even register as a HIT at all! Here’s the proof:

Um, why isn’t this a kill, again?

Then, to add insult to injury (or lack thereof, as it were), this happened immediately afterward:

Wow, that’s talented…

This isn’t just a little “oh, he just barely hit the corner, so it didn’t register as hitting the wall, because it was SO close”, it’s blatantly going directly through the wall without even being CLOSE to the edge. At all. Here’s another angle:

I am done playing Reach, this is absolutely unacceptable…

On top of all this, the servers are such a joke that nearly EVERY game, at least 1 player on the opposing team was glitching 10-15 feet on a regular basis, making it even more impossible to actually hit someone. Add to that the fact that I’d kill someone, they’d be halfway through falling to the ground (the animation, I mean), and they’d fire off a shot and kill me after the fact, plus the fact that some of my kills were not even close to being hits, and you’ve basically got a game that is no longer about skill and aim, but rather more like a freaking slot machine: maybe you’ll get a kill,maybe you won’t! Depends on how the game feels at the time!

This is the reason why even with the anemic population, and the terribly bad servers, I still rather play Halo 3 right now, because at least when I hit someone, they die like intended.

I really, REALLY hope 343i has done everything in their power to improve hit detection in Halo 4. I understand that there are limitations, and hit detection can’t be 100% perfect all the time, every time, but certainly it must be possible to not have this sort of thing happen several games in a row, throughout the ENTIRE game!

Lag.

That’s the only explanation for all of those above, and that isn’t a fault of the dev.

> Lag.
>
> That’s the only explanation for all of those above, and that isn’t a fault of the dev.

Lag is only created because of p2p matchmaking. Which isn’t the debs fault. However it is 2012 and I think specific devs should look into the benefits of dedicated servers for the community and profit.

> Lag.
>
> That’s the only explanation for all of those above, and that isn’t a fault of the dev.

Lag != bullets going directly though walls. That’s not lag. That’s poor hit detection. Poor connection/lag does not account for a bullet aimed at a wall to go through a said wall instead of bouncing off like it should.

In my other thread, I posted the video, which showed the opponent firing in the same place 3 times, 2 of those times, the bullets hit the wall as they should. The third shot, which was a more inside shot (i.e. further away from the corner of the wall, more toward the wall and away from the corner, thus more likely to register as a wall-hit) went directly through the wall and hit me. Lag does not explain that. If it were a shot aimed off to the side of my head and still counted as a headshot, I’d understand that = lag. But this was 3 direct shots aimed at a wall near where I was, and 1 of them went through and killed me. That’s not lag.

Can’t see any of your examples wont load for me for some reason. But it’s most likely lag. Also another thing, if you want to get all mad over killing people through all, games have done it many times before. Halo weapons are incredibly strong, i wouldnt be surprised if the pistol could shoot through walls.

> > Lag.
> >
> > That’s the only explanation for all of those above, and that isn’t a fault of the dev.
>
> Lag != bullets going directly though walls. That’s not lag. That’s poor hit detection. Poor connection/lag does not account for a bullet aimed at a wall to go through a said wall instead of bouncing off like it should.

You seem to not understand. What you see and what the other person sees can be two different things with lag.

Sir boobington is correct your connection might suck but the others is fine. I’d suggest trying a new provider.

> Lag.
>

Lag is not always the answer to the problem MOA.

> Lag.
>

The devs chose to use peer to peer hosting when there are superior options available so technically it is their fault.

My computer is old and crap, so it has decided it can’t load the pages linked, but I know what OP is talking about, I think. I’ve had several instances of Reach just being… based on lies. Most notably is the fact that there’s a spot on Boardwalk where you can only see someone’s feet/ankles… and (I’ve been on both the shooting and being shot side of this) you can shoot through the gap and get a headshot.

Yeah… I doubt that’s lag.

Lag. This happened to me sometimes, but usually I am on a custom game map using lots of memory.

UPnP, DMZ Boosting, Port Forwarding, Using Wired to connect, all those make a massive difference.

> > Lag.
> >
> > That’s the only explanation for all of those above, and that isn’t a fault of the dev.
>
> Lag != bullets going directly though walls. That’s not lag. That’s poor hit detection. Poor connection/lag does not account for a bullet aimed at a wall to go through a said wall instead of bouncing off like it should.

Yes it is. Thats exactly what lag does.

> > Lag.
> >
>
> The devs chose to use peer to peer hosting when there are superior options available so technically it is their fault.

Why are you so convinced that some big huge super-official dedi in a datacenter somewhere can magically sidestep the laws of physics?

There would be greater benefit to gameplay in instituting a simple region filter (Americas/Europe/Asia etc), and it would also be much cheaper to run for microsoft which = no sub price hikes.

Region filter for P2P is an option i can get behind.

Definitely lag. Had this happen to me a couple of times. If you can see the other persons view they are in a different spot so it looks like you’re missing.

> > > Lag.
> > >
> > > That’s the only explanation for all of those above, and that isn’t a fault of the dev.
> >
> > Lag != bullets going directly though walls. That’s not lag. That’s poor hit detection. Poor connection/lag does not account for a bullet aimed at a wall to go through a said wall instead of bouncing off like it should.
>
> You seem to not understand. What you see and what the other person sees can be two different things with lag.

Precisely. You might be in cover on your screen, but in the open on another. I was in a game where only one person had spawned, and nobody else was on the map to them, but it was fine on my screen.

Many weird things that happen in a game can all be attributed to lag.

Its completely lag. If you were to find the other persons perspective of this it would look completely normal. It only shows as coming through that corner for you because of lag.

> > > Lag.
> > >
> > > That’s the only explanation for all of those above, and that isn’t a fault of the dev.
> >
> > The devs chose to use peer to peer hosting when there are superior options available so technically it is their fault.
>
> Why are you so convinced that some big huge super-official dedi in a datacenter somewhere can magically sidestep the laws of physics?
>
> There would be greater benefit to gameplay in instituting a simple region filter (Americas/Europe/Asia etc), and it would also be much cheaper to run for microsoft which = no sub price hikes.
>
> Region filter for P2P is an option i can get behind.

My Opinion:

I am so convinced that dedicated servers offer a more stable, secure, and fair connection to user than peer to peer hosts because I have spent many years gaming on both of them. When I play on some peer to peer hosts I feel like I time traveled back to the nineties.

Fact:

Data centers are equipped with better hardware, better internet service packages, and are better equipped to deal with network attacks than a residential consumer.

Rebuttal to your next post:

Microsoft makes billions every year off xbl fees alone and there are still advertisements on the dashboard. 343 Industries is a Microsoft subsidiary. They can afford it.

It has to be due to latency, you would never see this in a LAN game.

A quarter of my shots don’t even register, every single game. It’s because I’m from Europe, so I never get the host and if I meet people from other countries there is always lag… Be happy it only happens you once. :expressionless: