Separate aim optimization for each input method without balance and optional cross-play OR overall population with parity across input methods and cross-play?

Hey all,

Been having some back and forth with other players on Reddit and want to get a feel for where others are at. Which of the following do you feel should be the priority path 343i takes when optimizing aim controls and implementing cross-play:

1. Controller and M&K should be tuned completely separately without regard to balancing them with each other in order to make each the best possible experience for those players. Cross-play should be optional with filters for all players to choose who they play with in every playlist.

2. Controller and M&K must be balanced with cross-play required in social playlists. This is necessary to ensure there’s a healthy population for players.

1 Like

I agree, if anything controller sens needs to go back to 1-10 that’s it! If people want all the other extra options have them click a check box. I just want my 7 sensitivity back and aim I was used to for years!

I’m not suggesting that the aim customization settings are bad to have. I’m talking about things 343i decides that the player cannot control: aim assist, bullet magnetism, bloom, range, etc.

Oh then I got no idea what ur talking about

343i can tune all these settings either exclusively for controller players based on what feels good and what the controller players prefer, or they can tune these settings such that mouse & keyboard and controller are roughly balanced with each other (which in general means much less aim assist and other things that make it easier to aim on controller).

Which do you feel 343i should do?

It’s inherently impossible to balance the two inputs without seriously upsetting or ruining one or the other. MCC shows that unadjusted Aim Assist outclasses Mouse movements, Infinite shows what adjusted “balanced” aim assist looks like and it more than ruffled some feathers.

Ideally there should be no tolerance for input mixing in Ranked, but players should have the option to choose Cross-input/play choices in the casual game modes.

I really don’t think there’s a middle ground that can be further achieved with input balancing if I’m being honest.

2 Likes

It’s inherently impossible to balance the two inputs without seriously upsetting or ruining one or the other. MCC shows that unadjusted Aim Assist outclasses Mouse movements, Infinite shows what adjusted “balanced” aim assist looks like and it more than ruffled some feathers.

I agree with you.

Here’s my question, are you happy with how controller aim feels across all the weapons? I personally feel like they made some weapons a little too difficult/unforgiving (Sidekick, Commando, Sentinel Beam, Stalker Rifle, Shock Rifle, and Skewer).

1 definitely.

Like I’ve mentioned earlier. Crossplay is used as a means for boosting population health. It’s not meant for competitive play.

Aim optimization should always be prioritze creating an enjoyable aiming experience.

Are you on controller or M&K? How do you feel about the feel of aiming currently?

I play on controller. I can’t really say for certain if low aim assist really is the cause of most of the issues on controller, but I do know that trying to balance aim for crossplay is impossible. I mean there’s just no way.

Honestly, we’re in desperate need for an update from 343 regarding aim across the board. I can sympathize with most MnK players because I have a mouse as well and it certainly doesn’t feel plesant to play on.

I don’t know if anyone have seen this but there’s a few posts talking about aim in Infinite that outline the deadzone and acceleration curves. It really does give insight as to why aim feels like garbage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/pw06o6/halo_infinite_deadzones_acceleration_curve_and/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I actually have not used controller yet. I’ve wanted to, but i don’t have a Bluetooth antenna or micro usb long enough for my PC. I’m going to give it a shot as soon as I can though and I’ll report back when I do try it out.

I’ll be honest with you though, I was a PC player through and through, my whole life. I got my first dual analog controller system in 2008 (360) and honestly could never really swing it. I was just happy I could play with friends online for the first time ever lol. Controller always felt wrong to me.

I’m on controller as well and I’m overall not happy with it. Halo MCC feels far better to aim. I can live with how things are now, but they just aren’t ideal and I’d be very upset if they make anything more difficult to aim.

I personally feel like they made some weapons a little too difficult/unforgiving for controller aim: Sidekick, Commando, Sentinel Beam, Stalker Rifle, Shock Rifle, and Skewer

1 Like

That’s fine. I want people like you to be able to play with your friends that are on controller. I just want 343i to stop trying to balance the input methods as I feel like they made controller aiming a bit too hard in doing so.

I’m also aware that 343i has made some things hard on PC that perhaps shouldn’t be such as no-scope shots with the sniper rifle.

Trust me. Xbox is their primary playerbase. They’re not going to nerf aim assist and risk -Yoink!- us off.

Besides, crossinput play is the true issue when it comes down to it. Halo is an even starts game; that goes for aiming peripherals, too. How can you truly balance a game if you’re breaking the rules that set it’s competitive framework?

1 Like

Personally despite my stance on crossplay (input/console) and my stance that inputs cannot be balanced, I still play on M/KB and even with Crossplay on. In MCC and Infinite at least in casual play because I’m more interested in playing the game than I am with whatever disadvantages I or other players whatever their choice might be.

For the first month I was playing with a mix of PC/Console MKB/Controller players because we just wanted to play Halo lol. I’m 28, most of my friends are around my age. Anecdotally we’re more interested in the ability to just have someone to have fun with in the limited time we have to enjoy our free time than we were interested in a fair/equal and balanced experience. Hell my one buddy was getting sub 30fps on his original Xbox One and was still having a blast :joy:

So you don’t have to worry about my ability to enjoy the mixed input/console situation in a casual way, I’m good my guy lol