Sense of scale

Not sure if this has been shared yet, but a Reddit user (who else) has made a discovery that has enabled them to make what they believe is a fairly accurate approximation of the size of the biome we saw in the Gameplay demo.

Link

To clarify, this is an estimation of the size of the section of the biome we saw in the gameplay demo on the tacmap - not the whole biome/ area, just the part we saw on the map. If accurate…this is staggering.

Serious comparisons being made to ‘Breath of the Wild’ here, if accurate.

Dude, holy -Yoink-

Next question of that now would be how much of that is traversable.

> 2533274857642512;2:
> Dude, holy -Yoink-

Exactly!

> 2533274868747146;3:
> Next question of that now would be how much of that is traversable.

Well, they’ve said you can go anywhere you see…but then Bethesda said that about Skyrim and the mountain lol

Something about this seems off to me. Like, if the distance to that AA gun on that frame is 1300 meters, and the game has a larger field of view than Halo 3 (more than 70 degrees), then the length of that AA gun’s barrel is more than 120 meters, and the diameter of one of those hexagonal pylons is more than 10 meters. I’m not saying they aren’t, but everything kind of seems smaller than that distance suggests.

> 2533274799621457;5:
> > 2533274868747146;3:
> > Next question of that now would be how much of that is traversable.
>
> Well, they’ve said you can go anywhere you see…but then Bethesda said that about Skyrim and the mountain lol

I mean if its the case like bethesda and skyrim I don’t think people would be
that annoyed with it however it were like Bungie saying stuff when they first released Destiny back then maybe people will be mad.

> 2533274868747146;3:
> Next question of that now would be how much of that is traversable.

I believe that some YTers who were on the call with 343 after the demo said that 343 mentioned that the entire world is traversable. I’ll try and track down the quotes.

Edit: Here is one.

> 2533274857642512;2:
> Dude, holy -Yoink-

I second that!

“See that mountain? You can climb that mountain.”

Using an open world as a selling point in and of itself is a tired and played out trick at this point. The truth is that any open world game is only as good as it is filled with viable things to do; many ambitious open-world experiences have been shattered by the issue of expansive but largely empty playspaces, or the even more common issue of having countless, repetitive busy-work, cookie-cutter side quests like map towers and pointless tacked on collect-a-thon elements without much substance.

This is one of the reasons I was always very mixed about the idea of Infinite going open world–it’s a popular move in gaming, but it doesn’t translate directly into better quality experiences than a truly linear game can provide, and in fact it can often dilute and diminish many enjoyable elements of more contained and guided games due to lack of focus and overemphasized scale or grindy progression schemes/checklists.

I’m not saying Infinite’s doomed to be a bad open world, game, it just has me seriously crossing my fingers since 343i doesn’t have any precedent for having created satisfying open ended games. I’m hoping it can represent the best elements (a sense of freedom, deep immersion, and endless possibility, undiminished by the aforementioned issues) instead of feeling like a freshman effort.

The worst part of all of this is that I’d say the risks of an open world game falling prey to the pitfalls of the genre increase in step with the planned scale of the project; the more content there is, the more of it can go wrong.

TL;DR: I’m hoping that 343i, at least to begin with, places a higher priority on meaningful exploration and convincingly and compellingly populated playspaces than they do on raw scope and scale. Otherwise, I’m worried we’ll find ourselves doing a lot of pointless donuts in the Warthog.

hope we get dynamic encounters within these largely empty spaces. I’m all for exploration but a generally empty map would be disappointing. ODST did at least have encounters in the form of roaming and dropped off enemy which would surely be ideal here too. I really do also hope we get some big vehicle action at times in the form of dynamic encounters. A world outside of main or side missions that can also engage the player more than just exploration is hopefully what we get. Otherwise those lush large environments are a bit wasted in terms of combat fun that could be had in them

And to think, it’s that big and can zoom into the point of seeing individual cliffs…

I like big maps and all but I just hope it isn’t an empty boring world.

> 2533274933538004;13:
> I like big maps and all but I just hope it isn’t an empty boring world.

In all honesty, I doubt it will be. If anything they’ll likely over-compensate from wanting to avoid just that.

The size of the world means nothing if it can’t reach the same sense of scale that Halo 3 had in the massive battlefields with dozens of large scorpions, wraiths, ghosts, warthogs, dozens of hornets and banshees flying overhead fighting, and just the sheer impressiveness of dealing with scarabs, with all the tools and terrain at your disposal.
So far we’ve only seen small scale skirmishes, no large war efforts, and the little I’ve heard and seen seems to indicate that there won’t be that many allied npcs fighting by your side.
But maybe they’re saving things up, one can only hope, I do like the return to classic aesthetics, though weapons leave a lot to be desired, but at least elites look like actual elites now.

> 2533274805966947;15:
> The size of the world means nothing if it can’t reach the same sense of scale that Halo 3 had in the massive battlefields with dozens of large scorpions, wraiths, ghosts, warthogs, dozens of hornets and banshees flying overhead fighting, and just the sheer impressiveness of dealing with scarabs, with all the tools and terrain at your disposal.
> So far we’ve only seen small scale skirmishes, no large war efforts, and the little I’ve heard and seen seems to indicate that there won’t be that many allied npcs fighting by your side.
> But maybe they’re saving things up, one can only hope, I do like the return to classic aesthetics, though weapons leave a lot to be desired, but at least elites look like actual elites now.

As I’ve said in another post, I honestly think they’re at risk of overcompemsating rather than not doing enough