SDK leak and mcc issues *important*

This is not my post, simply sharing it from a reddit user. Link to the reddit thread is below.

Source: http://www.thetechgame.com/News/sid=7761/xbox-one-software-development-kit-leaked-on-twitter-with-documentation.html

Link to reddit post this is based on: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2rl1qa/sdk_leak_and_thoughts_around_mcc_issues/

Based on the November SDK leak, MS is re-doing the entire multiplayer system, specifically the party structure. They are calling the new system 2015 Multiplayer.
Per MS, the new system would work as follows:

"Summary of the 2014 Multiplayer Design The 2014 Multiplayer design is based on the concept of the game party, exposed to titles using the Microsoft.Xbox.Services.Multiplayer Namespace in the XDK. The game party is an Xbox One system-level construct that titles use to manage a group of people who are playing together within a title. All joins and invitations are currently to the game party, and matchmaking is driven by game party membership.

In 2014 Multiplayer, the title places game party members into multiplayer session directory (MPSD) sessions to manage connectivity and report multiplayer interactions. The interaction with MPSD sessions by the title uses the Xbox Services API (XSAPI) and/or the Xbox Live Services RESTful API.

2015 Multiplayer Design The most obvious change implemented in the 2015 Multiplayer is that titles no longer need to access multiplayer functionality through game parties. Instead, they can now perform all multiplayer-related operations directly, using MPSD sessions. The following diagrams illustrate this change.
The XSAPI has been updated to enable titles to: Advertise a user’s current activity and availability for joins. Send invites to sessions, along with user-visible (title-specified) context strings. Discover and join sessions. Maintain web socket connections to the MPSD so that they can receive shoulder taps on session changes, and so that the MPSD can rapidly detect and act upon client disconnection. Use Smart Match matchmaking. Use service-to-service calls to access new MPSD functionality."

The 2015 Multiplayer system has been in preview form for a period of time and I believe Halo: MCC was the very first game to try it out and it failed miserably. The issue is on the MS backend. They thought it was working fine but all the handshakes don’t work. This is why 343 has been unable to fix the problem. They didn’t really create the issue, they used the system they were given and they don’t want to go back now because in the end it will be better.
I also believe this is why 343 included a p2p backup plan, if the new matchmaking failed to connect to dedicated then you would revert to p2p.

Thoughts?

Makes sense concerning the MM issues… so i guess we were test subjects for MS? Btw i dont mean that n a bad way

> 2535469971409795;2:
> Makes sense concerning the MM issues… so i guess we were test subjects for MS? Btw i dont mean that n a bad way

This is what it appears to be. I can’t help but feel sorry for 343 for being scapegoated out by Microsoft and taking all the blame for this if this system was implemented to MCC first before anything else.

Objection !

Why is this working on all other titles?

:slight_smile:

> 2533274842266413;3:
> > 2535469971409795;2:
> > Makes sense concerning the MM issues… so i guess we were test subjects for MS? Btw i dont mean that n a bad way
>
>
> This is what it appears to be. I can’t help but feel sorry for 343 for being scapegoated out by Microsoft and taking all the blame for this if this system was implemented to MCC first before anything else.

Ya, but what can we do but endure? Maybe MS new system will be fixed and we will be better off… i hope so, but it’s a wait and see.

> 2533274797953612;4:
> Objection !
>
> Why is this working on all other titles?
>
> :slight_smile:

Ive had slight issues on Ryse with multiplayer

> 2533274797953612;4:
> Objection !
>
>

Well as stated in the post above, its believed that MCC is the first game to implement these changes. I’m not entirely sure what infrastructure other titles are running on.

Also this is simply just a theory, at any time it may be proven false, but until then it’s a very probable community discussion.

It’d be a shame if the issues of MCC are on MS.

If this is true, and i can attest to their being changes from novembers xdk and decembers, Using MCC, the flagship title of the xbox as the test, is irresponsible, and shows just how STUPID microsoft would be to do this, on a AAA title without external testing,

This thread is all heresay at the moment, but this is incredibly likely, just cant be proven

Sorry meant SDK not xdk,xdk is the container format

I guess this could explain fileshare as well

1. I’ve been saying blame Microsoft…now we know the rabbit holecgoes even deeper.
  2. I’ve wondered before if it was a deeper issue with the console itself, not the game.
  3. Screw you sideways Microsoft for experimenting on us! And making us PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE!

Well, this make’s everything so much clearer. No need to hate 343 anymore if it really is MS fault.
Engaging MS Hate mode…

//Start up sequence initiated//
//Start up complete//
Now next MS, when something that is obviously your fault, Come out about it so we don’t murder 343?

Hmm. Ok. Well if they want the Xbox One to live up to the “unrivalled multiplayer” marketing slogan they use then they need to do something because they have lost ground in that department lately. I don’t play my Xbox to rack up Gamerscore I play it to play multiplayer.

> 2533274799557323;10:
> 1) I’ve been saying blame Microsoft…now we know the rabbit holecgoes even deeper.
> 2) I’ve wondered before if it was a deeper issue with the console itself, not the game.
> 3) Screw you sideways Microsoft for experimenting on us! And making us PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE!

I have a friend in game design, and he says microsoft does things like this more often than not. They’re constantly developing new things that no one knows how to use and don’t understand and expecting developers to use them.

After all, they forced bungie to port Halo 2 PC onto DX10, which required windows vista to run. So not only did they make bungie port a game to an specific operating system required to run the game, they forced everyone to upgrade to vista just to be able to play Halo 2 on PC.

Good find

Is there any support for the assertion that MS forced 343 to utilize this new system, or is that speculation? It certainly seems plausible and would change my impressions of this catastrophe…

This, I would like to believe, is the real reason for all of the frustrations. It was surmised on reddit that all of the hate towards 343 was is and continues to be unwarranted considering this information.

I personally stopped using these forums for a long time because it became apparent that there are too many self entitled whiny gamers who come on here and drown out important posts with their useless posts complaining about EVERYTHING. Is it a surprise still that 343 folks use neogaf to post rather than here? Any jerk with a cell phone can hop on here and complain about things that they don’t quite understand.

Given 343s track record, with halo 4 and its matchmaking system, why should anyone suggest that 343 screwed this up and is not inclined to fix it? Maybe the real answer is they can’t until there is an update to the Xbox one. That the real issue is Microsoft set something up as an experiment and it didn’t work.

Interesting post OP… Most Intriguing, indeed…

As a software engineer this is interesting. However it doesn’t remove blame from 343. What’s more likely? Microsoft providing a broken api or 343 using it incorrectly? Plus as a publisher, Microsoft wouldn’t tell 343 to use the new system. It’s more likely that 343 decided to use it and just messed up if they are actually using it. Also if it was Microsoft’s fault, why didn’t 343 patch the game and fall back on the 2014 system temporarily because they know that works?

I’m still going to blame 343 for this one. If they were trained software developers, this wouldn’t be an issue.

Edit: after thinking about this more, I’m having a harder time believing it because the halo 5 beta seems to be working fine, or at least better than MCC.

> 2533274797953612;4:
> Objection !
>
>

At first I thought it was halo’s party system that was messed up. Then I started playing other games, and realized that the party system is messed up across all of them. It is a pain in to get a party together. Some times it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Either way hopefully a change is coming for the party system.

> 2533274793734669;18:
> What’s more likely? Microsoft providing a broken api or 343 using it incorrectly?

Could honestly be a toss up at this point.

Though I’m leaning more towards MS being the party to blame here.