Screen Filter

One of the things that made Reach feel dull, depressing, make you want to put down the controller and go play something ells was the filter looking thing that I guess was supposed to be some kind of visor effect. Its like a vary vary light TV static on your visor. Halo CEA and all the other Halo’s did not have this and was much enjoyed. Please keep this filter looking effect out of Halo4.

you mean night vision right? other than that im confused

Were you playing with the nightvison on? If not I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Lol, night vision. No I was not playing with night vision on. Its vary faint and hard to notice unless you concentrate. I haven’t played Reach in a while but I’m pretty sure it even went away when you die and switch to a free cam. Its vary faint. I’ll see if I can find a part of the game where its easiest to notice. It might be campaign only.

Guys, the OP is talking about an effect known as “film grain”. It almost resembles a blurry noise effect on the screen.

It actually isn’t noticeable on most TVs – but it’s very noticeable in screenshots retrieved from Bungie.net, and words cannot even come close to describing how pointlessly irritating the effect is. It should be kept out of Halo 4.

> Guys, the OP is talking about an effect known as “film grain”. It almost resembles a blurry noise effect on the screen.
>
> It actually isn’t noticeable on most TVs – but it’s very noticeable in screenshots retrieved from Bungie.net, and words cannot even come close to describing how pointlessly irritating the effect is. It should be kept out of Halo 4.

Thank you.

I have never noticed it do you have a link to any pictures if not ill check bungie.net for it

> Lol, night vision. No I was not playing with night vision on. Its vary faint and hard to notice unless you concentrate. I haven’t played Reach in a while but I’m pretty sure it even went away when you die and switch to a free cam. Its vary faint. I’ll see if I can find a part of the game where its easiest to notice. It might be campaign only.

Check your spelling. It’s very not vary.

> I have never noticed it do you have a link to any pictures if not ill check bungie.net for it

Look at any Bungie.net screenshot that shows a good bit of Forge World’s sky – or any other solid color, really. You’ll probably have to download the hi-res version and look at that to really see it.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that’s annoyed with this filter. It’s distracting from what the game actually looks like, and I hope to jebus that Halo 4 gives us a clear screen again.

I never noticed it. I did in Mass Effect (when it was turned on), but not in Reach.

> I never noticed it. I did in Mass Effect (when it was turned on), but not in Reach.

insert troll comment

How could you not notice it? it’s everywhere!

> How could you not notice it? it’s everywhere!

Well, if it’s on the entirety of the screen, then of course its everywhere. As for how I didn’t notice it, I can only hazard a few guesses:

  1. My television is different than yours;
  2. My vision is different than yours;
  3. I’m not as observant as you are;
  4. Not every copy of Reach had this effect;
  5. I was concentrating on what was happening on screen, and not on the screen itself.

How am I supposed to know how I didn’t notice it? I just didn’t, and from the looks of it, neither did some other people.

> > How could you not notice it? it’s everywhere!
>
> Well, if it’s on the entirety of the screen, then of course its everywhere. As for how I didn’t notice it, I can only hazard a few guesses:
>
> 1. My television is different than yours;
> 2. My vision is different than yours;
> 3. I’m not as observant as you are;
> 4. Not every copy of Reach had this effect;
> 5. I was concentrating on what was happening on screen, and not on the screen itself.
>
> How am I supposed to know how I didn’t notice it? I just didn’t, and from the looks of it, neither did some other people.

  1. I’m using an 8 year old SDTV
  2. no comment
  3. I’m hardly the observant type, I just picked it up
  4. Every copy of Reach was the same; thus all copies had Film Grain
  5. Fair enough assumption.

And I wasn’t trying to make it sound like I was going off at you “for not noticing it”, I tend to jump down people’s throat…sigh.

Apologies.

> And I wasn’t trying to make it sound like I was going off at you “for not noticing it”, I tend to jump down people’s throat…sigh.
>
> Apologies.

No, I know you weren’t. My reply was also meant in jest. I’m sorry it didn’t come across that way.

> > And I wasn’t trying to make it sound like I was going off at you “for not noticing it”, I tend to jump down people’s throat…sigh.
> >
> > Apologies.
>
> No, I know you weren’t. My reply was also meant in jest. I’m sorry it didn’t come across that way.

No, it’s alright mate. It’s muy fault. I tend to take things the wrong way. But at the end of the day, we’ll just laugh at this and move on

=]

> No, it’s alright mate. It’s muy fault. I tend to take things the wrong way. But at the end of the day, we’ll just laugh at this and move on
>
> =]

Of course we will!

adds your name to The List

P.S. You wouldn’t happen to be Australian, would you? Your use of the word “mate” has made me wonder.

I’ve never took notice to it. It’s not at prominent as it was in, say, Mass Effect. I’d like to see it gone though. I won’t cry foul if it’s in, but I’ve never been a fan of the effect.

> > No, it’s alright mate. It’s muy fault. I tend to take things the wrong way. But at the end of the day, we’ll just laugh at this and move on
> >
> > =]
>
> Of course we will!
>
> adds your name to The List
>
> P.S. You wouldn’t happen to be Australian, would you? Your use of the word “mate” has made me wonder.

haha, you picked up on that? yeah mate, I am =)

There should at least be a slider that allows you to adjust how much film grain you want.