Scorpion tank tactics

Everyone wants to be the guy rampaging in the big tank! Let’s make a thread about scorpion tank tactics.

First and foremost I want to recommend a tactical package and support upgrade. For a tactical package take wheelman. Wheelman allows you to shead some of the damage your tank will take and combined with the tank’s thick armor and how you are normally under fire continuously, you easily get the most out of wheelman.

For a support upgrade take sensor. This may confuse you but trust me. With a stronger radar you will be alerted to the presence of foes you otherwise would have missed, and can score more kills. Also being boarded is prehaps the greatest threat while in the tank, and if you can see enemies from further away with sensor the chances of you being surprised and boarded drop.

So now onto tactics in the tank. Most importantly never have your tank out in the open. People tend to do this and it is bad for a few reasons. First off enemies will spot you and avoid you before you can kill them. You won’t get as many kills. Also you leave yourself totally open to being blasted by rockets and spartan lasers, or sniped in the treads.

When in the tank you get a huge fish eye third person view. Use it to your advantage. Park the tank behind cover and survey the battlefield while hidden and protected. Come out and attack when you can get a clean shot at someone and move back to your spot. Be wary though as enemies will catch on, so after a handful of kills move to a new position.

Tips for gunners: I also recommend the sensor for the same reasons. Try to supplement the tank’s damage,
and shoot at the same targets. don’t go for different targets. The machine gun is best for mopping up enemies the main cannon could not quite kill before they escape.

That’s about all I got please feel free to add to the tank tactics.

Good tactics there, but the wheelman perk also decreases the time it takes to recover from an emp blast from a plasma pistol, possibly the tank’s biggest enemy. And remember, snipers are extremely dangerous, they can snipe you out of your driver’s seat with two shots when your tank is on full health. One shot takes of the cover of the tank and exposes the driver’s head, and the next shot kills the driver leaving a perfectly fine tank out in the open waiting to be taken by the enemy team, I’m not sure how common this happens but if you’re playing me and I get a sniper and you’re in a tank, watch out >:)

I’m no expert when it comes to using the Scorpion, I never play BTB. But I guess I would have to disagree with your tips and instead give alternatives while also adding extra tips that I think you missed out.

Now the reason I disagree with the tips you have given is because it is ultimately camping. The problem with camping is that while you do tend to die less, you get a quarter of the amount of kills because you are in one fixed position. Being in that one position, you are just as vulnerable as being out in the open with no where to run or back up too. Your strategy may work, but the amount of kills you could get using that strategy over 5 mins, I could get easily on foot. You could go 15-0 in the game and still lose because you were playing rather selfish (probably the wrong word to use) by sitting back instead of pushing forward with team mates to try gain map control ect.

I’m not saying my tips are perfect, I’m sure they’re far from it but I prefer to use a much more aggressive approach. This means being out in the open, but at a distance. Sensor I guess could work, but it really doesn’t matter. By playing aggressive your death is bound to happen unless you play really smart and have a good gunner, however you can get a Killing Frenzy in a couple of minuets. If you die, it’s not a big deal, a 10-1 trade off isn’t bad and will catapult your team into the lead. You can always get in the next tank and destroy again.

Timing the vehicles similar to weapons will also give you and your team a massive advantage.

One thing Sammy missed out is something that annoys me more than anything else in the game. If you get stunned with enemies running at you, don’t get out. Stay in and go down with the tank. The amount of times players have left their tank/mantis with the selfish hope of living (which they never do) just to give an in tact Scorpion to the enemy. It is selfish and stupid play. It’s Big Team Battle. Team being the key word.

> Now the reason I disagree with the tips you have given is because it is ultimately camping.

I agree, but with Halo 4’s cramped maps, you don’t really have a choice, do you? There are no wide, open maps like Avalanche, Blood Gulch, or Sidewinder. On maps like Exile or Outcast, camping is really the only viable option.

> The problem with camping is that while you do tend to die less, you get a quarter of the amount of kills because you are in one fixed position.
> …
> By playing aggressive your death is bound to happen unless you play really smart and have a good gunner, however you can get a Killing Frenzy in a couple of minuets. If you die, it’s not a big deal, a 10-1 trade off isn’t bad and will catapult your team into the lead.

I think it kinda depends on the gametype. In Slayer, the objective is to kill more than you die, so sure, playing aggressive is a good idea, especially because it allows you to support your teammates so they don’t die and give the other team points. But in non-Slayer gametypes, I think the tank is best used for defense, area denial, or distance support. Having a tank in Slayer isn’t really a big deal because the enemy can just avoid you, which forces you to come to them, making you a bit more vulnerable. In objective gametypes like CTF though, the enemy can’t avoid you, so they’re forced to deal with you.

> I’m no expert when it comes to using the Scorpion, I never play BTB. But I guess I would have to disagree with your tips and instead give alternatives while also adding extra tips that I think you missed out.
>
> Now the reason I disagree with the tips you have given is because it is ultimately camping. The problem with camping is that while you do tend to die less, you get a quarter of the amount of kills because you are in one fixed position. Being in that one position, you are just as vulnerable as being out in the open with no where to run or back up too. Your strategy may work, but the amount of kills you could get using that strategy over 5 mins, I could get easily on foot. You could go 15-0 in the game and still lose because you were playing rather selfish (probably the wrong word to use) by sitting back instead of pushing forward with team mates to try gain map control ect.
>
> I’m not saying my tips are perfect, I’m sure they’re far from it but I prefer to use a much more aggressive approach. This means being out in the open, but at a distance. Sensor I guess could work, but it really doesn’t matter. By playing aggressive your death is bound to happen unless you play really smart and have a good gunner, however you can get a Killing Frenzy in a couple of minuets. If you die, it’s not a big deal, a 10-1 trade off isn’t bad and will catapult your team into the lead. You can always get in the next tank and destroy again.
>
> Timing the vehicles similar to weapons will also give you and your team a massive advantage.
>
> One thing Sammy missed out is something that annoys me more than anything else in the game. If you get stunned with enemies running at you, don’t get out. Stay in and go down with the tank. The amount of times players have left their tank/mantis with the selfish hope of living (which they never do) just to give an in tact Scorpion to the enemy. It is selfish and stupid play. It’s Big Team Battle. Team being the key word.

I never said to camp, just be wise and cautious about your movements around the map, using cover and your third person view around corners and don’t go out in the
stark open if you can help it.

You will make the tank last much longer and will actually get more kills due to surprising people.

I find the most important thing to do when using a tank is to keep your distance. The range on the main turret is excellent and the splash damage makes it hard to miss.

Instead of using the machine gun turret it’s better for someone to be near the tank (But not standing on the tank!) with a BR or something to kill any PP guys. The number of times I have betrayed a teammate accidentally because he was standing in front of the turret is a lot more than you’d think.

If someone is running over to board you and you cant swing the cannon around in time to blast him, don’t panic just start driving AWAY from him. Start driving away then at the same time swing around the big gun to clean him up. Use the fact you can drive in one direction and aim in another.

A couple tips I’ve always used:

-If you notice a sniper just drive backwards. That way the can’t snipe you out.

-If you’re the passenger don’t be afraid to sacrifice yourself

-In tank-on-tank battles, aim for the turret since it can be blown off; and keep in mind that the scorpion’s missile has an arc to it.

I fancy myself as a bit of a scorpion expert.

Most of the tips are aimed towards beginners, as you guys who know how to handle one dont need to be told.

2X Perks, wheelman and survivor. I always go survivor as if something bad does happen, your not giving the enemy team free kills (i play BTB so objective games are different). Ill cover both games anyway.

Due to the maps you really want to ‘camp’ at your teams half of the map. By that i mean your spawn. 9 times out of 10 you head for the enemy’s side, they spawn right around you and you’re toast.

By camp i DO NOT mean sit still. Always keep moving. A moving target is alot harder to hit.

If you get plasma’d you have a choice. This choice should be made on the proximity and number of enemy’s. Either get out, melee and kill your opponent or wait and use the scorpion’s gun to take them out. TAKE NOTE! When PP’s the main gun will go back to center. Meaning if they are behind you, you will not turn around in time. If there is more than one coming from different directions, your awareness failed and you should not be in that position. However if you are take out the ones closest to where you are aiming first. That way you take out more, quicker and lower your chances of getting a free loader along for the ride… This may sound easy but tunnel vision prevents this some times. If you ‘notice’ the guy behind you first dont be set on him. Look around. THIS IS ONLY if numerous enemy’s are approaching at once. Normally your rear is the most vulnerable position. Try to minimise the time you actually have to turn the gun. Use both joysticks to really get that thing spinning if you have too. Another tactic when facing several at once, is use both sticks and turn your back away from the closest one. This is actually pretty advanced and you need to practice this but if you can keep your back away from the enemy, you will be pretty safe in this situation.

If someone happens to get on your back and your back is close to a wall, shoot the wall. It will kill the other player and damage you, ‘hopefully’ they didn’t have time to plant a nade and you can keep on truckin’

For objective games, you want to cover the objective at a safe distance with clear lines of sight around you. The objective is like a magnet, if you are hanging there your vehicle will become priority numero uno.

Try to avoid taking the low ground. You are limited how high you can aim and it is VERY easy to be jumped down on, and taken out.

Jetpackers are NOT YOUR FRIEND. Back up, wait till they land and fire just before they actually touch the ground. This way they are stuck in the direction they take and will be easy to preempt their movement direction. If you are skilled enough you can take them out in the air, but moving air targets are tricky and you need a really good connection. If you miss, chances are they will be close enough to take you out, as you will not have reloaded in time. It is 100% safer to wait for them to nearly land while you back up. Same with Banshee’s. Them along with jetpackers will be the tanks only undoing if you stick to these tips. Shoot in front of where the banshee will be, not actually at it, or you will miss all the time.

When im in a Banshee and i 1v1 a scorpion i always come out on top (Banshee is my favorite vehicle though so maybe its just the skill) UNLESS there is a gunner. This is when you want a team mate as a gunner, in Banshee maps. They are heaps more effective at moving land and air targets. They are also unprotected and a very easy target. You really need team work and mic with your gunner to be super effective. Also the gunner can keep firing when PP’d. So if you have a jetpacker infront of you PP midair your teammate can take him out nice and easily.

Splash damage. Just because someone ducks behind a rock or wall, doesnt’ mean you have missed them. The scorpions gun has very powerful splash damage. So a shot behind the rock or into the corridor, half of the time will land you a kill. Especially if they are already weak.

When coming up against another scorpion, be aware. Use cover to your advantage. Know where he is going to be before he gets there. If he is coming over a hill, take the low ground. You can shoot up they cannot shoot down.

Honestly the scorpion is one of the best power weapon/vehicles in the game PROVIDED you have awesome teamwork. Try to keep it alive as long as you can, be a bit safe and more cautious with it. DONT charge into the enemy spawn looking for multi-kills. You will get so many more, mopping up one or two here and there all game than you will getting a Killimanjaro, charging into their spawn. You are slow to move and reload times are even slower. Use your team to help you, the best thing you can do is have THEM actually protect YOU and then you will be an unstoppable force.

-Off topic- If you are in a Banshee, your job is ASSISTANCE for the scorpion.

Thats all i can think of right now, i might edit in some more tips later. I could do heaps more Banshee tips does anyone want them?

I use Operator and Survivor.

Keep hidden and use splash damage for when infantry are hiding behind rocks. Aim for the edge of the rock or the wall behind them. This works well for boarders - drive to a wall and shoot it - “Busted.”

When going against other Scorpions, I try and shoot them as they start to clear cover, and then back up while I reload. Then I go after them again. If I am patient, I can catch their leading edge twice before they can even get a shot on me.

Banshees - they have to line up for the shot, so back up and wait for them.

Objective - If the other team has the hill, and I have a shot, I’m going to take it. Sorry if you get betrayed, but you weren’t getting the job done and now it is empty.

I like how different strategy’s can be used and how different people play.

MZealous is obliviously an aggressive player with the scorpion. Everything he said will work for your team. Im very defensive, holing your teams half or map so your team can push forward. MZealous uses the tank to push. Hey sometimes i do too if i feel its needed or if im confident enough. I guess i geared my tactics towards more beginners like the OP said so they can feel like a boss… In saying that MZealous is right. If you get out when PP’d and the enemy kills you you have given them a fresh new tank. For me i dont have this problem as half the time they so focused on the scorpion i always get the first shot or melee before they realize ive gotten out. I would change and say if you are not confident to do this effectively STAY IN, wear the kill, its MUCH better for your team.

Call it tunnel vision but if something happens and i accidentally give the enemy team a vehicle i make it my job to take it out. Its only fair.

Its interesting to see, both strategy would work equally as well. I guess you just have to read the other team and how they play to decide the best approach.

I’ll try those if I can actually get a tank. I don’t think Ive ever been in a tank in H4.

> I’ll try those if I can actually get a tank. I don’t think Ive ever been in a tank in H4.

Yeah Longbow is the only map with the scorpion now. I always get the scorpion oir banshee, just run for it at the start… Plus its not on the CTF playlist. You have to play BTB…

343 stated they are doing a ‘heavies’ playlist soon. That should be good, alot more vehicle fun!