Scientists studying teamwork in Halo: Reach need your help!

The University of Colorado at Boulder is conducting a scientific study of Halo: Reach players on team dynamics within the game. The idea is to sort out, for instance, whether younger players are better lone wolves than older players, what impact playing on a real team makes on your overall in-game performance, etc. To do this, we need your help. Do it for Science. We are especially looking for serious gamers.

Here’s how it works: you answer some questions about yourself (demographics) and about the way you play Halo: Reach and which gamertags you play with on a simple web survey. The whole process takes about 10 minutes total. After that, if you care, we’ll show you how your Halo: Reach service record stacks up against the universe of 1,000,000 other Reach players. (This is similar, but much more general than the Halo Charts stuff.) If you’re interested, we’ll send you the results of the study when it’s completed.

Participate in the Study: https://www.cs.colorado.edu/haloreach/

Prof. Aaron Clauset
Department of Computer Science
University of Colorado at Boulder

More about the project: https://www.cs.colorado.edu/haloreach/about

p.s. This is a legit scientific study. We do ask you to create an account on the study website, but you’re free to create and use a throwaway email address (at yahoo, hotmail, gmail, whatever) specifically for this purpose. Also, please do not reuse a password from elsewhere. We’re not interested. You need a valid Xbox Live gamertag and you need to have played some Halo: Reach with it (preferably your primary Halo: Reach gamertag) because part of the web survey involves information derived from your game history.

I completed the survey. What answers are you exactly trying to get with this study? Is something like how much the Halo Reach community uses teamwork in general?

Edit: Nevermind. Silly me, it was mentioned on the project page.

Right. We’re most interested in quantifying the benefits of teamwork. For instance, how much better do people typically play (on some measure of “performance”) when they play with regular teammates vs. the random teammates they get through matchmaking. You could ask this question of professional sports, too, but the problem is that there we don’t get to see performance with random teammates, only the regular ones, so it’s difficult to actually quantify the benefits of teamwork. With Halo: Reach, however, we get to see not only both types of behavior, but they’re also massive amounts of observational data to sift through. This means that even very small effects can be likely be measured reliably.

There are other questions, too: do men and women play Halo differently? Can the outcome of a game (red wins or blue wins) be predicted based on the first few minutes of gameplay? (Beyond the obvious games.) How much of “skill” in Halo is simply a function of how many hours a person devotes to playing? How quickly do people lose their current skill level if they stop playing for some time? Can we develop a better algorithm for matchmaking that takes into account the synergistic effects of teams and the decay of skill? (The current MM system basically just looks at the skill of individual players and ignores these other effects.)

These are the kinds of things we’re interested in. And, to answer these and still other questions, we need your help.

Where may your glitch be with the commendation progress reside? It says mine is 0%.

Other than that, the current graphs shown don’t surprise me. I am curious to as to what would. Good luck and I hope to see a lot of the more mundane global stats released.

Just finished it. I couldn’t get a 100% accurate real-friend list completed because xbox.com wouldn’t let me load up friends list to verify who I thought was a friend, so I really only did the guys that I know for sure. Hope that doesn’t screw anything up. :frowning:

The 0% commendation is a bug with Bungie’s Stats API servers, not with our code. Basically, sometimes they don’t return that data. Refreshing your data, via the button on the web survey site, usually fixes the problem (meaning that Bungie’s servers return the correct information).

> Where may your glitch be with the commendation progress reside? It says mine is 0%.
>
> Other than that, the current graphs shown don’t surprise me. I am curious to as to what would. Good luck and I hope to see a lot of the more mundane global stats released.

That has to be the saddest thing i have heard in ages!!!

Cant guys like you just stop trying to find out pointless sad things and just play the game, who cares about younger or older players.

Sorry for you to hear but ITS JUST A GAME!!!

done! super interesting. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the correction :slight_smile:

> The 0% commendation is a bug with Bungie’s Stats API servers, not with our code. Basically, sometimes they don’t return that data. Refreshing your data, via the button on the web survey site, usually fixes the problem (meaning that Bungie’s servers return the correct information).
>
>
>
> > Where may your glitch be with the commendation progress reside? It says mine is 0%.
> >
> > Other than that, the current graphs shown don’t surprise me. I am curious to as to what would. Good luck and I hope to see a lot of the more mundane global stats released.

Fascinating, done!

> That has to be the saddest thing i have heard in ages!!!
>
> Cant guys like you just stop trying to find out pointless sad things and just play the game, who cares about younger or older players.
>
> Sorry for you to hear but ITS JUST A GAME!!!

That’s a psychological/sociological study that covers a wider area than just Halo Reach or even video games. Video games with matchmaking are just easier to test than real sports as in video games people actually have to play with random people from time to time.

At best it may prvovide some answers to how human mind works. You should open your eyes and see that it’s not just a test about how people play video games, it’s a test about how humans work together with random people and actually without seeing eachother. It may also give answers to how quickly your mind can learn and forget new skills.

It’s in no way sad, by any definition of the word. What is sad is how low-minded people can actually be to bash scientific experiements like this one.

> That has to be the saddest thing i have heard in ages!!!
>
> Cant guys like you just stop trying to find out pointless sad things and just play the game, who cares about younger or older players.
>
> Sorry for you to hear but ITS JUST A GAME!!!

Games are a great way to find out about how the human mind works. (Even though this appears to be an experiment by the CS department.)

The gaming world is to the real world as the Galapagos Islands are to the rest of the world.

> The gaming world is to the real world as the Galapagos Islands are to the rest of the world.

un-evolved and heavily visited by tourist?

That’s an interesting concept.

OP, if you’re trying to study teamwork, why don’t you try Halo 3? There is little to no teamwork in Reach, thanks to cR and AAs.

> > The gaming world is to the real world as the Galapagos Islands are to the rest of the world.
>
> un-evolved and heavily visited by tourist?
>
> That’s an interesting concept.

Death and life are so vibrant on the islands, adaptation to change is the only chance for survival. Becoming too familiar with non-change leads to disastrous results when currents shift direction.

> OP, if you’re trying to study teamwork, why don’t you try Halo 3? There is little to no teamwork in Reach, thanks to cR and AAs.

Because Halo 3’s population is practically dead at this point. He’d just be asking the Boosters, AFK’ers and a few guys that play but aren’t very good.

> > OP, if you’re trying to study teamwork, why don’t you try Halo 3? There is little to no teamwork in Reach, thanks to cR and AAs.
>
> Because Halo 3’s population is practically dead at this point. He’d just be asking the Boosters, AFK’ers and a few guys that play but aren’t very good.

Oh really? I’ve been playing Halo 3 for the past 2 months and there’s 30,000+ on there every single day. Only about 1/10 of the players are derankers/boosters, and most of the kids that still play it are as good as me or better.

> > > OP, if you’re trying to study teamwork, why don’t you try Halo 3? There is little to no teamwork in Reach, thanks to cR and AAs.
> >
> > Because Halo 3’s population is practically dead at this point. He’d just be asking the Boosters, AFK’ers and a few guys that play but aren’t very good.
>
> Oh really? I’ve been playing Halo 3 for the past 2 months and there’s 30,000+ on there every single day. Only about 1/10 of the players are derankers/boosters, and most of the kids that still play it are as good as me or better.

LOL - way to miss the point.

How much time left on your 1 month?

> > > OP, if you’re trying to study teamwork, why don’t you try Halo 3? There is little to no teamwork in Reach, thanks to cR and AAs.
> >
> > Because Halo 3’s population is practically dead at this point. He’d just be asking the Boosters, AFK’ers and a few guys that play but aren’t very good.
>
> Oh really? I’ve been playing Halo 3 for the past 2 months and there’s 30,000+ on there every single day. Only about 1/10 of the players are derankers/boosters, and most of the kids that still play it are as good as me or better.

I always get stuck with boosters, AFK’ers, and people that don’t seem to understand how to play on my team. I envy you.