"Scanned trailer" and legendary ending.

Does anyone else hate the fact that they showed master chiefs head in the scanned trailer? They even showed his face as a kid. And the legendary ending…

*** SPOILERS***

showed his nose, and cheeks…

why 343? bungie went almost ten years not giving a hint about his appearance, and you give it away that quick? I liked being able to menatally image Master chief in my head. Anyone else feel the same?

We now know for sure that the Chief is not a girl. I am ashamed that you would want to keep letting little kids have such dirty thoughts.

Showing his face is mostly a style thing.

With Bungie you didn’t travel WITH the Chief, you traveled AS the Chief. Giving Chief a specific face or race would get in the way of that. With them YOU are the Chief.

With 343i you travel WITH the Chief. He is his own man, we should sympathize and understand his feelings and thoughts, and it is now okay for him to have his own identity separate from the players.

thats obviosusy not what i was thinking. He couldve been black , white, mexican, asian, etc. his voice was hard to decipher.

Im kinda glad to see what master chief looks like. But really I dont care to much about it.

If you beat the campaign on legandary, you get to see a little something more of chief after the credits.

HINT HINT

> Showing his face is mostly a style thing.
>
> With Bungie you didn’t travel WITH the Chief, you traveled AS the Chief. Giving Chief a specific face or race would get in the way of that. With them YOU are the Chief.
>
> With 343i you travel WITH the Chief. He is his own man, we should sympathize and understand his feelings and thoughts, and it is now okay for him to have his own identity separate from the players.

Well said. Very Well said.

> We now know for sure that the Chief is not a girl. I am ashamed that you would want to keep letting little kids have such dirty thoughts.

We’ve always known that Master Chief is a caucasian male. He also has brown hair and brown eyes (possibly changed due to the SPARTAN alterations), and is in his young 40s (perhaps a bit younger due to Cryo and all).

Well, if you’ve read the books, that is.

It’s not so much as who is operating the game but deciding when it’s time to reveal him.

  1. It’s only a sneak peak, lasts a split second, and is only on the Legendary ending.

  2. Cortana and John discuss him being a ‘machine’ and this shows that he actually is human not just by telling you.

  3. Remember at the end of Halo where he takes off his helmet in the little stealth Pelican? Imagine if they would if shown you there! It’s all a tease!

It’s like marrying a woman who’s had a bag over her head since the day you met!

> thats obviosusy not what i was thinking. He couldve been black , white, mexican, asian, etc. his voice was hard to decipher.

didnt the books give you an idea of how he looks?

Not really. In one of the books it really goes into detail of how John looked as when he was young. he has a scar near his right eye. he has brown hair, blue eyes, and a small gap between his two front teeth. etc.

> thats obviosusy not what i was thinking. He couldve been black , white, mexican, asian, etc. his voice was hard to decipher.

Like I said, it is a style thing.

In Halo 4 Master Chief isn’t just a vessel for us to insert ourselves into the game - which is the way Bungie liked to write the Chief - he is his own squishy person underneath the armor.

When Master Chief is an individual instead of just a vessel for the player there is sort of a different set of rules and advantages.

In older Halo games it was more important for US to feel the impact of a story moment then Chief so you didn’t get a huge or long lasting reaction from the Master Chief about a lot of turns in the story. He just soldiers on forever and the emotion is left up to the player.

In 343i’s Halo you’ll likely have the Master Chief linger or express his thoughts about a lot more in regards to the events coming to pass. Bungie’s Master Chief would never have had to “NO, sir.” moment so many people love. Bungie’s Chief would have just left with Cortana since it is up to the player to think “No.” and not Chief.

I like the more expressive Master Chief. There is more you can do with that. We all know Master Chief is a bad -Yoink- considering his achievements, sure, but now it can be much more fun to watch him go.

> > We now know for sure that the Chief is not a girl. I am ashamed that you would want to keep letting little kids have such dirty thoughts.
>
> We’ve always known that Master Chief is a caucasian male. He also has brown hair and brown eyes (possibly changed due to the SPARTAN alterations), and is in his young 40s (perhaps a bit younger due to Cryo and all).
>
> Well, if you’ve read the books, that is.

Never doubt the abilities of Forum trolls. For out of the thousands on here and the B.net forums, there are a few damn good ones. Now we don’t need to deal with 50 pages of “you can’t prove MC is a dude. You haven’t seen that in game!”.

There are books depicting his appearance. In detail. Do you have a problem with that, too?

Thanks assassin for the helpful info. I can see your point now. I didn’t read the books, so i wouldn’t know how he looks until the Scanned trailer. Anyway, you actually made sense. Thanks.

The only reason Bungie never showed John’s face was because as has been mentioned, he was supposed to be a self-insert of the player. Even ODST and Reach had self-insert main characters. In the Halo books however John has a fleshed-out character and personality, since they don’t have to worry about keeping someone with a controller immersed with killing virtual aliens.

In Halo 4 John is his own man, while your particular Spartan-IV is a self-insert of you.

> The only reason Bungie never showed John’s face was because as has been mentioned, he was supposed to be a self-insert of the player. Even ODST and Reach had self-insert main characters. In the Halo books however John has a fleshed-out character and personality, since they don’t have to worry about keeping someone with a controller immersed with killing virtual aliens.
>
> In Halo 4 John is his own man, while your particular Spartan-IV is a self-insert of you.

See? This guy gets it.

Dude, scroll up to the second post. Said damn near the same thing. It is almost uncanny.