SBMM?

With the latest multiplayer reveal, the News section revealed a small tidbit of info including this:

[With new training options, bots to spar against, skill-based matchmaking, and improved systems that deliver better communication of key info to players during a match, we’re excited to welcome Spartans of all skill levels and help you battle your way to the top each season.]

I’m not that great in MP to begin with, SBMM and to play against higher level players based solely on one good match sucks to me. It’s the same reason I don’t play CoD MP anymore. The experience gets ruined for me personally when there’s no real incentive to get better at the game when it’s just going to keep pinning you against better players.

What are your thoughts though?

They said in the latest Inside Infinite article that it will use TrueSkill 2, which is what Halo 5 uses. Also, playing “higher level players based solely on one good match” is not really how it works.

I thought the idea of SBMM was to pin you against players of the SAME skill level - and only serve up better players when you start to excel.

Of course real-life populations are never that large and/or accessible. But still, the idea is to match the teams as closely as possible. Sometimes you will be up against a slightly better team… and others a slightly worse team.

Bottom line is that SBMM has to underpin every game. Obviously as tight as possible in Ranked… and a little looser in Social. The alternative of completely random is not good.

Yeah I saw that too. I get what you mean about how it works in CoD. That’s basically unplayable. Hopefully infinite will have something similar to MCC in regard to matching you up with other players.

I could’ve sworn that I read in either the article on this site or the one that Joseph Staten wrote on another site that there will be ranked and social playlists.

> 2533274813513633;5:
> I could’ve sworn that I read in either the article on this site or the one that Joseph Staten wrote on another site that there will be ranked and social playlists.

There is.

But Social doesn’t mean devoid of SBMM. A close game is a good game - and close games come from some form of SBMM.

What it needs is to separate your skill rating between the two modes… so that when you are ‘chilling’ in Social… you are matched against other players who ‘chill’ (or otherwise) at the same social skill level.

> 2585548714655118;6:
> > 2533274813513633;5:
> > I could’ve sworn that I read in either the article on this site or the one that Joseph Staten wrote on another site that there will be ranked and social playlists.
>
> There is.
>
> But Social doesn’t mean devoid of SBMM. A close game is a good game - and close games come from some form of SBMM.
>
> What it needs is to separate your skill rating between the two modes… so that when you are ‘chilling’ in Social… you are matched against other players who ‘chill’ (or otherwise) at the same skill level.

Oh ok I see what you all are saying now.

I prefer the simplicity.
Social: Best connection. Fast MM.
Ranked: 1-50 (or similar idea). If I’m a 10, give me 10-12, etc. Work your way up.

> 2535431933064458;2:
> They said in the latest Inside Infinite article that it will use TrueSkill 2, which is what Halo 5 uses. Also, playing “higher level players based solely on one good match” is not really how it works.

Thank goodness, I stopped playing CoD for the exact reason, it’s good to know that 343 won’t make the same mistake as Treyarch