SAW viable replacement for SMG?

I was watching some gameplay and saw the SAW come up and he started wrecking face. I thought to myself “Wow what an awesome weapon! But seems kind of familiar. Not really looks wise, but the way it handles” the it hit me, its just a humongous SMG. Without dual wielding, the SMG would not serve a very big purpose. It would basically just act like a human suppressor. Instead, they took the SMG mechanics (large magazine and high rate of fire) and basically said “Lets actually make it useful and buff it up to a power weapon” and thus, the SMG was born. Well at least that is how I see it anyways.

Some people may disagree and still want the SMG back, but I am happy with the SAW. If not the SAW, then I imagine the suppressor also acts very similarly to the SMG.
Only thing I really with they kept is was some sort of Beam weapon (Sentinel Beam, Focus Rifle, etc). I imagine they took those out due to lag and connection purposes, but I till wish they would have managed to replace it with some awesome Forerunner weapon. Focus rifle, despite its bad reputation, was badass.

So, what are your thoughts? Discuss! (Hooray for no Rank system debate?)

The Suppressor and SAW are fine replacements for the SMG, I think. And I was a person who really liked his SMG.

Nice way of thinking of it

Nothing will replace the SMG in my heart. :’(

… although I will be -Yoink!- the SAW like no tomorrow. :wink:

> The Suppressor and SAW are fine replacements for the SMG, I think. And I was a person who really liked his SMG.

I was also a big fan of the SMG. Dual welding one of those with a magnum pistol on halo 3 was an underrated combination of utter destruction.

Although I used to see it as somewhat of an icon due to Halo 2 cover and having the SMG basically replace the assault rifle in that game, but it really is not that big of a deal to me anymore I guess. Like I said, would have loved to see a Focus Rifle like gun return though. Halo 5 maybe? (along with UNSC Air Vehicle which they should have never gotten rid of)

Personally, I don’t think the SAW was ever a replacement, but then again, I haven’t played the game yet, and when I hear SAW and SMG, I think of their real life counter parts and their niches, IE: SAW = suppressing/cover fire support role. SMG = Close quarters combat for clearing rooms.

In video games, people use SAW type weapons and SMGs in the same niche, rather or not that’s what it’s meant for.

From what I have seen and played, the SAW isn’t an SMG. It boasts the power of 2 SMG’s IMO, and works as a power weapon, chewing through anyone foolish enough to get in its range.

> > The Suppressor and SAW are fine replacements for the SMG, I think. And I was a person who really liked his SMG.
>
> I was also a big fan of the SMG. Dual welding one of those with a magnum pistol on halo 3 was an underrated combination of utter destruction.
>
> Although I used to see it as somewhat of an icon due to Halo 2 cover and having the SMG basically replace the assault rifle in that game, but it really is not that big of a deal to me anymore I guess. Like I said, would have loved to see a Focus Rifle like gun return though. Halo 5 maybe? (along with UNSC Air Vehicle which they should have never gotten rid of)

I never dual wielded it. I thought dual wielding was dumb. The weapon just made a nice complement to the BR and Carbine as a secondary.

> Personally, I don’t think the SAW was ever a replacement, but then again, I haven’t played the game yet, and when I hear SAW and SMG, I think of their real life counter parts and their niches, IE: SAW = suppressing/cover fire support role. SMG = Close quarters combat for clearing rooms.
>
> In video games, people use SAW type weapons and SMGs in the same niche, rather or not that’s what it’s meant for.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think the SAW was based on a real life weapon. For all I know it could but, but I think SAW is just an acronym opposed to the M249SAW’s real life counterpart. (AT least I think you are referring to the M249).

SAW looks to be like a close quarters weapon with its large reticle and high damage. And unlike Battlefield 3, I don’t think that shooting beside an enemy will make their vision blurry (suppression) so I don’t think that gameplay element will be included in Halo 4.

> From what I have seen and played, the SAW isn’t an SMG. It boasts the power of 2 SMG’s IMO, and works as a power weapon, chewing through anyone foolish enough to get in its range.

Like I said, I think they included mechanics from the SMG, but also turned it into a power weapon. I like how you compared it to 2 SMG’s though, maybe that was intentional to give the player a dual wielded SMG feel? Not sure, but I am welcoming this change.

> From what I have seen and played, the SAW isn’t an SMG. It boasts the power of 2 SMG’s IMO, and works as a power weapon, chewing through anyone foolish enough to get in its range.

Thinking the same thing. Judging from gameplay videos it looks to be quite a formidable weapon in CQC.

> > Personally, I don’t think the SAW was ever a replacement, but then again, I haven’t played the game yet, and when I hear SAW and SMG, I think of their real life counter parts and their niches, IE: SAW = suppressing/cover fire support role. SMG = Close quarters combat for clearing rooms.
> >
> > In video games, people use SAW type weapons and SMGs in the same niche, rather or not that’s what it’s meant for.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think the SAW was based on a real life weapon. For all I know it could but, but I think SAW is just an acronym opposed to the M249SAW’s real life counterpart. (AT least I think you are referring to the M249).

Yes, that’s the SAW I’m referring too, and no, I do believe it was based off of the real life weapon, why would you design a belt fed weapon like the SAW for close quarters work?
Do you know how close quarters combat works? It’s a lot of moving your weapon up and down, short light weapons are best suited for close quarters cause they’re light, you can bring them up, aim, and then lower your weapon quickly to let a friendly slip past you, and then get the weapon back up quickly, they’re short so you don’t need a whole lot of space to move your weapon around. The SAW looks to be a little longer, and heavier than the AR, which again leads me to believe that the SAW is not a close quarters weapon.

> > > Personally, I don’t think the SAW was ever a replacement, but then again, I haven’t played the game yet, and when I hear SAW and SMG, I think of their real life counter parts and their niches, IE: SAW = suppressing/cover fire support role. SMG = Close quarters combat for clearing rooms.
> > >
> > > In video games, people use SAW type weapons and SMGs in the same niche, rather or not that’s what it’s meant for.
> >
> > Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think the SAW was based on a real life weapon. For all I know it could but, but I think SAW is just an acronym opposed to the M249SAW’s real life counterpart. (AT least I think you are referring to the M249).
>
> Yes, that’s the SAW I’m referring too, and no, I do believe it was based off of the real life weapon, why would you design a belt fed weapon like the SAW for close quarters work?
> Do you know how close quarters combat works? It’s a lot of moving your weapon up and down, short light weapons are best suited for close quarters cause they’re light, you can bring them up, aim, and then lower your weapon quickly to let a friendly slip past you, and then get the weapon back up quickly, they’re short so you don’t need a whole lot of space to move your weapon around. The SAW looks to be a little longer, and heavier than the AR, which again leads me to believe that the SAW is not a close quarters weapon.

Keep in mind im not referring to its actual qualities as much as I am in game. Like I said before, the larger reticle and high damage combined with such high rate of fire lead me to believe it will be most effective at close quarters for balancing issues. If it was as accurate as a precision weapon with that much power than I feel that would just be way too much overkill, at least if you ask me. Yes, it a power weapon, but even power weapons must be balanced too. It might be more accurate than the AR, but I doubt by much.

> > The Suppressor and SAW are fine replacements for the SMG, I think. And I was a person who really liked his SMG.
>
> I was also a big fan of the SMG. Dual welding one of those with a magnum pistol on halo 3 was an underrated combination of utter destruction.
>
> Although I used to see it as somewhat of an icon due to Halo 2 cover and having the SMG basically replace the assault rifle in that game, but it really is not that big of a deal to me anymore I guess. Like I said, would have loved to see a Focus Rifle like gun return though. Halo 5 maybe? (along with UNSC Air Vehicle which they should have never gotten rid of)

Maybe a Sparrowhawk as the air vehicle, the return of the SMG (possibly as a full-auto secondary weapon), and I’d prefer the sentinel beam over the focus rifle. We have a Covy sniper already.

Dual Wielding could easily have been emplimented. Just ook no further than the Flagnum and the Mantis controls. That said, Full-Auto weapons look finally balanced with the rest of the sandbox (only took 10 years). I dont see a real need for Dual-Weilding now, but I dont see a viable reason to remove it and make fans unhappy either.

The Suppressor looks more like the new SMG to me. The SAW is like Halo CE’s AR.

The SMG never did the job the SAW can do, and twin SMGs can barely do what a SAW does.
The Suppressor is the SMG “replacement”, and it does the job better than any human SMG before it (gameplay wise).