Saving Matchmaking: The Honor System

We’ve all been playing Halo for a long time, and ever since H2 brought MM into the mainstream and all of the problems associated we’ve always seen Halo games come out that try and tackle those issues. Quitters, AFKs, TKs, glitchers, boosters, standbyers. They all make our gaming experiences miserable and as a result Bungie (and now 343i) are tasked with trying to counter these griefers. Banhammers, removal of the skill level, arena. But what next?

I honestly think they should have a ranking system (1-50) like H2 or H3, and if the credit system returns then that is simply for buying stuff. I think removing skill levels from Reach was a mistake, though I can understand why Bungie felt that was the solution. The problem with skill level/ranking is that people cheat/boost for it, so it would be combined with an honor system.

Honor system would be simple. You’d have an additional descriptor or prefix to your military rank. So for instance; lvl 50 Heroic General, lvl 45 Guilty Brigadier, lvl 20 Useless Corporal and so on. The military rank being reflective of your main 1-50 level combined with experience and the prefix reflecting your honor level. Having a higher honor level would allow you access to certain armors, and perhaps even certain playlists. I for one would love a playlist where I know everyone else will play fairly and seriously.

Honor levels could be taken from a variety of types of data. Betrayals, quits, saving teammates, AFKs, warnings, bans and anything else related. If you play fairly your honor level will go up, you start griefing or anything like that then it goes down.

That way you would be genuinely awarded or for not playing like a jerk.

sound like a good idea

love this idea, 343 take notes

if only there was a way to tell when someone is purposfully quiting games or simply gets kicked off live

I was thinking about that. The answer is; there is no way. But a person who quits 5 out of 10 games, for whatever reason, is not contributing positively. They might be quitting because they dont like the map, or because their internet connection is terrible, or whatever but the reason doesn’t really matter. Players would have to take responsibility for their actions, and understand that there are consequences.

On the other hand if a player quit a bunch of times because of a fair or unfair reason their honor rating would suffer, but they would be able to turn that around in the future. Their honor rating would return back to normal or increase to a positive rating.

I suppose a system would always have loopholes and flaws, but several overlapping systems (such as skill and honor) would help cover those gaps.

I imagine people would want to boost honour rank as well.

I don’t know, it just seems kind of pointless to me. The only function rank should serve is to determine who you play against (a player with a 50 in one playlist will match other 50s).

If Halo 2 or 3’s ranking system returned with better rule enforcement, I think it would be really great, despite not being exactly creative. It could be 343’s 1-100 BPR, but function the same as 1-50 (100% W/L).

> I was thinking about that. The answer is; there is no way. But a person who quits 5 out of 10 games, for whatever reason, is not contributing positively. They might be quitting because they dont like the map, or because their internet connection is terrible, or whatever but the reason doesn’t really matter. Players would have to take responsibility for their actions, and understand that there are consequences.
>
> On the other hand if a player quit a bunch of times because of a fair or unfair reason their honor rating would suffer, but they would be able to turn that around in the future. Their honor rating would return back to normal or increase to a positive rating.
>
> I suppose a system would always have loopholes and flaws, but several overlapping systems (such as skill and honor) would help cover those gaps.

wait so if they lag out how is that their responisbility? idl this idea at all you are blamign for somethign they dont have control over. i think a table graph system would lessen the quiting.

Also this souldnt like too much thinking. in a videogame like halo its suppose to something simple to understand and not take alot of thought to do unless the the person chooses to be a try hard.

I like your thinking!

Just as long as quitting when half of your teammates have already quit doesn’t affect your rating.

This is a real nice idea imo, and it could be a search option for ppl with similar/good honor, or no preference. It would help keep the nice players happy, and the players who don’t give a crap happy, everyone wins!

rank should be determined by you position on post match leaderboards

I think calling someone “Useless” is a bad idea.

Just imagine. Your a person that has always had bad lag problems and you get Halo 4 and after enough lagging out you get stamped useless and when you go to play custom game and MM and people see that and they start callingyou names and causing heavy trolling. I can see how this could become a huge problem like in Halo 3 being called a noob for having gold bars. I did enjoy kicking there -Yoink- though but i could never get out of level lock so i am stuck with gold bars in H3 and if you get stuck with Useless in H4 this would deter people from buying reach and alot to start selling the game for insulting them.

I understand what you’re saying but if H4 is going to be a consistently fun and reliable experience for us all then tough measures need to be made. If you always have lag problems and you’re playing Halo MM then there unfortunately would have to be repurcussions, maybe it means you should get your connection upgraded, stop downloading, fix your router etc.

If you keep lagging out all the time then why should everyone else have to suffer that? I know that sounds harsh but honestly why is that ok? If you lag out once in a while or even quit once in a while then thats fine, but if you lag out 8 games in a row… then surely there must be consequences for that?

The labels I used in my OP were simply for demonstration, they wouldn’t be as damning as “Useless” and if you really did get one of those negative honor labels then its really quite simple to get back to a neutral or positive title. Play the game properly.

There is no ‘‘HONOR’’

I support this, as long as the lowest honor level is called -Yoink!- :stuck_out_tongue:

I like.

> I think removing skill levels from Reach was a mistake, though I can understand why Bungie felt that was the solution. The problem with skill level/ranking is that people cheat/boost for it, so it would be combined with an honor system.

The problem with skill based leveling systems (Arena in Reach, 1-50 in H2 and H3) is that they effectively lock out vast majorities of the population from ever reaching the end of them.

Perhaps lvl 50 should actually be any value between 50 and (say) 55. You’d only ever see 50 appear as your level, but allowing the system a greater tolerance for the conditions of that a 50 is then that way more people could achieve 50.

In effect being a lvl 50 is not a numeric value at all, just a label, and it simply would mean “This guy is a high skilled player”.

An honor label wouldn’t actually impact the skill level whatsoever, or even your military rank, and would be solely for displaying your sporting conduct during MM.

> Perhaps lvl 50 should actually be any value between 50 and (say) 55. You’d only ever see 50 appear as your level, but allowing the system a greater tolerance for the conditions of that a 50 is then that way more people could achieve 50.
>
> In effect being a lvl 50 is not a numeric value at all, just a label, and it simply would mean “This guy is a high skilled player”.
>
> An honor label wouldn’t actually impact the skill level whatsoever, or even your military rank, and would be solely for displaying your sporting conduct during MM.

The thing I love about this idea, is that you don’t have to go +25 every game to have “Honor” You just have to look out for your team, and value the objective more than your K/D

This is actually a pretty good idea.

I’m just sick of playing team games and watching teammates drop out, thinking “Ok we can lose one, we can still win”, then another drops out and thinking “We might hold on to a draw if we’re lucky” and then another. I don’t like quitting games but when half the team has gone and the other team is mercilessly camping the remnants of my team… why does it have to be that way?

I’d love the day when I can enter a playlist (be it normal or a special one) and know that everyone will play at least respectfully. They won’t grief, they won’t quit, and they won’t ruin my game.