Salty Halo fans.

With all of this controversy surrounding the anticipation of Halo Infinite, I can’t help but to feel dishoveled over the comments and bedlam uproaring on the forums and on youtube as well. With times, games need to evolve. We need to invite new players. Keep playing, try to stay positive and support the company that is now releasing halo content. Seriously. If people are so concerned and want to throw RIDICULOUS expectations out there, that can expect one thing and its that you will be let down. Its without a doubt that 343 is now going to re-gift halo 1 or 2.
I started playing in halo 2, religously. I was there for the standby, the circle boosting, watxhing the ogres smash people, and countless all nighters. It was amazing. Its in the past. If we want halo to survive and get good again, the one thing that is in OUR CONTROL, as players, content creators and competitors. Is that way can keep playing, keep grinding, keep it alive. Im sure the game will be awesome. Halo 5 in my opinion was sick, it had its shortcomings as does any game.
But, to place unrealistic expectations on a company like 343 to get everything right the first time is obnoxious with so much negative pressure from its forums. We should be asking, what xan we do to help? Just saying.

-End rant. Keep 5 shotting.

> 2535458827116654;1:
> With all of this controversy surrounding the anticipation of Halo Infinite, I can’t help but to feel dishoveled over the comments and bedlam uproaring on the forums and on youtube as well. With times, games need to evolve. We need to invite new players. Keep playing, try to stay positive and support the company that is now releasing halo content. Seriously. If people are so concerned and want to throw RIDICULOUS expectations out there, that can expect one thing and its that you will be let down. Its without a doubt that 343 is now going to re-gift halo 1 or 2.
> I started playing in halo 2, religously. I was there for the standby, the circle boosting, watxhing the ogres smash people, and countless all nighters. It was amazing. Its in the past. If we want halo to survive and get good again, the one thing that is in OUR CONTROL, as players, content creators and competitors. Is that way can keep playing, keep grinding, keep it alive. Im sure the game will be awesome. Halo 5 in my opinion was sick, it had its shortcomings as does any game.
> But, to place unrealistic expectations on a company like 343 to get everything right the first time is obnoxious with so much negative pressure from its forums. We should be asking, what xan we do to help? Just saying.
>
> -End rant. Keep 5 shotting.

I agree with not putting unrealistic expectations on developers , and I also agree we should be trying to figure out what’s wrong and what we can do to help. I haven’t noticed any particular uproar lately , (not a new one anyway) but I don’t exactly have my finger on the pulse of the community either.
Unfortunately , this isn’t 343’s first time as it has currently released 2 mainline titles , 1 Halo wars spin off , and 3 (maybe 2 , can’t remember , didn’t play them) top down twin stick shooters. They have yet to really stick the landing in a lot of community members eyes going by the current ongoing debates.
I myself , didn’t really care for the direction 343 chose to take the multiplayer after taking the reigns and I have a hard time forcing myself to play something I don’t enjoy.

> 2535458827116654;1:
> If we want halo to survive and get good again, the one thing that is in OUR CONTROL, as players, content creators and competitors. Is that way can keep playing, keep grinding, keep it alive.

As people expect and experience something negative, there will be negative feedback on it. Atleast from those passionate enough to do so.

Now, if the product / service / thing, they enjoyed, steered away from what they enjoy and continue to do so more nd more, what is in it for those who now dislike the current direction? Why would they need to support it?

> 2535458827116654;1:
> But, to place unrealistic expectations on a company like 343 to get everything right the first time is obnoxious with so much negative pressure from its forums.

I think we’re way past “first time” at this point.

I have seen big franchises rise & fall before & it’s more than common that there will be quite differing opinions about whether the franchise is going into a “good” direction or not, people have different tastes & experiences when it comes to gaming so mixed comments are pretty much a given.
And games do get their changes when gaming industry moves chronologically forward but it doesn’t necessarily mean that there is this single evolutionary way that all games need to take. If every franchise adopts the same aspects then what room is there for becoming “unique” or “standing out”?
This shouldn’t be mixed with “unrealistic expectations” as I obviously don’t mean that every new game needs to innovate some groundbreaking but games taking their own path reduces the problem of games released at the same time becoming this gray mass of similarity before moving onto the next big trend.
And as there are few of those ground breaking & innovative games that stand out from the common mass of trends, companies too shouldn’t expect similar popularity from everything they make.
And maybe some companies should check the mirror sometimes for there is a growing number of broken releases as an example in AAA games which requires huge patches at worst, when you turn your paying customers to beta testers then it’s one way to increase the negative comments.
So it’s not one sided black or white but rather a mix of things, sure there are uncalled negativity but not everything comes out of the blue. people see something they have cared about for years being turned to something they dislike.
people comment, in both good & bad, because they care. If they wouldn’t care they would just leave.
And surely every franchise needs more players, such is the way of business, but, p***ing on your core fanbase is not the only option as even the new people being born can like similar things as the ones who came before them did, hence why there still are ambitious carpenters proud of their life-choice as so many generations before them as an example.
And I don’t think forcing oneself to play a product they dislike or support a direction they don’t like is something that works in any way. That just reminds me of brand-blindness where people buy literally everything as long as the brand name is stamped on it without ever having a critical thought about it like they would with a new, rising product.

> 2535458827116654;1:
> With times, games need to evolve.

No. This is the main fallacy that killed Halo in the first place. With time, games need to iterate and perfect upon their core design and mechanics, not evolve and change those fundamentals.

Want proof?

Proof. An essentially 22 year old game topping the popularity charts because its developers understood that iteration on and perfection of mechanics and features is the key, not gameplay evolution. Contrast that with Halo, which has indeed “evolved” its fundamental gameplay mechanics and more or less died off completely as a result.

In contrast to the above, which pictures what perfecting mechanics over time looks like, this is what evolving and changing your gameplay fundamentals looks like. Ouch.

The comments above me are comprehensive in the criticisms most players have had. Halo will evolve simply due to the nature of gaming. The problem is that Halo used to be unique, something other companies copied. People liked (and some disliked) Halo for its unique gameplay, story, music, narrative, etc. When you played Halo 3 and COD4 (both great games; I am not insulting COD here), you could not draw any similarities other than them being FPS games. That has not been true in recent years. So, yes, Halo will evolve, but it should not copy/paste from other franchises. Keep in mind DOOM (2016) and now the upcoming DOOM Eternal are totally unique and are loved/worshiped for that quality.

Im glad people found knterest in what I had to say. I understand both sides to the arguement. I just wish more people were positive you know?

> 2535458827116654;7:
> Im glad people found knterest in what I had to say. I understand both sides to the arguement. I just wish more people were positive you know?

Hey man i appreciate you bringing this topic up. Its a heavy one but i believe 343 should go back to some of the old halo mechanics but i also don’t want this to be a full on original bungie halo game. I think 343 has the right to experiment and try new things, thats what bungie used to do in its halo games, 343 needs to improve on everything the halo games have and add some new experiment. The idea that 343 is going to cater to everyone’s ideal version of halo infinite is totally false, i believe they are now listening to us the fans more so they can incorporate our ideas and theories while still making new content and expanding the universe. 343 needs to be treated fairer. They did mess up with halo 5 in my opinion but i think they have shown signs that they are willing to change and make interesting and emotional stories in the halo universe. I have good hope that this next halo game will be the best halo games 343 has ever made. Its all really a balance that we the fans and critics have to follow comment on things that we don’t like and applaude things we think they do well, while not being very very toxic towards 343. We got to remember they didn’t have to patch MCC they didn’t have to port it to PC, they didn’t have to make halo insider a thing, they didn’t have to even make another halo game. They are so many hours and thought put into making this universe alive and possible and they took that challenge on, which is a huge undertaking. They have done some incredible stuff. We need to remember all the work that they have put in and provide constructive feedback and criticism instead of destructive on all of it. That’s my take on it

Preach!

> 2535458827116654;1:
> With all of this controversy surrounding the anticipation of Halo Infinite, I can’t help but to feel dishoveled over the comments and bedlam uproaring on the forums and on youtube as well. With times, games need to evolve. We need to invite new players. Keep playing, try to stay positive and support the company that is now releasing halo content. Seriously. If people are so concerned and want to throw RIDICULOUS expectations out there, that can expect one thing and its that you will be let down. Its without a doubt that 343 is now going to re-gift halo 1 or 2.
> I started playing in halo 2, religously. I was there for the standby, the circle boosting, watxhing the ogres smash people, and countless all nighters. It was amazing. Its in the past. If we want halo to survive and get good again, the one thing that is in OUR CONTROL, as players, content creators and competitors. Is that way can keep playing, keep grinding, keep it alive. Im sure the game will be awesome. Halo 5 in my opinion was sick, it had its shortcomings as does any game.
> But, to place unrealistic expectations on a company like 343 to get everything right the first time is obnoxious with so much negative pressure from its forums. We should be asking, what xan we do to help? Just saying.
>
> -End rant. Keep 5 shotting.

I think you misunderstand why the community does what it does.

Halo has been in decline for a while…meaning less new, older fans playing Halo games.
People criticism the game as much as they can with valid constructive points because they want the series to do well and at the same time they don’t want to play a series for the sake of playing it if they don’t enjoy the changes to game-play.
The word ‘evolve’ is generally annoying to me when I hear it because I have seen people use it try to dismiss bad games design.

I don’t think it’s as simple as grinding endless playing because we have to actually find ways to care about the series instead of just tolerating changes.
Look at Halo 5 for example…I hated that game, yet I spent countless hours getting to max rank, yet I would have preferred if they had made a good Halo game where I could have enjoyed and ranted less due to many countless reasons plus many of us aren’t just going to make content for H5 because many of us didn’t like the game or their version of forge.

Nobody is saying they have to get everything right but as a business they have to learn to respond to criticism and try to improve the experience. As a community most people are not always going to agree/disagree on everything the community says on what people think Halo should be but as a game designer myself it wouldn’t make sense to ignore feedback.

I see where you’re going here OP, but topics like this, no matter how well intentioned, don’t serve much in the way of discussion value. A lot of the time topics like these boil down to “complaining about other people complaining”, which really just adds to the noise.