Sales =/= A Better Game

According to the VGAcharts call of duty Blops 2 is beating Halo 4 in sales.

But the thing is, as long as Halo is just on the 360, cod always will beat Halo in sales. Call of Duty is a massive franchise with a very large casual fanbase.

But guys, lets not dwell on the fact halo has slightly less sales than cod. Halo has more preorders than most other xbox games combined. Halo is still one of the largest video game franchises of all time.

Halo 4 will have plenty of players, but it isn’t a contest and we shouldn’t get mad because cod is a game made for the casual gamer and getting as many people as possible.

CoD is mainstream/metro or whatever you wanna call it. Thats why it sells more, plus the fact it’s also multi-platform.

Halo will always be the better game.

Both games will do just fine, there’s no need to put them against each other. At the end of the day everyone will enjoy the decision they made.

> CoD is mainstream/metro or whatever you wanna call it. Thats why it sells more, plus the fact it’s also multi-platform.
>
> Halo will always be the better game.

Both games are fine.

I just noticed already people are mad because cod is beating our precious Halo. Halo will have more than enough players for everyone to enjoy online MM.

Fan base may be smaller, but our heart and passion is so much bigger. COD is just a generic shooter, HALO has character, story and soul.

Halo > COD. I don’t care what the trolls on these forums say

(I still play and like COD :p)

I have a thought as to what DOES make a better game. It’s not because of the sales, or the number of pre-orders, or how many platforms it’s available on. It’s the amount of players playing the game over a long period of time, and how often players will be coming back to Halo after it’s released.

That’s what I think makes a better game.

> I have a thought as to what DOES make a better game. It’s not because of the sales, or the number of pre-orders, or how many platforms it’s available on. It’s the amount of players playing the game over a long period of time, and how often players will be coming back to Halo after it’s released.
>
> That’s what I think makes a better game.

You have to understand that probably 90% of pretty much any games population is composed of casual gamers. After a month or 2 people move on to the next bug thing.

Sales wise you cant compare the two because blops is on all platforms. In terms of game and replay ability and overall great game, Halo will always win. I’ve played world at war, mw2 and blops 1, after mw2, the games went downhill. In terms of graphics, game play, campaign, it just got old fast

Caring whether or not your favorite franchise “wins” the sales race is entirely pointless. What matters is that your favorite is good. So long as that happens, people will buy it and a sequel will be generated.

I’d rather 343 pay the developers more and make the game balanced, precise, and fun than to spend bazillions on advertising to sell a few more copies and have it be crap.

Filthy casuals are the only reason CoD is popular…

sales? so where are people purchasing the game?

> sales? so where are people purchasing the game?

Usually at stores like Gamestop, Wal Mart, Target, or Toys R Us. Some people also purchase it on Amazon.com or other fine online retailers.

Granted, they won’t receive their purchase for a while, but the sales are there.

I never thought I will agree with you, but that just happened too.

Sales don’t affect the game, I don’t know why people care so much about that.

Well the only reason ppl care about the ammount of sales is for the sake of arguing which game is better between Halo and CoD. (Which is ridiculous for the fact that games that are ACTUALLY similar to CoD like Medal of Honor and Battlefield are just about all better than CoD)

But using sales amount as an argument is reasonable. (Except once you realize CoD is a multiplatform title)

X-ammount of Sales = High/Low popularity = % Of Success at making a good game.

However that formula dosen’t account for the theory of quality vs quantity; aka what makes a game/franchise better?

CoD is popular primarily because it is a generally much easier game, therefore newcomers, younger players (and just plain BKs if your will) are more encouraged to keep playing with little effort- yes there ARE game modes that are difficult if you are not accustom to CoD, but the fact is a 5 year old can do as well as the average player on a game of team deathmatch (I’ve seen it multiple times).

In the end what is “better” must be left to definition. To me a game that is fun, balanced, challenging, and can continually teach you different styles/strategies overtime is a good game. A good game franchise is defined by gamepley (aka the last sentence) as well as care/effort and general attention to detail and improvment.

This is Halo to me- a game that at it’s core is fun for BOTH casuals and the competitive encased in a shell that is being continually added to and improved as needed (for the most part).

> I never thought I will agree with you, but that just happened too.
>
> Sales don’t affect the game, I don’t know why people care so much about that.

Because sales do effect a games population.

Sales affect how popular the game is. Whether it’s extremely fun or not, if halo 4 doesn’t become popular and has a very low number of gamers playing (which I doubt) then it affects how fun the game will be over xbox live. I really didn’t have too much problems to pick at with Reach, but everyone else didn’t like playing therefore I didn’t like playing it.

It mattered when halo was in the lead but when black ops is it suddenly doesn’t matter? LOL

> It mattered when halo was in the lead but when black ops is it suddenly doesn’t matter? LOL

LOL! This.

I believe in the whole quantity vs. quality arguement.

Yes, Call of Duty is always going to beat Halo, but which game has a better story, multiplayer, community, creativity, and just overall gameplay? That’s right. Halo!

Personally, I don’t like Call of Duty very much. Try having one of your closest friends be a Call of Duty supporter while you’re a Halo supporter. Quite some tension there.

Sale’s shouldn’t even have that much of an effect on you anyways. If you like a series or game you’ll play it regardless. You look at a game for enjoyment and entertainment, not how much it sold.

The Avengers and Avatar made in the billions, doesn’t make it any less or more better than other movies out there.