Run and Gun Sprint

So let’s talk about the implementation of sprint in the Halo 5 beta. I’ve heard moving forward from the beta strafe speed is being increased and sprint is being dialled back a bit, which is definitely good I think. But I want to delve deeper.

Let’s talk about, say, the Sprint versus shield recharge mechanic. I personally don’t want such an ugly, clunky, counterintuitive mechanic in the game. Fleeing with sprint might be a problem yes, but I don’t think this is the solution. What is one of the biggest complaints about Sprint? People complaining about not being able to finish their own kills. Over reliance on team shot. Lack of individual empowerment. This does not solve anything, it’s not really doing anything longer shield recharge delays weren’t already. And I don’t like longer shield recharge delays, it compounds another issue with Sprint and long kill times, Trafficking. Sprint allows you to run faster towards the action, it allows you to back up teammates from a wider radius, save or avenge teammates. It increases how often you can win a 1 on 1 then get picked off when you are week. It creates a demand for faster recharge rates, Halo 2/ 3 recharge rates are appropriate for Halo 5 in my view. If the point of sprint is to make the game faster, having people hiding for prolonged periods waiting for there shields to recharge so they can re-join the action is counter productive. Then look at it from the perspective of an unaware casual being introduced to Halo 5, why the Hell does running effect health? It’s a bit weird and counterintuitive.

Then there’s ‘The Chase’. Another complaint about Sprint is the speed difference between attack versus defence. It is frustrating shooting, but moving slowly, whilst your would be victim speeds away, and there being nothing you can do about it. De-sprint is a solution, it only works during the acceleration period in the Halo 5 Beta, which is kinda a small window. But there are other solutions, instead of nerfing defence you could buff offence. Increase player’s abilities to chase. I’m talking about Run and Gun Sprint, Allow players to carry momentum out of sprint and fire their gun, without losing much if any speed. You could have so you have to lower your gun to accelerate but you keep your momentum when you shoot, or at least you decelerate slowly if you keep holding down forward. I personally wouldn’t have the reticle disappear either, maybe have it fade at most, so you can still line up shots. People complain sprint is overly defensive, well make it offensive.

Allow fast weapon draws coming out of sprint. I mean really ramp it up, make the animation as fast as looks natural, Spartans don’t fumble, and allow the gun to be fired before the animation is even complete. Does the risk vs reward dynamic of get caught sprinting = you die, really work well? It discourages running into the action, which is kinda the point of sprint and it doesn’t really promote any interesting counterplay tactics other than camping staring at doorways. I think Halo is all about not getting the first shot but still having a chance to win, weapon raise delays don’t fit well in my opinion.

Counterbalances: faster moving players maybe should be detectable on radar at a greater range and be a bit nosier than regular running. Slower turning look sensitivity or deceleration when you turn sharply. Momentum that makes it slow to reverse direction. Don’t think it needs much more than that. Maybe an acceleration pause- stopping power mechanic that bleeds over from even when you are not sprinting, don’t make sprint too fast…

This has been discussed to death. Why do MLG pros beat average players? BECAUSE they’re good at the game. People who know how to aim strafe, nade, etc will do better so I don’t care about sprint.

The only thing I think they should do is increase the “charge up” speed by a second or two, where it’s getting shot in the first 3 seconds of sprinting will take you out of it.

Drawing your gun faster just makes sprint more powerful. Besides, in Halo I barely sprint because, I feel, it puts me at a disadvantage in most scenarios.

> 2751082808091078;3:
> The only thing I think they should do is increase the “charge up” speed by a second or two, where it’s getting shot in the first 3 seconds of sprinting will take you out of it.
>
> Drawing your gun faster just makes sprint more powerful. Besides, in Halo I barely sprint because, I feel, it puts me at a disadvantage in most scenarios.

I am challenging whether or not the sprint balancing features implemented are actually good for the game.

> 2751082808091078;3:
> The only thing I think they should do is increase the “charge up” speed by a second or two, where it’s getting shot in the first 3 seconds of sprinting will take you out of it.
>
> Drawing your gun faster just makes sprint more powerful. Besides, in Halo I barely sprint because, I feel, it puts me at a disadvantage in most scenarios.

Yeah, I think sprint DOES put you at a disadvantage sometimes. It’s up to the PLAYERS to use TACTICS.

-Yoink- sprint.

Ruined my favourite franchise.

> 2533274797849057;4:
> > 2751082808091078;3:
> > The only thing I think they should do is increase the “charge up” speed by a second or two, where it’s getting shot in the first 3 seconds of sprinting will take you out of it.
> >
> > Drawing your gun faster just makes sprint more powerful. Besides, in Halo I barely sprint because, I feel, it puts me at a disadvantage in most scenarios.
>
>
> I am challenging whether or not the sprint balancing features implemented are actually good for the game.

Honestly, up until this point I’ve been indifferent to sprint, but to some degree I’m inclined to agree. I’m beginning to think sprint is just going to become pointless in Halo games eventually.

Look at it. You can get shot out of it during the beginning of sprinting. Your shields don’t recharge. “Reduce top sprint speed (narrow the delta between base movement and sprint)”. “Increase base speed (faster base movement)”

I think I’m starting to dislike sprint, only because of how unnecessary it is. The only thing it’s doing is helping you get around in BTB, making maps bigger, occasionally letting people get away, and occasionally allowing for some cheap melee kills. If you ask me, it’s largely pointless.

> 2535458654857735;6:
> -Yoink- sprint.
>
> Ruined my favourite franchise.

That’s honestly a pretty petty reason to dislike Halo.

I only used sprint to get to fights quicker. Which is what I liked in halo 5, using it in the fight was usually a bad idea.

> 2533274797849057;1:
> Then there’s ‘The Chase’. Another complaint about Sprint is the speed difference between attack versus defence. It is frustrating shooting, but moving slowly, whilst your would be victim speeds away, and there being nothing you can do about it. De-sprint is a solution, it only works during the acceleration period in the Halo 5 Beta, which is kinda a small window. But there are other solutions, instead of nerfing defence you could buff offence. Increase player’s abilities to chase. I’m talking about Run and Gun Sprint, Allow players to carry momentum out of sprint and fire their gun, without losing much if any speed. You could have so you have to lower your gun to accelerate but you keep your momentum when you shoot, or at least you decelerate slowly if you keep holding down forward. I personally wouldn’t have the reticle disappear either, maybe have it fade at most, so you can still line up shots. People complain sprint is overly defensive, well make it offensive.

I think I love you.

I loved the Beta. I think it played really well as it was. That being said, I actually really like this idea, OP. Great thinking. :slight_smile:

> 2751082808091078;7:
> > 2533274797849057;4:
> > > 2751082808091078;3:
> > > The only thing I think they should do is increase the “charge up” speed by a second or two, where it’s getting shot in the first 3 seconds of sprinting will take you out of it.
> > >
> > > Drawing your gun faster just makes sprint more powerful. Besides, in Halo I barely sprint because, I feel, it puts me at a disadvantage in most scenarios.
> >
> >
> >
> > I am challenging whether or not the sprint balancing features implemented are actually good for the game.
>
>
> Honestly, up until this point I’ve been indifferent to sprint, but to some degree I’m inclined to agree. I’m beginning to think sprint is just going to become pointless in Halo games eventually.
>
> Look at it. You can get shot out of it during the beginning of sprinting. Your shields don’t recharge. “Reduce top sprint speed (narrow the delta between base movement and sprint)”. “Increase base speed (faster base movement)”
>
> I think I’m starting to dislike sprint, only because of how unnecessary it is. The only thing it’s doing is helping you get around in BTB, making maps bigger, occasionally letting people get away, and occasionally allowing for some cheap melee kills. If you ask me, it’s largely pointless.

The Spartan Charge ability nerfs sprint melees, that’s why it was implemented, so it can’t happen anymore. Spartan Charge is pretty useless most of the time. Getting a sprint melee kill is actually very risky now and requires good timing. I myself never found any real use for it in the Beta.

> 2533274815147687;12:
> > 2751082808091078;7:
> > > 2533274797849057;4:
> > > > 2751082808091078;3:
> > > > The only thing I think they should do is increase the “charge up” speed by a second or two, where it’s getting shot in the first 3 seconds of sprinting will take you out of it.
> > > >
> > > > Drawing your gun faster just makes sprint more powerful. Besides, in Halo I barely sprint because, I feel, it puts me at a disadvantage in most scenarios.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I am challenging whether or not the sprint balancing features implemented are actually good for the game.
> >
> >
> >
> > Honestly, up until this point I’ve been indifferent to sprint, but to some degree I’m inclined to agree. I’m beginning to think sprint is just going to become pointless in Halo games eventually.
> >
> > Look at it. You can get shot out of it during the beginning of sprinting. Your shields don’t recharge. “Reduce top sprint speed (narrow the delta between base movement and sprint)”. “Increase base speed (faster base movement)”
> >
> > I think I’m starting to dislike sprint, only because of how unnecessary it is. The only thing it’s doing is helping you get around in BTB, making maps bigger, occasionally letting people get away, and occasionally allowing for some cheap melee kills. If you ask me, it’s largely pointless.
>
>
> The Spartan Charge ability nerfs sprint melees, that’s why it was implemented, so it can’t happen anymore. Spartan Charge is pretty useless most of the time. Getting a sprint melee kill is actually very risky now and requires good timing. I myself never found any real use for it in the Beta.

Yeah a nerf disguised as a special move. Interesting way to do it. Think I would have just went with a simple momentum based knock back effect and less lock on myself.

> 2535458654857735;6:
> -Yoink- sprint.
>
> Ruined my favourite franchise.

I feel ya man. Sprint killed my dog and neutered my family.

> 2751082808091078;8:
> > 2535458654857735;6:
> > -Yoink- sprint.
> >
> > Ruined my favourite franchise.
>
>
>
>
> That’s honestly a pretty petty reason to dislike Halo.

Yes, because implementing a Military-Shooter mechanic into what was once an Arena Shooter franchise makes perfect sense.

> 2533274806427910;15:
> > 2751082808091078;8:
> > > 2535458654857735;6:
> > > -Yoink- sprint.
> > >
> > > Ruined my favourite franchise.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > That’s honestly a pretty petty reason to dislike Halo.
>
>
> Yes, because implementing a Military-Shooter mechanic into what was once an Arena Shooter franchise makes perfect sense.

Except halo 5 still feels like an arena shooter.

> 2533274797849057;1:
> So let’s talk about the implementation of sprint in the Halo 5 beta. I’ve heard moving forward from the beta strafe speed is being increased and sprint is being dialled back a bit, which is definitely good I think. But I want to delve deeper.
>
> Let’s talk about, say, the Sprint versus shield recharge mechanic. I personally don’t want such an ugly, clunky, counterintuitive mechanic in the game. Fleeing with sprint might be a problem yes, but I don’t think this is the solution. What is one of the biggest complaints about Sprint? People complaining about not being able to finish their own kills. Over reliance on team shot. Lack of individual empowerment. This does not solve anything, it’s not really doing anything longer shield recharge delays weren’t already. And I don’t like longer shield recharge delays, it compounds another issue with Sprint and long kill times, Trafficking. Sprint allows you to run faster towards the action, it allows you to back up teammates from a wider radius, save or avenge teammates. It increases how often you can win a 1 on 1 then get picked off when you are week. It creates a demand for faster recharge rates, Halo 2/ 3 recharge rates are appropriate for Halo 5 in my view. Then look at it from the perspective of an unaware casual being introduced to Halo 5, why the Hell does running effect health? It’s a bit weird and counterintuitive.
>
> Then there’s ‘The Chase’. Another complaint about Sprint is the speed difference between attack versus defence. It is frustrating shooting, but moving slowly, whilst your would be victim speeds away, and there being nothing you can do about it. De-sprint is a solution, it only works during the acceleration period in the Halo 5 Beta, which is kinda a small window. But there are other solutions, instead of nerfing defence you could buff offence. Increase player’s abilities to chase. I’m talking about Run and Gun Sprint, Allow players to carry momentum out of sprint and fire their gun, without losing much if any speed. You could have so you have to lower your gun to accelerate but you keep your momentum when you shoot, or at least you decelerate slowly if you keep holding down forward. I personally wouldn’t have the reticle disappear either, maybe have it fade at most, so you can still line up shots. People complain sprint is overly defensive, well make it offensive.
>
> Allow fast weapon draws coming out of sprint. I mean really ramp it up, make the animation as fast as looks natural, Spartans don’t fumble, and allow the gun to be fired before the animation is even complete. Does the risk vs reward dynamic of get caught sprinting = you die, really work well? It discourages running into the action, which is kinda the point of sprint and it doesn’t really promote any interesting counterplay tactics other than camping staring at doorways. I think Halo is all about not getting the first shot but still having a chance to win, weapon raise delays don’t fit well in my opinion.
>
> Counterbalances: faster moving players maybe should be detectable on radar at a greater range and be a bit nosier than regular running. Slower turning look sensitivity or deceleration when you turn sharply. Momentum that makes it slow to reverse direction. Don’t think it needs much more than that. Maybe an acceleration pause- stopping power mechanic that bleeds over from even when you are not sprinting, don’t make sprint too fast…

While this is well thought out and could be good, truly this has been such a massive point of controversy for years, it needs to stop.

> 2533274887515153;17:
> > 2533274797849057;1:
> > So let’s talk about the implementation of sprint in the Halo 5 beta. I’ve heard moving forward from the beta strafe speed is being increased and sprint is being dialled back a bit, which is definitely good I think. But I want to delve deeper.
> >
> > Let’s talk about, say, the Sprint versus shield recharge mechanic. I personally don’t want such an ugly, clunky, counterintuitive mechanic in the game. Fleeing with sprint might be a problem yes, but I don’t think this is the solution. What is one of the biggest complaints about Sprint? People complaining about not being able to finish their own kills. Over reliance on team shot. Lack of individual empowerment. This does not solve anything, it’s not really doing anything longer shield recharge delays weren’t already. And I don’t like longer shield recharge delays, it compounds another issue with Sprint and long kill times, Trafficking. Sprint allows you to run faster towards the action, it allows you to back up teammates from a wider radius, save or avenge teammates. It increases how often you can win a 1 on 1 then get picked off when you are week. It creates a demand for faster recharge rates, Halo 2/ 3 recharge rates are appropriate for Halo 5 in my view. Then look at it from the perspective of an unaware casual being introduced to Halo 5, why the Hell does running effect health? It’s a bit weird and counterintuitive.
> >
> > Then there’s ‘The Chase’. Another complaint about Sprint is the speed difference between attack versus defence. It is frustrating shooting, but moving slowly, whilst your would be victim speeds away, and there being nothing you can do about it. De-sprint is a solution, it only works during the acceleration period in the Halo 5 Beta, which is kinda a small window. But there are other solutions, instead of nerfing defence you could buff offence. Increase player’s abilities to chase. I’m talking about Run and Gun Sprint, Allow players to carry momentum out of sprint and fire their gun, without losing much if any speed. You could have so you have to lower your gun to accelerate but you keep your momentum when you shoot, or at least you decelerate slowly if you keep holding down forward. I personally wouldn’t have the reticle disappear either, maybe have it fade at most, so you can still line up shots. People complain sprint is overly defensive, well make it offensive.
> >
> > Allow fast weapon draws coming out of sprint. I mean really ramp it up, make the animation as fast as looks natural, Spartans don’t fumble, and allow the gun to be fired before the animation is even complete. Does the risk vs reward dynamic of get caught sprinting = you die, really work well? It discourages running into the action, which is kinda the point of sprint and it doesn’t really promote any interesting counterplay tactics other than camping staring at doorways. I think Halo is all about not getting the first shot but still having a chance to win, weapon raise delays don’t fit well in my opinion.
> >
> > Counterbalances: faster moving players maybe should be detectable on radar at a greater range and be a bit nosier than regular running. Slower turning look sensitivity or deceleration when you turn sharply. Momentum that makes it slow to reverse direction. Don’t think it needs much more than that. Maybe an acceleration pause- stopping power mechanic that bleeds over from even when you are not sprinting, don’t make sprint too fast…
>
>
> While this is well thought out and could be good, truly this has been such a massive point of controversy for years, it needs to stop.

But this is a really good idea, it’s a more logical and interesting way to balance sprint in Halo.

> 2533274857398125;16:
> > 2533274806427910;15:
> > > 2751082808091078;8:
> > > > 2535458654857735;6:
> > > > -Yoink- sprint.
> > > >
> > > > Ruined my favourite franchise.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > That’s honestly a pretty petty reason to dislike Halo.
> >
> >
> >
> > Yes, because implementing a Military-Shooter mechanic into what was once an Arena Shooter franchise makes perfect sense.
>
>
> Except halo 5 still feels like an arena shooter.

So adding Smart Scope and having enlarged maps where you need to Sprint to particpate in the action faster makes it feel like an “arena shooter”?

> 2533274806427910;19:
> > 2533274857398125;16:
> > > 2533274806427910;15:
> > > > 2751082808091078;8:
> > > > > 2535458654857735;6:
> > > > > -Yoink- sprint.
> > > > >
> > > > > Ruined my favourite franchise.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > That’s honestly a pretty petty reason to dislike Halo.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Yes, because implementing a Military-Shooter mechanic into what was once an Arena Shooter franchise makes perfect sense.
> >
> >
> >
> > Except halo 5 still feels like an arena shooter.
>
>
> So adding Smart Scope and having enlarged maps where you need to Sprint to particpate in the action faster makes it feel like an “arena shooter”?

The smart scope feels just like old zoom and the sprint just let me get to fights faster. So yes. Plus I get into more combat in 5 than in 3 or 2.