Roland (Campaign Spoilers)

Seriously spoilers ahead. Don’t look if you haven’t played the campaign!

At the end of the Halo 5 campaign, Cortana demonstrates that thousands of AI have turned their allegiance to her, including many UNSC shipboard AI. Roland for now does not seem to be among them, but earlier in the campaign he seemed to be a bit defiant. Can we trust Roland and why or why not? Could he be working against the UNSC in secret? After all, Cortana has cured rampancy, and I don’t know how any AI can pass that up.

Cortona mentions not being able to find the ship so she never had a chance to persuade him. Who knows what he might choose.

<mark>Do not post discriminatory comments.</mark>

Well what ever happends, he better not -Yoink!- out for Cortana.

I don’t think he will defect. His little act of defiance earlier was just to figure out what was going on. After all AIs are driven by knowledge so their curiosity far exceeds our own.

His little outburst near the beginning may show that he may be a little spiteful of Cortana, actually! I don’t know if he’d go with her. I’d trust him, for no real reason except that I like his moxie!

I doubt he will, remember that Sloan is nine years old and Cortana is eight years old. They want immortality. Seven years is very short and some AI want more than that before they start to go beserk. Roland? He entered service after the events of Halo 4 so he’s only a year old. He doesn’t understand the want for more than seven years given he had another six before rampancy. Plus, he was able to mask Infinity’s location from Cortana, somehow. It’s clear he’s one of few AI siding with humanity.

Maybe he will be some 007 AI spy and stop Cortana.

I would hate this though. I want Cortana to win.

Besides assuming everything is hunky dory and cortana gets dealt with the domain will still exist and AIs could be hooked up to cure rampancy. Idk enough about the lore to know if rampancy is an incurable glitch or a killswitch used by humanity to prevent AIs from getting too much influence if its the first then roland could still be immortal while fighting for humans. Assuming that humans wouldnt makena kneejerk reaction and purge every AI after most of them tried to take over the galaxy and killed thousands is not millions of humans.

> 2533274841485259;8:
> Besides assuming everything is hunky dory and cortana gets dealt with the domain will still exist and AIs could be hooked up to cure rampancy. Idk enough about the lore to know if rampancy is an incurable glitch or a killswitch used by humanity to prevent AIs from getting too much influence if its the first then roland could still be immortal while fighting for humans. Assuming that humans wouldnt makena kneejerk reaction and purge every AI after most of them tried to take over the galaxy and killed thousands is not millions of humans.

Rampancy is more of a glitch than a kill switch in that smart AIs such as Cortana and Roland accumulate so much knowledge that as Cortana once put it, they think themselves to death.

> 2533274807666077;2:
> Cortona mentions not being able to find the ship so she never had a chance to persuade him. Who knows what he might choose.

She wasn’t able to find the ship at first, but it didn’t seem to take her too long…

I think it has to do with Cortana’s offering resonating more with AIs close to or experiencing rampancy. Their reasoning capabilities would be compromised and they’d see Cortana’s offer as a ticket to “salvation”. Personally, I think she was specifically targeting such AIs and that gives her plans a sinister undercurrent. It’s obvious the Domain didn’t fix her since she is still very much rampant, so she’s selling them a bunk deal. I don’t think it has anything to do with not being able to find Infinity, she was able to spread across UNSC space in seconds.