Robot Entertainment Talks halo mmo and halo wars

Why was the Halo MMO you’d Ensemble had been working on for Microsoft cancelled?

Too big, too expensive. There was obviously a lot of turmoil within Microsoft at that time, it wasn’t long after that when Bungie spun itself out of Microsoft and what was going to become of the Halo universe within Microsoft was unknown. It was a big production, it would have been a pretty expensive bet. Microsoft was going a different direction.

Halo Wars was released. It got great reviews. Real-time strategy fans felt that it was the best translation of that genre to the console space. But it wasn’t that long after it released that Microsoft dissolved Ensemble. How did that go down?

It was a big shock and surprise. When it finally came to be, we hadn’t seen it coming. In fact, we had been planning to grow the studio at that point. We found out probably six months before Halo Wars was finished that Ensemble wasn’t going to exist after we finished Halo Wars. Obviously, it’s tough to finish a game that ambitious with the knowledge that your studio isn’t going to be there at the end.

Nothing really big at all, just if anyone wanted to see.

Interesting. I doubt I would have enjoyed a Halo MMO, but it would have been nice to see regardless

Unfortunate, I’d would have loved more Halo Wars games… I feel the second game in every RTS series is always the best.

As a player of MMOs I would have loved a Halo MMO!

Oh well. I guess something far out from Traditional Halo just wasn’t the way to go.

> As a player of MMOs I would have loved a Halo MMO!
>
> Oh well. I guess something far out from Traditional Halo just wasn’t the way to go.

Not sure how a Halo MMO would have worked out. I don’t think it would have been to successful. Don’t get me wrong I’ve played my far share of MMOs starting with WoW then Rift, Old Republic, And I’ll be all over Diablo 3. So I have no disdained for the MMO, just don’t think a Halo one would have worked out since we can’t all be chief and can’t all have Cortana to ourselves :confused:

A Halo MMO would been all about jumping on the band wagon for where games were going at the time. It just wouldn’t have worked out.

And regardless of what you thought of Halo Wars, Ensemble was a great studio, I very much enjoyed their titles, and was looking forward to playing more of them.