Roads Untraveled (for Halo)

Yes, it’s a Linkin Park reference. Very good song too I might add. I was listening to it today in my car and I was thinking what roads hasn’t Halo traveled down yet? What path hasn’t Halo gone down to revive it’s uniqueness?

My opinion?

Take a look at Battlefield 3, at their Frostbite 2 engine. Take a look at their destructive environments. I’m not saying Halo has any but still, what could it advance on that aspect. Take a look at their wide scale BTB maps and the chaos they bring. Take a look at the scale of their 4v4 maps. You want to tie cannon into mutliplayer 343, look deeper into the Spartans, look deeper into the military skills they have because they are capable of a lot more then they can do in-game.

Battlefield 3 has large scale BTB maps. What wouldn’t it be like to bring that into Halo’s light? Banshees scurrying about, Broadswords flying overhead. The Assault Pelican from Halo 4 ferrying players from base to base taking down Banshees as they pass by. If BF3 can support an AC-130 on a large scale map, I know it’s possible for Halo. Warthogs drivng across hills barraging enemy tanks on the way.

Go deeper with the Assassinations. What would it be to go up behind someone in camo and ram the Combat Knife into their neck then just throwing them aside or thrust the Sword into someones back and then slam their dying body into a wall. Go deeper with Forge, every object that can be in a Halo level, create it. Hell if there needs to be a third disc to install Forge and a second discd to install mutiplayer, go for it!! A whole bunch of opportunity is open to Forge. I dare you to go to DICE and say “heres the Halo 4 engine, whip up something and demo it”.

Halo is an epic franchise, I know it, some Halo fans know it. It has the potential to be greater. Halo 4 has the potential to be greater. Go down a road that has been untraveled for Halo and see what you come up with. I challenge people on here to do it too and see what potential this franchise has, but hasn’t touched. Battlefield 3 doesn’t even have to be the game that is visualized. Theres a lot more franchises out there that Halo can learn from.

Fans want to enjoy Halo, we want to enjoy Halo 4 for the great experience that Halo has been since the original trilogy. That’s not too much to ask yet here Halo 4 is, being stomped on by the fans that were hoping Halo 4 to be the Halo they wanted to exeprience.

Does anyone besides myself share this?

We want to enjoy Halo but the way to enjoy Halo is definitely NOT going huge BTB gameplay. Halo is arena shooter, heavily competitive and skill based. 343 seems to have forgotten that

1. We would have all this stuff like destructible environments if Halo had simply stayed true to its CE, 2, and 3 roots rather than trying to change to become like Crysis and COD in Reach and 4. The graphics in Halo would be much more incredible, and the other things in the game, such as destructible environments, would be that much more in depth.

2. Assassinations should not even be in the game. Better melee animations needed to be worked on instead. Assassinations take too long. They could be done in the campaign I guess, but should not be in multiplayer.

3. Forge was downgraded from Reach to 4. Things such as object game type labelling, precision movement, and zoom were removed. The objects are also overly textured, some have holes in them, most have rounded edges, and most don’t line up with each other well.

This downgrade/ lack of improvement was ordered by Microsoft, because they said they an improved forge would threaten to lower DLC map sales by allowing forgers to simply create copies of upcoming DLC maps, and then players would download those for free instead of buying DLC maps.

You will never see a map maker or dramatically powerful forge in Halo, unless competing games FORCE this into Halo somehow.

I was just listening to that song…

> 1. We would have all this stuff like destructible environments if Halo had simply stayed true to its CE, 2, and 3 roots rather than trying to change to become like Crysis and COD in Reach and 4. The graphics in Halo would be much more incredible, and the other things in the game, such as destructible environments, would be that much more in depth.

That’s what I’m saying. That’s what everyones been saying. the team at 343 excluding the community mods and heads come on this forum because the team themselves is afraid too. This is what everyone keeps pressing into 343 but nothing will get done which is my exact reason for this thread. Halo 4 has great potential, this new trilogy itself does.

> 2. Assassinations should not even be in the game. Better melee animations needed to be worked on instead. Assassinations take too long. They could be done in the campaign I guess, but should not be in multiplayer.

Spartans are capable of assasinations. It’s been in the books if I’m correct. Melee animations aren’t going to get any better then they have since Halo CE. Now if the melee animation consisted of slamming the butt of a BR into an enemy’s skull killing them, that would be nice, after you take their shield down of course.

> 3. Forge was downgraded from Reach to 4. Things such as object game type labelling, precision movement, and zoom were removed. The objects are also overly textured, some have holes in them, most have rounded edges, and most don’t line up with each other well.
>
>
> This downgrade/ lack of improvement was ordered by Microsoft, because they said they an improved forge would threaten to lower DLC map sales by allowing forgers to simply create copies of upcoming DLC maps, and then players would download those for free instead of buying DLC maps.
>
> You will never see a map maker or dramatically powerful forge in Halo, unless competing games FORCE this into Halo somehow.

Forge has much more potential then the state it’s bee in since Halo 3. Halo can have a more powerful Forge, just a strong enough Halo engine needs to be built to support it. But so what if Forgers created DLC maps? People were creating Halo 4 maps in Reach!! Forgers are creating classic maps now even!

Deleted

> Oh, I know!
>
> Step 1- Remove armour abilities.
>
> Step 2- Add Sprint, Camo, and a new ability that allows you to absorb damage, called Maximum Shield! These are all default abilities.
>
> Step 3- Remove all of that clunky armour on the Spartans, we don’t want them being slowed down now do we?
>
> Step 4- ???
>
> Step 5- Prophet

First…it’s Profit, not prophet. Second, I don’t mind AA’s. Everyone wanted them as pickable power ups which they should’ve been. Third, ummm what?

>

Deleted

> > 2. Assassinations should not even be in the game. Better melee animations needed to be worked on instead. Assassinations take too long. They could be done in the campaign I guess, but should not be in multiplayer.
>
> Spartans are capable of assasinations. It’s been in the books if I’m correct. Melee animations aren’t going to get any better then they have since Halo CE. Now if the melee animation consisted of slamming the butt of a BR into an enemy’s skull killing them, that would be nice, after you take their shield down of course.
>
> I’m talking about behind the back instant kill melee attacks. The animation could be something better like you said, like slamming a rifle into a head, or ripping a knife through a neck. It does not have to cut to an animation that takes forever, which we call assassinations in Halo right now. Those need to be removed because they mess up game play. CE, 2, and 3’s behind the back melee instant kill looked dumb, but worked better for game play, so it just needed a better animation than simply smacking the person.
>
>
>
> > 3. Forge was downgraded from Reach to 4. Things such as object game type labelling, precision movement, and zoom were removed. The objects are also overly textured, some have holes in them, most have rounded edges, and most don’t line up with each other well.
> >
> >
> > This downgrade/ lack of improvement was ordered by Microsoft, because they said they an improved forge would threaten to lower DLC map sales by allowing forgers to simply create copies of upcoming DLC maps, and then players would download those for free instead of buying DLC maps.
> >
> > You will never see a map maker or dramatically powerful forge in Halo, unless competing games FORCE this into Halo somehow.
>
> Forge has much more potential then the state it’s bee in since Halo 3. Halo can have a more powerful Forge, just a strong enough Halo engine needs to be built to support it. But so what if Forgers created DLC maps? People were creating Halo 4 maps in Reach!! Forgers are creating classic maps now even!

It definitely has more potential, I’m not disagreeing. Look at Far Cry 3. Halo 4 could have had a full map maker, but Microsoft isn’t going to allow that, and most likely not even allow forge to be dramatically improved.
Forgers making DLC quality maps would actually be good, but Microsoft and 343 can’t figure that out. They would have 0 development cost for DLC map packs because they technically own the content we create already I think, so they could sell maps submitted to them and just improve them a little if they needed it first.
Another possibility is selling a Halo 4 map making kit separate from the actual game for $60. Lots of people like me would buy it, and that would be more profitable than DLC map packs. Then they could just make new maps ALWAYS available to Halo players.
And yes, forgers do remakes all the time. I’m thinking about remaking Rat Race from CE to enter a map remake contest, but Halo 4’s downgraded forge and lack of fileshare has killed my desire to forge much at the moment. I’ll be buying Far Cry 3 soon because of that! Looking forward to it too.

> > > 2. Assassinations should not even be in the game. Better melee animations needed to be worked on instead. Assassinations take too long. They could be done in the campaign I guess, but should not be in multiplayer.
> >
> > Spartans are capable of assasinations. It’s been in the books if I’m correct. Melee animations aren’t going to get any better then they have since Halo CE. Now if the melee animation consisted of slamming the butt of a BR into an enemy’s skull killing them, that would be nice, after you take their shield down of course.
> >
> > I’m talking about behind the back instant kill melee attacks. The animation could be something better like you said, like slamming a rifle into a head, or ripping a knife through a neck. It does not have to cut to an animation that takes forever, which we call assassinations in Halo right now. Those need to be removed because they mess up game play. CE, 2, and 3’s behind the back melee instant kill looked dumb, but worked better for game play, so it just needed a better animation than simply smacking the person.
> >
> >
> >
> > > 3. Forge was downgraded from Reach to 4. Things such as object game type labelling, precision movement, and zoom were removed. The objects are also overly textured, some have holes in them, most have rounded edges, and most don’t line up with each other well.
> > >
> > >
> > > This downgrade/ lack of improvement was ordered by Microsoft, because they said they an improved forge would threaten to lower DLC map sales by allowing forgers to simply create copies of upcoming DLC maps, and then players would download those for free instead of buying DLC maps.
> > >
> > > You will never see a map maker or dramatically powerful forge in Halo, unless competing games FORCE this into Halo somehow.
> >
> > Forge has much more potential then the state it’s bee in since Halo 3. Halo can have a more powerful Forge, just a strong enough Halo engine needs to be built to support it. But so what if Forgers created DLC maps? People were creating Halo 4 maps in Reach!! Forgers are creating classic maps now even!
>
> It definitely has more potential, I’m not disagreeing. Look at Far Cry 3. Halo 4 could have had a full map maker, but Microsoft isn’t going to allow that, and most likely not even allow forge to be dramatically improved.
> Forgers making DLC quality maps would actually be good, but Microsoft and 343 can’t figure that out. They would have 0 development cost for DLC map packs because they technically own the content we create already I think, so they could sell maps submitted to them and just improve them a little if they needed it first.
> Another possibility is selling a Halo 4 map making kit separate from the actual game for $60. Lots of people like me would buy it, and that would be more profitable than DLC map packs. Then they could just make new maps ALWAYS available to Halo players.
> And yes, forgers do remakes all the time. I’m thinking about remaking Rat Race from CE to enter a map remake contest, but Halo 4’s downgraded forge and lack of fileshare has killed my desire to forge much at the moment. I’ll be buying Far Cry 3 soon because of that! Looking forward to it too.

You make some good points and if -Yoink!- wants their baby to survive another 10 years, they’ll make it happen. But it’s gonna take 343 stepping up and interacting on these forums and not being so fearful to do so. Microsoft is a billion dollar company, I’m sure 343 can ask for a few favors. Thatis if they choose to give players back the experience Halo has always been.

Halo Custom Edition allowed for custom made maps but people had to create them in 3DS Max and what not. I myself created a few. Like I said, this new trilogy as tons of new potential. 343 just needs to realize they can transform Bungies child into something great and do it.

Edit: Don’t ask how the quotes got broken