Riptide is awful

Not trying to put 343 down, but what on earth are they thinking about with Riptide?

343, do you realise how awful the gameplay is on that map? It’s basically just camp in blue room, or a rare alternative is to camp in the less protected orange. At least when there was a camo bottom mid people had to leave blue to get it, even if blue still was OP, gameplay varied.

The hydra in orange isnt enough to make people move towards orange.

Something, anything needs to change with that map, the gameplay is so stale.

This has been established since it came out. They tried putting it int team arena for a while and everyone even pros avoided that map.

> 2533274917717257;1:
> Not trying to put 343 down, but what on earth are they thinking about with Riptide?
>
> 343, do you realise how awful the gameplay is on that map? It’s basically just camp in blue room, or a rare alternative is to camp in the less protected orange. At least when there was an camp bottom mid people had to leave blue to get it, even if blue still was OP, gameplay varied.
>
> The hydra in orange isnt enough to make people move towards orange.
>
> Something, anything needs to change with that map, the gameplay is so stale.

Agreed. Not to mention the fact that people just camp the hallway with the beam rifle. It’s also really hard to get to the second level on the map because there aren’t many ways up.

Riptide is actually pretty great IMO… it has a lot of the same problems as other maps (over-segmentation and whatnot), but the key difference is that it has a clear power-position on map, i.e. Blue Room.

This, along with Beam Rifle at Top Sand, creates a great sense of flow where you’ll typically find one team defending the higher/Blue sections of the map, and the opposing team attacking their positions from a variety of paths. There are a lot of movement options and nice sight-lines and nade points to flush out/suppress enemies. All these different options make the Blue set-up fairly easy to break, and it’s just a fun “teeter-totter” dynamic.

Really interesting map with fun encounters, if you ask me…

I feel like you should find a new game to play because all you do is complain.

> 2533274805919869;2:
> This has been established since it came out. They tried putting it int team arena for a while and everyone even pros avoided that map.

I’m not surprised tbh , I’m sure people have had a whine about it too, I’m just venting!

> 2533274827113670;5:
> I feel like you should find a new game to play because all you do is complain.

Loool you mean I come to waypoint about every 3-4 months when I have something I’d like to say to 343? Like when I forge a map for two weeks and it glitches out and my time is wasted? I let them know but I still spent another week or two and forged a brand new map that I’m pretty f*ckin proud of. Or when I ranked really well and 343 reset it and erased my hard work - but I still got back on the grind and got well over onyx 1800 for the first time?

I love halo but every now and then it’s really annoying.

> 2533274873580796;4:
> Riptide is actually pretty great IMO… it has a lot of the same problems as other maps (over-segmentation and whatnot), but the key difference is that it has a clear power-position on map, i.e. Blue Room.
>
> This, along with Beam Rifle at Top Sand, creates a great sense of flow where you’ll typically find one team defending the higher/Blue sections of the map, and the opposing team attacking their positions from a variety of paths. There are a lot of movement options and nice sight-lines and nade points to flush out/suppress enemies. All these different options make the Blue set-up fairly easy to break, and it’s just a fun “teeter-totter” dynamic.
>
> Really interesting map with fun encounters, if you ask me…

Fair enough, you put a good argument forward and I can’t argue with you if you like it.

Personally I wouldn’t say it flows well. To me maps like Coliseum and The Rig flow well, because very few areas feel protected enough to camp in to the extent that you can camp in blue on Riptide. This makes you feel like you have to move around the map.

Similarly having that camo in bottom mid on Riptide encouraged movement out of blue. Also once you have a power up like camo, you want to move around the map and take advantage of that limited time while invisible. I liked it when they put that camo in. It was a bit like when Torque got switched around and it played much better. Then they switched Riptide back.

Also I’m quite surprised they’d leave Riptide in when they removed/edited Pegusus because red was too OP.

As you say though, as with a lot of 343’s maps, the sightlines are really well thought out, so with a bit of change it could be a decent map in my eyes. They just need to encourage people out of blue somehow. The trouble is it’s not a very balanced map so the only fair place any powerup can go seems to be bottom mid.

Anyway, I’m rambling. I think they should bring back the camo though!

> 2533274917717257;7:
> > 2533274827113670;5:
> > I feel like you should find a new game to play because all you do is complain.
>
> Loool you mean I come to waypoint about every 3-4 months when I have something I’d like to say to 343? Like when I forge a map for two weeks and it glitches out and my time is wasted? I let them know but I still spent another week or two and forged a brand new map that I’m pretty f*ckin proud of. Or when I ranked really well and 343 reset it and erased my hard work - but I still got back on the grind and got well over onyx 1800 for the first time?
>
> I love halo but every now and then it’s really annoying.

I’m sorry I just looked at your profile. I got you confused with someone else with your same profile pic. There was a guy complaining about matchmaking being horrible but was playing on pc.

> 2535445999536368;3:
> > 2533274917717257;1:
> > Not trying to put 343 down, but what on earth are they thinking about with Riptide?
> >
> > 343, do you realise how awful the gameplay is on that map? It’s basically just camp in blue room, or a rare alternative is to camp in the less protected orange. At least when there was an camp bottom mid people had to leave blue to get it, even if blue still was OP, gameplay varied.
> >
> > The hydra in orange isnt enough to make people move towards orange.
> >
> > Something, anything needs to change with that map, the gameplay is so stale.
>
> Agreed. Not to mention the fact that people just camp the hallway with the beam rifle. It’s also really hard to get to the second level on the map because there aren’t many ways up.

This is the trouble - quick access to the other power positions comes from blue, making you at an even bigger disadvantage if you don’t control blue. It’s just so unbalanced.

On a separate note the other power positions like top mid and the stage are pretty well balanced with vulnerabilities and strengths, but to me that kind of encourages people to stay in blue even more, which is much more protected in comparison.

To me a map is bad if there are large elements of it remaining mostly unused - it speaks of major gameplay problems in my opinion. They need to encourage movement around the map and imo the idea that if you just camp in blue, you’re missing out on a vital power up or power weapon.

what map isn’t :slight_smile:

> 2533274827113670;9:
> > 2533274917717257;7:
> > > 2533274827113670;5:
> > > I feel like you should find a new game to play because all you do is complain.
> >
> > Loool you mean I come to waypoint about every 3-4 months when I have something I’d like to say to 343? Like when I forge a map for two weeks and it glitches out and my time is wasted? I let them know but I still spent another week or two and forged a brand new map that I’m pretty f*ckin proud of. Or when I ranked really well and 343 reset it and erased my hard work - but I still got back on the grind and got well over onyx 1800 for the first time?
> >
> > I love halo but every now and then it’s really annoying.
>
> I’m sorry I just looked at your profile. I got you confused with someone else with your same profile pic. There was a guy complaining about matchmaking being horrible but was playing on pc.

I confuse people’s profile pics all the time, which is my I started using my unicorn emblem as my profile pic again. Who can go wrong with a unicorn.

I agree, but only when it comes to Slayer.

The other day I played against a team and the only thing they did was camp in the Blue Room.

This map in FFA isn’t so bad, though.

I’m sure that this map can work great as a Stongholds map or a CTF map.

Also if 343 is listening, please take this map off rotation for the Slayer playlist!

> 2533274811336073;12:
> > 2533274827113670;9:
> > > 2533274917717257;7:
> > > > 2533274827113670;5:
> > > > I feel like you should find a new game to play because all you do is complain.
> > >
> > > Loool you mean I come to waypoint about every 3-4 months when I have something I’d like to say to 343? Like when I forge a map for two weeks and it glitches out and my time is wasted? I let them know but I still spent another week or two and forged a brand new map that I’m pretty f*ckin proud of. Or when I ranked really well and 343 reset it and erased my hard work - but I still got back on the grind and got well over onyx 1800 for the first time?
> > >
> > > I love halo but every now and then it’s really annoying.
> >
> > I’m sorry I just looked at your profile. I got you confused with someone else with your same profile pic. There was a guy complaining about matchmaking being horrible but was playing on pc.
>
> I confuse people’s profile pics all the time, which is my I started using my unicorn emblem as my profile pic again. Who can go wrong with a unicorn.

Same reason I use mine, nobody uses the EG emblem (and they are my fav team even though they may not be too relevant anymore).

And now about the map. Riptide is basically a whoever owns blue owns 1st place. My playstyle includes lots of map movement. Because of that, I don’t do too well on Riptide. I usually place 1st-3rd in FFA, with a KDA of around 4+. But on this map, I’m lucky to even go positive.