Ridiculous hitboxes

Hey guys, would first off like to say that I am not hating on this game. Im really enjoying it and think 343 did a great job.

Moving on, one thing that is bugging me is the hit boxes on the scenery. I’ll be taking cover behind a rock with a sniper rifle, with the sights perfectly aligned over a grunts head. When I pull the trigger, I see the grunt still alive and chunks of rock flying about, despite the rock being no where in my aim.

Its gotten to the stage now where im standing NEXT to a tree with a rocket launcher and rocket somehow hitting the tree when fired.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I’ve noticed this, yes, and its annoying, yes. Especially when trying to get the “All According To Plan” Acheivement. But, if you were as patient as a real sniper, and waited until your reticle turned red… you shouldn’t have a problem. Also… good to see your enjoying the game.

This post should be a role model for some of the rest. Getting your point across with little hate towards the game, but expressing your thoughts in a good way. And… you didn’t type anything in all Caps! It really seems like some people are stuck in all caps when they are raging a game. You don’t need to yell to get your point across… which is what you didn’t do. Good job.

> But, if you were as patient as a real sniper, and waited until your reticle turned red… you shouldn’t have a problem. Also… good to see your enjoying the game.

Kind of, though I’ve always thought of reticle colour as being of secondary importance in Halo 1. It’s just not a perfect indicator; there are plenty of situations where it makes sense to fire weapons with a blue reticle, and plenty where firing when red makes little sense.

It’s almost more a double-check than anything else, especially considering that sniping in Halo often benefits from snappy shooting.

> > But, if you were as patient as a real sniper, and waited until your reticle turned red… you shouldn’t have a problem. Also… good to see your enjoying the game.
>
> Kind of, though I’ve always thought of reticle colour as being of secondary importance in Halo 1. It’s just not a perfect indicator; there are plenty of situations where it makes sense to fire weapons with a blue reticle, and plenty where firing when red makes little sense.
>
> It’s almost more a double-check than anything else, especially considering that sniping in Halo often benefits from snappy shooting.

They had to keep the same hitboxes to preserve gameplay but the newer graphics layer may take away or add to what appears to be the hitboxes the hitboxes.

P.S. Don’t try to snipe through trees! It never works. EVER!

Keep in mind that the code for this game is 10 years old. I don’t know if it was an oversight on Bungie’s part, or technical limitations of the time, but the polygons on which tree limbs rest take up physical space. As for hit boxes on other scenery, it comes with the territory. New graphics on top of old polygons is bound to cause some issues.

Can’t agree with this more. This is so frustrating. In previous Halo games I’ve only seen this problem with the Rocket launcher since the bullets come from your shoulder instead of right between the eyes like most guns, but something 343 did in Anniversary made it way too easy to get your shots blocked by scenery. :frowning:

Yea, I was really worried about this game when I got to the level Halo. Ran across the bridge, and took cover behind the rock to the left. Could have sworn that rock had WAY more cover. Hitboxes still give you cover, but the aesthetics are a LONG ways off. Once you get past the first few levels, it seems to get better. I still have to switch to classic for glitching though.

Also, anyone try driving out of Halo in the new graphics? It gets REALLY confusing.