Reward system in Halo 4 needs to change, This is my plan

The rewards system in Reach was cool, but it ruined the ranking system and the way in which you earned them were uneventful and not exciting. I believe I have found a way to change that.

Now before I talk about the rewards system I must mention that for this to work the current Ranking system for Reach has to change. So I will go over that and the reward system will come after.

One of the most criticized aspects of Reach is its Ranking/credit system. It wasn’t all bad, but in Halo 4’s case I suggest a new system be implemented. Many of you would probably like to see Halo 3’s system return. Though I wouldn’t completely disagree with this notion, I believe I have come up with a system that will satisfy every Halo player.

First of all the hardcore must be catered too. These are the players that have been with Halo since the beginning, and it is only fair that the ranking system benefit them the most. The ranking system first begins with the playlists.

The playlist sets include

Ranked

Social

Community

Cooperative

The ranked playlist includes

Team Slayer

Team Objective

Team Swat

Team Snipers

MLG

Lone Wolves

and maybe one or two more.

The casual playlists like griffball, action sack, social slayer, etc. will be found throughout the other playlist sets.

Each of the ranked playlists will have an individual 1-50 system. Sound similar to Halo 3? Well here is where it changes a bit. In Halo 3 your rank was dependent on your highest skill and XP. In Halo 4 I propose the concept of requirements. In the concept of requirements each level requires the player to accomplish certain tasks. For example, you start out as a trainee. To advance to the level of recruit you are " required" to play one match.

Lets skip ahead a few ranks to corporal. The requirments of reaching the rank of corporal are 10 matches played, 3 wins, At least one lvl 5 in any ranked playlist.

Lets go even further along now to major. The requirments for major are 75 matches, 40 wins, At least a lvl 30 in one ranked playlists and at least lvl 10 in 3 other ranked playlists. ( starting to get it?)

Now as my final example we will skip to the highest rank. A 5 star general. To reach the highest rank in Halo 4 it is required you have 1k games, 700 wins, and a lvl 50 in all of the ranked playlists. Please note these are just examples. As I explained before each rank has different requirments. Ranking up is based mostly on your lvl in ranked playlists, total games, and games won. This system will also greatly decrease boosters because reaching the max level is no longer just asbout your highest rank. I hope I explained it in a way that makes sense.

Next up is the reward system. Rewards were first introduced in Halo 3 with different armor premutations and was expanded in Reach with the credit system. Again I say we change the reward system in Halo 4. No longer are things unlocked by buying them with credits. Instead rewards should be unlocked through challenges. Now challenges are nothing new to Halo. Currently Reach has daily and weekly challenges. In halo 4, instead of daily and weekly challenges, there should just be a list of challenges from the very beginning.

An example of a challenge would be

Get 15 sniper headshots in one game: Unlock Scout Helmet

Get 1k career kills: Unlock new chest piece

Win 5 games in a row in any ranked playlist: Unlock New shoulders

Again these are just examples. Each challenge unlocks something. But what if multiplayer isn’t really your thing? You aren’t competitive. You spend most of your time in firefight, or Forge, or campaign. Well the challenge system is not limited to just multiplayer. It has challenges in every single aspect of Halo 4.

Complete the campaign: Unlock EVA helmet

Complete campaign on differnt difficulties for different armor

In Forge, Create a map that gets downloaded over 2,000 times and get a hardhat helmet.

In firefight survive 4 sets: Unlock a new voice

Get an untouchable in firefight: Unlock the tacpad

And again these are all examples. There can be a challenge for anything. Completing campaign missions, getting sprees in multiplayer, getting a high multikill, taking a popular screenshot, forging a popular map, get a map featured in matchmaking, survive in firefight, score the flag 3 times in CTF, the possibilities for challenges are endless. And being rewarded with specific items every time you complete these challenges are simply fun. A lot funner than AFKing in firefight for credits, or exploiting the game to get enough for some helmet which everyone with enough credits can get. Now when people see you wearing a certain helmet they go, damn, that guy had to get a perfection for that helmet. Or, did you see the guy with the security shoulders? How the hell did he win 10 lone wolves games in a row! Yes the rewards may be harder to achieve, but this way they are actually… well… " rewarding". Your going to be proud when you unlock a hard armor piece.

Again with this reward system the possibilities are endless. Not only with how you get the rewards, but the rewards themselves. For completing challenges you can unlock new armor, firefight voices, new emblems, new nameplates ( create a map that gets put in matchmaking and you get the hammer and anvil nameplate), A few armor effects ( these are going to be hard to get), and so much more. Honestly guys I get excited even thinking about this. You can get rewards for ranking up, rewards for getting your gametype downloaded, rewards for finding skulls. Every single time you complete a challenge you are rewarded with a unique item specific to that challenge. And this " reward" system, is a lot more rewarding than just getting a handful of numbers…

Thats what i got. i hope you liked my ranking system and reward system. Post your support, criticisms, and your own ideas below. DISCUSS

Im down with this. It definitely seems to support both types of systems in a balanced manor.

> Im down with this. It definitely seems to support both types of systems in a balanced manor.

Thats the goal. There are challenges for the hardcore like getting perfections, and sprees, and headshots. And those people are going to get rewards for that. But there are also challenges for the casuals like forging maps that get downloaded or playing firefight and stuff.

And of course the ranking system is more skill based like before, but still different.

interesting ideas.

another thing I was thinking of is making it be level based (assuming we get a 1-50 system). it would be neat to have sets of armor that get unlocked as you prove your skill and rank up.

The only thing I kinda dont like is firefight being incorporated into it. Its fine if there are only some rewards for doing some specific things in firefight, but nothing else IMO. Reach really got me to dislike its player progression system with being able to rank up while playing firefight. Firefight is soooo much easier than muliplayer its ridiculous and you should not get rewards the same if not more amount.

> interesting ideas.
>
> another thing I was thinking of is making it be level based (assuming we get a 1-50 system). it would be neat to have sets of armor that get unlocked as you prove your skill and rank up.

Yep, I think I mentioned somewhere in there about unlocking things by ranking up. Not every rank, but every few ranks at least.

> The only thing I kinda dont like is firefight being incorporated into it. Its fine if there are only some rewards for doing some specific things in firefight, but nothing else IMO. Reach really got me to dislike its player progression system with being able to rank up while playing firefight. Firefight is soooo much easier than muliplayer its ridiculous and you should not get rewards the same if not more amount.

No No No you misunderstood. Firefight has absolutely nothing to do with your rank. you rank is determined by your skills in the ranked playlists like I described above. Challenges and rank are seperate things. Your rank tells you how good you are, but the challenge system is now how you get rewarded. That is what I meant by firefight. Completing challenges in firefight does not help your rank, it just gives you rewards. Like surviving 15 minutes in a firefight match without dying will unlock a new shoulder piece or something. The credit system is gone and your rank is determined by multiplayer.

I’d be much happier with a trueskill somewhat towards the Halo 2 system. We need a system where getting a 50 is virtually impossible, we need a system where you can’t consider 30 as a bad skill. Remember how in Halo 3 a level 30 was concidered bad? The ranking system should be more simple, 25 should be decent, 30 should be good, 35 very good and over 40 would require a real pro. This system would give every people a challenge as getting 50 would seem imposssible, but in theory it would be possible, but require unimaginable win streaks.

This is the only ranking system I would accept. Actually, if it was up to me, the game would have no ranking system at all. Of course trueskill running in the background to provide even matches. And the trueskill would have to be very strict.

A forge map that gets 2000 downloads? That’ll never happen for me.

> A forge map that gets 2000 downloads? That’ll never happen for me.

That’s why it’s a challenge friend.

> I’d be much happier with a trueskill somewhat towards the Halo 2 system. We need a system where getting a 50 is virtually impossible, we need a system where you can’t consider 30 as a bad skill. Remember how in Halo 3 a level 30 was concidered bad? The ranking system should be more simple, 25 should be decent, 30 should be good, 35 very good and over 40 would require a real pro. This system would give every people a challenge as getting 50 would seem imposssible, but in theory it would be possible, but require unimaginable win streaks.
>
> This is the only ranking system I would accept. Actually, if it was up to me, the game would have no ranking system at all. Of course trueskill running in the background to provide even matches. And the trueskill would have to be very strict.

I didn’t really go in to specifics on how you get to 50. I just went in to specifics on what your visible rank will be determined by. So i kinda agree with you. By getting to lvl 50 that means you are high enough to be a general, but getting to 5 star general you need 50’s in every playlist , which is something you are truly going to have to work for.

I feel embarrassed not typing something out as long as you did, OP, but I really do like the system you’ve proposed. I think not only does it support casual play, but it also supports competitive play and it allows more to be sought for after a 50 was attained(Which should be a mix between the Halo 2 to Halo 3 system in terms of difficulty to achieve.).

Normally I type out longer replies but I’m in a bit of a rush. As I’ve already stated I really like your idea and I hope that this thread stays alive for others to view and make suggestions.

So you want armor to be unlocked by achievements instead of time played? Yeah me too. Unlocking Recon in Halo 3 was really fun and challenging. Same with the Katana.

But now in Reach… when I see armor I want, I think to myself “oh I just have to play a few hundred more games to unlock that.” BORING. :frowning:

> So you want armor to be unlocked by achievements instead of time played? Yeah me too. Unlocking Recon in Halo 3 was really fun and challenging. Same with the Katana.
>
> But now in Reach… when I see armor I want, I think to myself “oh I just have to play a few hundred more games to unlock that.” BORING. :frowning:

Yes, things are now unlockeed by specific actions, not just playing games and getting credits. But I should mention that challenges are not limited to achievments. There may be some achievments for some challenges, but they are not the same thing.

This would be an acceptable system if I’ve ever seen one. Brings the best of Halo into one system. I’m down with it.

I like the idea of having to accomplish different tasks (challenges) to unlock things again, and I like how you mention different nameplates, that would add playtime to the game for sure, hundreds of different things would be nice

I would like a 1-50 for each playlist so you can see how you are doing, but not have it effect rank. Maybe have a more Halo 3 xp. based rank system where each game you win gets you xp.

I do like the idea for the challenges.

You know I always like reading your post they are always great!

As for the post I agree with this however since I support the Custom Game Browser I would have to support a small social playlist.

Also for the 1-50 I have a new system for it!

I made up the theory of having an xp system within the ranking system

So if you are trying to reach level 22 after becoming level 21 you have to gain 5 points.

1=win
2=win and MVP
-1=loss
0=loss and MVP
1extra point=+7K/D

Also you can check your exp on your service record once you are in the playlist like how Halo 3 worked after TU showing the EXP for every playlist!

I love the post, but one thing for the challenges that unlock armor how would you unlock some armor if you dont have live and can’t do matchmaking.

My solution to that is each armor piece has a challenge for a few different game modes like campaign,multiplayer,firefight.

So basically if you are a firefight person you can gain all your armor in firefight if you want!

I mainly agree, but challenges shouldn’t be based on luck (like getting high download amounts or winning more than 5 games in a row), rather skill. While I like the idea of the rewards as they are essentially like armor linked to achievements in Halo 3, the thing I disliked about this method is you’re not guaranteed to get a piece you really like if you aren’t skilled/lucky enough to complete the challenge for it.

> I mainly agree, but challenges shouldn’t be based on luck (like getting high download amounts or winning more than 5 games in a row), rather skill. While I like the idea of the rewards as they are essentially like armor linked to achievements in Halo 3, the thing I disliked about this method is you’re not guaranteed to get a piece you really like if you aren’t skilled/lucky enough to complete the challenge for it.

Well the UI can help all that. if you are going for a specific challenge you can select it and it will put you in the best possible playlist for it. And yes thats what I was tring to say. Challenges are based on skill not luck. Winning 5 free for all games in a row is skill, you get something for that. Getting a map dwnlded 2k times means you probably worked hard on it, it was good, you put it on youtube or something and people saw it.

Not to mention if there is a custom game browser like the fine gentlemen above you stated, it will be even easier to show off your map. people join your game, they like it, they download it.

And its not supposed to be a garuntee, you gotta work for your armor.