Revert radar to first flight

The radar in the first technical test had it right, I think. I’ve noticed two things: people are hiding/crouching WAY more because they are afraid to move since that causes them to appear on radar. Additionally, now there really is not a good reason not to just always be sprinting, where as before you had to consider the trade-off (speed at the cost of detection). If radar could only detect threat or intense motion (sprinting, shooting, nading, even climbing) with additional readability such as elevation relative to you, I think it would be in a great spot.

I recognize Halo has traditionally had a motion sensor for movement. This is absolutely personal preference for me based on what I observed during the first test.

I agree. The only thing I dislike in the current flight are the changes to the radar. It is just encouraging worse type of play, and hurts game flow which was much better in the previous flight.

Also, I find the inclusion of this legacy radar in social playlists questionable. I have seen plenty of examples of how the radar is being used to trick new players into traps without them even knowing that they got killed because of the radar.

Tradition is not a good justification for what is essentially a worse gameplay mechanic.

No the first flight radar is not halo people can still crouch with the other radar to what you’re saying makes no sense crouching is the problem? You do realize crouching would still be a problem with the Other radar? This radar is definitely better and is more Halo intact they should increase it to 25m. You’re crouching standpoint on camping makes no sense they’ll be crouching with each radar regardless of what radar is implemented….

> 2533274933770910;2:
> I agree. The only thing I dislike in the current flight are the changes to the radar. It is just encouraging worse type of play, and hurts game flow which was much better in the previous flight.
>
> Also, I find the inclusion of this legacy radar in social playlists questionable. I have seen plenty of examples of how the radar is being used to trick new players into traps without them even knowing that they got killed because of the radar.
>
> Tradition is not a good justification for what is essentially a worse gameplay mechanic.

A worse gameplay mechanics? You do know halo had this radar for 15 years and no one was complaining about it but now since they changed it you’re saying they should reinvent the wheel for something that never was an issue to begin with. The other radar creates more random gun fights and gameplay and promotesEasier sneak up attacks and you guys are over here complaining about crouching when the other radar you would be getting back smacked before you even could turn around…

> 2533274855463139;3:
> No the first flight radar is not halo people can still crouch with the other radar to what you’re saying makes no sense crouching is the problem? You do realize crouching would still be a problem with the Other radar? This radar is definitely better and is more Halo intact they should increase it to 25m. You’re crouching standpoint on camping makes no sense they’ll be crouching with each radar regardless of what radar is implemented….

My point is with the other radar crouching is not as advantageous because just walking also prevented you from showing up. Now the only way to prevent detection is crouching, so it’s far more prevalent than it was before. Sure, people might still crouch with the first flight radar, but they may not feel as paralyzed by concerns about detection if they know they can also walk and still be ‘safe.’

And increasing detection range but leaving radar as it currently stands is only going to encourage even more of the camping behaviors.

In fact I’ll go as far as saying 343 do not change this keep the radar the way it is it’s called a motion tracker for a reason it’s not and ability tracker like they have in Call of Duty this is not call of duty this is halo stop listening to the people That want to change the radar that has been in stone for 15 years now period.

> 2708861561594216;5:
> > 2533274855463139;3:
> > No the first flight radar is not halo people can still crouch with the other radar to what you’re saying makes no sense crouching is the problem? You do realize crouching would still be a problem with the Other radar? This radar is definitely better and is more Halo intact they should increase it to 25m. You’re crouching standpoint on camping makes no sense they’ll be crouching with each radar regardless of what radar is implemented….
>
> My point is with the other radar crouching is not as advantageous because just walking also preventing you from showing up. Now the only way to prevent detection is crouching, so it’s far more prevalent than it was before. Sure, people might still crouch with the first flight radar, but they may not feel as paralyzed by concerns about detection if they know they can also walk and still be ‘safe.’
>
> And increasing detection range but leaving radar as it currently stands is only going to encourage even more of the camping behaviors.

I totally disagree I don’t see more camping happening. With the way grenades are in the game being mini nukes and no friendly fire plus the TTK there’s not too much camping going At least from what I’ve seen At least from what I’ve seen so you might wanna rethink your logic here…

> 2533274855463139;7:
> > 2708861561594216;5:
> > > 2533274855463139;3:
> > > No the first flight radar is not halo people can still crouch with the other radar to what you’re saying makes no sense crouching is the problem? You do realize crouching would still be a problem with the Other radar? This radar is definitely better and is more Halo intact they should increase it to 25m. You’re crouching standpoint on camping makes no sense they’ll be crouching with each radar regardless of what radar is implemented….
> >
> > My point is with the other radar crouching is not as advantageous because just walking also preventing you from showing up. Now the only way to prevent detection is crouching, so it’s far more prevalent than it was before. Sure, people might still crouch with the first flight radar, but they may not feel as paralyzed by concerns about detection if they know they can also walk and still be ‘safe.’
> >
> > And increasing detection range but leaving radar as it currently stands is only going to encourage even more of the camping behaviors.
>
> I totally disagree I don’t see more camping happening. With the way grenades are in the game being mini nukes and no friendly fire plus the TTK there’s not too much camping going At least from what I’ve seen At least from what I’ve seen so you might wanna rethink your logic here…

LMAO @ nades as mini nukes. Agreed with you there!

Just my personal opinion based on my experiences. I respect where you’re coming from. Different strokes for different folks!

I prefer the previous flight radar too, but general consensus is that most players disliked it and want the old radar. So it should stay like this as that’s what most people want.

Hardcore gametypes will have no radar and I just appreciate desperately they have decided not to include a level indicator telling you exactly what floor the enemy is on.

> 2533274855463139;4:
> > 2533274933770910;2:
> > I agree. The only thing I dislike in the current flight are the changes to the radar. It is just encouraging worse type of play, and hurts game flow which was much better in the previous flight.
> >
> > Also, I find the inclusion of this legacy radar in social playlists questionable. I have seen plenty of examples of how the radar is being used to trick new players into traps without them even knowing that they got killed because of the radar.
> >
> > Tradition is not a good justification for what is essentially a worse gameplay mechanic.
>
> A worse gameplay mechanics? You do know halo had this radar for 15 years and no one was complaining about it but now since they changed it you’re saying they should reinvent the wheel for something that never was an issue to begin with. The other radar creates more random gun fights and gameplay and promotesEasier sneak up attacks and you guys are over here complaining about crouching when the other radar you would be getting back smacked before you even could turn around…

You know something is bad when its existence is being justified with 'it has always been like this".

I preferred the radar of the first flight because I think it makes the game more enjoyable without any pre-grenading shenanigans and because I believe it is better for new Halo players who will get abused with this current iteration of the radar.

Sneak up attacks are good. It is a skill that should be rewarded. I don’t understand why outsmarting your opponents should be considered as a bad thing.

> 2533274801036271;9:
> I prefer the previous flight radar too, but general consensus is that most players disliked it and want the old radar. So it should stay like this as that’s what most people want.
>
> Hardcore gametypes will have no radar and I just appreciate desperately they have decided not to include a level indicator telling you exactly what floor the enemy is on.

I don’t think most players were asked after the first flight. Many of us didn’t get the beta surveys.

> 2533274933770910;10:
> > 2533274855463139;4:
> > > 2533274933770910;2:
> > > I agree. The only thing I dislike in the current flight are the changes to the radar. It is just encouraging worse type of play, and hurts game flow which was much better in the previous flight.
> > >
> > > Also, I find the inclusion of this legacy radar in social playlists questionable. I have seen plenty of examples of how the radar is being used to trick new players into traps without them even knowing that they got killed because of the radar.
> > >
> > > Tradition is not a good justification for what is essentially a worse gameplay mechanic.
> >
> > A worse gameplay mechanics? You do know halo had this radar for 15 years and no one was complaining about it but now since they changed it you’re saying they should reinvent the wheel for something that never was an issue to begin with. The other radar creates more random gun fights and gameplay and promotesEasier sneak up attacks and you guys are over here complaining about crouching when the other radar you would be getting back smacked before you even could turn around…
>
> You know something is bad when its existence is being justified with 'it has always been like this".
>
> I preferred the radar of the first flight because I think it makes the game more enjoyable without any pre-grenading shenanigans and because I believe it is better for new Halo players who will get abused with this current iteration of the radar.
>
> Sneak up attacks are good. It is a skill that should be rewarded. I don’t understand why outsmarting your opponents should be considered as a bad thing.

It’s halo not call of duty radar so it’s always been like this is very justifiable on those terms…Sneak up attacks take skill really ? You really just justified that ? Crouching on radar to sneak up takes more effort than running behind someone which is your so called “sneak attack “

> 2533274933770910;11:
> > 2533274801036271;9:
> >
>
> I don’t think most players were asked after the first flight. Many of us didn’t get the beta surveys.

The forums and Twitter were pretty vocal, YouTube polls too. Unfortunately I didn’t see anywhere that showed more people were in favour of the new radar.

I’m sure their surveys probably had that too. Not everyone got a survey but generally the surveys are used to get a snapshot of the potential thoughts of the wider population. I’m assuming a large majority also gave that feedback via the surveys.

> 2708861561594216;5:
> > 2533274855463139;3:
> > No the first flight radar is not halo people can still crouch with the other radar to what you’re saying makes no sense crouching is the problem? You do realize crouching would still be a problem with the Other radar? This radar is definitely better and is more Halo intact they should increase it to 25m. You’re crouching standpoint on camping makes no sense they’ll be crouching with each radar regardless of what radar is implemented….
>
> My point is with the other radar crouching is not as advantageous because just walking also prevented you from showing up. Now the only way to prevent detection is crouching, so it’s far more prevalent than it was before. Sure, people might still crouch with the first flight radar, but they may not feel as paralyzed by concerns about detection if they know they can also walk and still be ‘safe.’
>
> And increasing detection range but leaving radar as it currently stands is only going to encourage even more of the camping behaviors.

Motion sensor is crucial because it lets you know when someone who isn’t crouching is near you. The people who want to crouch in corners in camp will do it anyway. Your logic of taking away awareness to somehow magically counter a playstyle that has and will always be a part of FPS gaming is not solid. The motion sensor is fine. It promotes moving slower when near objective points which is what it was always there for. People crouching around is literally why they made it that way. They want you to crouch around and be stealthy. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t have included Active Camo in every Halo game. In fact, motion sensor is an amazing counter to the active camo because you can still see cloaked enemies when they walk around. You would actually be making it easier for invisible people to have the upper hand by keeping it the way it was before.

> 2533274801036271;13:
> > 2533274933770910;11:
> > > 2533274801036271;9:
> > >
> >
> > I don’t think most players were asked after the first flight. Many of us didn’t get the beta surveys.
>
> The forums and Twitter were pretty vocal, YouTube polls too. Unfortunately I didn’t see anywhere that showed more people were in favour of the new radar.
>
> I’m sure their surveys probably had that too. Not everyone got a survey but generally the surveys are used to get a snapshot of the potential thoughts of the wider population. I’m assuming a large majority also gave that feedback via the surveys.

Probably true, but I would have preferred them to wait until more people had chance to try the new radar.

Also, the community feedback is fine, but the community is not always right about everything. Most of what we see in Halo Infinite is 343’s vision of the next Halo game and they had to sell it to the community. They have done both the design and selling it to the community admirably.

Gives this community a chance to design their Halo game via popular opinion and it will end up just like that car designed by Homer Simpson.

Increase the range to 22 or take it out completely.

> 2533274933770910;15:
> > 2533274801036271;13:
> > > 2533274933770910;11:
> > > > 2533274801036271;9:
> > > >
>
> Probably true, but I would have preferred them to wait until more people had chance to try the new radar.
>
> Also, the community feedback is fine, but the community is not always right about everything. Most of what we see in Halo Infinite is 343’s vision of the next Halo game and they had to sell it to the community. They have done both the design and selling it to the community admirably.
>
> Gives this community a chance to design their Halo game via popular opinion and it will end up just like that car designed by Homer Simpson.

Lmao a good way of putting it. I do think the changes balanced sprint and were good for more competitive players but definitely harmed more casual players so I think the decision to change it back probably is the right one to appease the most players.

Some things I think it’s worth ignoring the general consensus of it creates a more balanced game and if it affected competitive play I’d be completely against it.

I disagree, I like classic Halo radar and the crouch walking speed is a lot faster than other games so I don’t think it’s an issue. I’m sure there will be a ranked playlist that will have no radars, weapon pads or sprint.

> 2708861561594216;1:
> The radar in the first technical test had it right, I think. I’ve noticed two things: people are hiding/crouching WAY more because they are afraid to move since that causes them to appear on radar. Additionally, now there really is not a good reason not to just always be sprinting, where as before you had to consider the trade-off (speed at the cost of detection). If radar could only detect threat or intense motion (sprinting, shooting, nading, even climbing) with additional readability such as elevation relative to you, I think it would be in a great spot.
>
> I recognize Halo has traditionally had a motion sensor for movement. This is absolutely personal preference for me based on what I observed during the first test.

100% agree. The first flight radar was way better. The current radar is useless and actually gets me killed because I look at it expecting it to work but the range is just too damn small. I much prefer having a longer range radar and only showing shooting and sprinting. Also currently the camo is much worse than last flight because of the radar, instead of being able to walk around freely with camo, which you should since it is a power up and should be strong. You now show up on radar when walking which makes it a much worse pick up.

> 2533274855463139;4:
> > 2533274933770910;2:
> > I agree. The only thing I dislike in the current flight are the changes to the radar. It is just encouraging worse type of play, and hurts game flow which was much better in the previous flight.
> >
> > Also, I find the inclusion of this legacy radar in social playlists questionable. I have seen plenty of examples of how the radar is being used to trick new players into traps without them even knowing that they got killed because of the radar.
> >
> > Tradition is not a good justification for what is essentially a worse gameplay mechanic.
>
> A worse gameplay mechanics? You do know halo had this radar for 15 years and no one was complaining about it but now since they changed it you’re saying they should reinvent the wheel for something that never was an issue to begin with. The other radar creates more random gun fights and gameplay and promotesEasier sneak up attacks and you guys are over here complaining about crouching when the other radar you would be getting back smacked before you even could turn around…

It may be shocking to you but just because something has always been a certain way doesn’t mean there is no room for improvement. Before the first Infinite flight, I would have been inclined to side with you as I never really gave the radar any thought. It simply existed. But 343i gave us a glimpse of something better with the Flight radar that I didn’t realize would be such a huge improvement to the gameplay.

That said, 343i reverted the changes after feedback from a percentage of gamers that were invited to the first flight and only had 2 hours to get a feel for the new radar. No one had enough time to acclimate to the change. They should have kept it in for this beta at the very least and gotten a broader range of opinions. Instead they listened to the vocal minority.