RETURN TO A GOOD RANKING FORMULA

I’m sure this has been discussed to some degree but being a competitive long time fan I felt the need to voice my concern for Halo 4’s matchmaking. I’m going to keep this short and sweet.

Heres a quick refresher for what each Halo offered from a competitive stand-point.

Halo 2 - Skill levels (it was impossible to reach lvl 50 but this made it fun). An excellent variety of ranked playlist (including ranked BTB). Clan support. Lets also not forget the leader-boards which anyone could view on Bungie’s site.

Halo 3 - Skill levels (far to easy to reach a lvl 50 if done correctly). Good variety of ranked playlist.

Halo Reach - No skill levels, instead Arena. Limited to 2 playlist (now 1). Very little variety.

Last month I searched ranked team slayer on Halo 3 and the population was greater than the Arena in Reach. It’s clear the arena didn’t work as planned. While the idea itself wasn’t all the bad, the lack of objective based games, along with no vehicles made ranked matchmaking bland. You don’t get girls with Onyx, you get girls with multiple level 50’s.

In conclusion, every new Halo entry takes a step backwards in the competitive ranked department. Replicate Halo 2’s ranked matchmaking and Halo 4 will be outstanding.

Agreed, good sir

> I’m sure this has been discussed to some degree but being a competitive long time fan I felt the need to voice my concern for Halo 4’s matchmaking. I’m going to keep this short and sweet.
>
> Heres a quick refresher for what each Halo offered from a competitive stand-point.
>
> Halo 2 - Skill levels (it was impossible to reach lvl 50 but this made it fun). An excellent variety of ranked playlist (including ranked BTB). Clan support. Lets also not forget the leader-boards which anyone could view on Bungie’s site.
>
> Halo 3 - Skill levels (far to easy to reach a lvl 50 if done correctly). Good variety of ranked playlist.
>
> Halo Reach - No skill levels, instead Arena. Limited to 2 playlist (now 1). Very little variety.
>
> Last month I searched ranked team slayer on Halo 3 and the population was greater than the Arena in Reach. It’s clear the arena didn’t work as planned. While the idea itself wasn’t all the bad, the lack of objective based games, along with no vehicles made ranked matchmaking bland. You don’t get girls with Onyx, you get girls with multiple level 50’s.
>
> In conclusion, every new Halo entry takes a step backwards in the competitive ranked department. Replicate Halo 2’s ranked matchmaking and Halo 4 will be outstanding.

Agreed. +1

I agree, A good ranking system will be a good thing for Halo.

I don’t know why you guys are so obsessed with ranks.
I just want to play the game.

> I don’t know why you guys are so obsessed with ranks.
> I just want to play the game.

Edited by a moderator. Stat flaming is against the rules.

I couldn’t agree anymore honestly… I pretty much said the exact same thing in my thread.

https://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst37604_The-Multiplayer-Experience.aspx

Ranks are great for the competitive population. The Halo 2 ranking system was amazing. It truly did pair you up with people of your skill level, if you got better you’d play against better people. If you lost a few games you would de-level. If you weren’t competitive there was still Team Training/Social Gametypes.

http://i4.lulzimg.com/i/a0e2b839.jpg

:smiley:

I agree with the OP, make it happen 343.

> I couldn’t agree anymore honestly… I pretty much said the exact same thing in my thread.
>
> https://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst37604_The-Multiplayer-Experience.aspx
>
> Ranks are great for the competitive population. The Halo 2 ranking system was amazing. It truly did pair you up with people of your skill level, if you got better you’d play against better people. If you lost a few games you would de-level. If you weren’t competitive there was still Team Training/Social Gametypes.
>
> http://i4.lulzimg.com/i/a0e2b839.jpg
>
> :smiley:

You really don’t need a ranking system to have skill-based matchmaking.

If rank returns, it needs to follow the path of the Arena, but with more variety. Halo 3 was terrible, and I cannot speak for Halo 2, but when it came to making fair matches, I’ve enjoyed Arena for the most part.

> You really don’t need a ranking system to have skill-based matchmaking.
>
> If rank returns, it needs to follow the path of the Arena, but with more variety. Halo 3 was terrible, and I cannot speak for Halo 2, but when it came to making fair matches, I’ve enjoyed Arena for the most part.

Yes, you do. Without a visible rank and a more immediate punishment or reward players lose the motivation to win. It destroys the game. When the player is invested in the ‘rank’ they are unlikely to goof around, quit early, team kill, etc.

You’re right. It has been discussed. Hundreds of times. And every time there’s people to suck each other off and shout I AGREE!

Good OP post. Short and sweet and to the point.

Let’s have the Halo 2 1-50 back again, please.

I liked having a visible rank a lot more then the arena. Having a social playlist separate form a ranked one was the best equation IMO.

Time will tell, hopefully they view this forum frequently and see the number of post’s concerning the ranking formula for Halo 4.

Good post OP. Personally, I’d like to see a 1-50 system that’s a mix between Halos 2 and 3 (but leans slightly more toward 2). People have also suggested keeping the Credit System alongside another skill system for the sole purpose of unlocking armor, which would also be fine with me.

> Yes, you do. Without a visible rank and a more immediate punishment or reward players lose the motivation to win. It destroys the game. When the player is invested in the ‘rank’ they are unlikely to goof around, quit early, team kill, etc.

And because unless you were skilled, you would never get a chance to “finish” in H3’s ranking system. So H3’s system became pointless and invalidated itself.

> I agree, A good ranking system will be a good thing for Halo.

Agreed, this was one part where REACH failed, and alot of players have left becasuse of it.

I hope Halo 4, can have a much better system.

I think the Halo 3 system was OK.

But Halo 4, should show 3 Ranks.

  1. Overall Progression (Same as Halo REACH - No skill just Expereince)

  2. Game Type Progression (Same as the Halo 3 System, where you had a seperate rank for each playlist, but this was expereince not skill).

  3. TRUE SKILL System (from Halo 2 and Halo 3)

3a. KD is showed for the playlist you are currently on, and users can see Overall KD, if they have selected your player.

KD is also a good statistic to check skill.

Most people are not aware that Reach has the best ranking system. It is all behind the scenes so people could not game the system like so many did in halo 2 and 3.

> > You really don’t need a ranking system to have skill-based matchmaking.
> >
> > If rank returns, it needs to follow the path of the Arena, but with more variety. Halo 3 was terrible, and I cannot speak for Halo 2, but when it came to making fair matches, I’ve enjoyed Arena for the most part.
>
> Yes, you do. Without a visible rank and a more immediate punishment or reward players lose the motivation to win. It destroys the game. When the player is invested in the ‘rank’ they are unlikely to goof around, quit early, team kill, etc.

I must agreed,

By having a Ranking System, this would reduce alot of the quitters and people just mucking around. AS these players will play in the social/unranked play list. This is a good thing.

Too many games in REACH, you have quitters or AFK. They are ruining the game.

I do like the social aspect of REACH, as I use to hate Ranked Playlist in both Halo 2 and 3, but this was more due to connection and lag. And due to this, lost games where if connection was good, would had easily won, this frustrated me.

I am Australian, and Halo 2 was terrible for us, as nearly every game we had Red Bar, as American alwasy had Host. Halo 3 was alot better, but still rarely got a game with full Green.

Halo REACH, even with American Host, we aussies can still get Green, and have a good game. With Networking code getting better and better. Halo 4 should not have this problem. And nearly all games will be pretty even. Host still has an advantagem but not as much as it did in Halo 2.

Yeah I agree with OP i really do miss the 1 - 50 system

The thing that really gets me about ranking systems these days
is that when you see the top rank your response is along the lines of

“That person has played this game … A lot”

Where as in MOST cases in Halo 2 or Halo 3, not saying it
was perfect and there were no cheaters because well lets
face it there were, you seen a top rank and you thought to
yourself

“… he is a boss”

I think that if people think that about a rank it makes it
sooo much more worth while … This is my personal opinion
of course =]