Return of the flood

I was brainstorming earlier and I thought that maybe Halo 5 will end with hint of the Flood returning for Halo 6 since 343 already confirmed the Flood will not be present in Halo 5.

I always loved the concept of the Flood and if they could bring them back to how terrifying they were in Halo CE it would be really cool. Imagine how cool/disgusting they would look with next-gen graphics?

It’s been almost 10 years since the Flood were in a Halo game (unless you count Halo Wars) and depending on the execution of their revival, I think it could be really neat and make Halo a bit darker than the theme 343 is going with which is already pretty dark.

What do you guys think?

I think 343 will set it up at some point to have the flood come back. They’ve been behind all of the lore after Halo Reach and the Forerunner Saga definitely cements the Flood as one of the most powerful entities in this universe. (spoiler alert) By this I mean they aren’t just another enemy, they were sent by the Precursors. They are extremely relevant and important to the Halo universe, they would definitely make for a great and terrifying enemy. Then I again, I think forerunners and precursors need to be acknowledged at some point throughout the games as well, they need to be fleshed out a bit more.

We’ve already seen them on next gen with halo 2 anniversary. But I get your point. I would like them back but it would also just -Yoink- on halo 3’s ending if they came back again

It would be pretty cool, with that ending it would get me more hyped though…
Anyway, I’m of the people who thinks that the Flood is essential for Halo saga, and now with the Prometheans I’d love to see them back for a battle of Precursors’ and Forerunners’ children.

> 2533274974984138;3:
> We’ve already seen them on next gen with halo 2 anniversary. But I get your point. I would like them back but it would also just -Yoink- on halo 3’s ending if they came back again

If I’m reading into this part correctly, this means “At the end of H3, we stopped the Flood for good” right? If so, I’m not quite so sure about that… I think we only stopped one gravemind, from one Halo installation. That’s not counting the other rings that might still house Flood “for study” or otherwise, and the possibility of infected planets like the one the Spirit of Fire came across.

If I’m misinterpreting that then I apologize ^^

> 2533274974984138;3:
> We’ve already seen them on next gen with halo 2 anniversary. But I get your point. I would like them back but it would also just -Yoink- on halo 3’s ending if they came back again

Well, then I’ve got bad news for ya. That’s a segment of Halo escalation showing the current whereabouts of Spirit of Fire, we know it’s returning in Halo Wars 2, and we know the Flood survived aboard after the events of the first game.

> 2533274974984138;3:

Not exactly. The whole reason as to why the forerunners kept flood samples on their installations for study is because they knew that the Flood couldn’t simply be defeated and would likely rise up again. And low and behold! It did! So the possibility of the flood returning isn’t too hurtful to the H3’s ending, at least in the long run. And taking into account books, we know the flood came from outside of the galaxy and were a creation of the Precursors. So the key to bringing them back would be doing so along side the introduction of some Precursor lore to make it have some new found value beyond their appearance in the original trilogy.

And now that I think about it… The forerunners were the mysterious race that was so advanced that they were treated as Gods. But now, the illusion is broken as we learn just how imperfect and far from divine they really were. And what’s more, Humans were their rivals in the past, and are now incorporating Forerunner tech into their own and with every passing year the humans get closer and closer to being the dominant race in the galaxy like the Forerunners once were. (No wonder the Didact was so pissed off)

I imagine that in a sense, the Precursors could be what the Forerunners were to us during the original trilogy. The “new Forerunners” if you will. A mysterious and highly advanced race of beings, long ago wiped out to what is assumed to be extinction.

-Yoink!- this community is smarter then me :frowning:

> 2533274974984138;8:
> -Yoink!- this community is smarter then me :frowning:

I know how you feel. I really need to read the Forerunner trilogy as I have no clue what everyone is talking about at times, but I still enjoy reading these discussions they are interesting.

On topic I would say it’s inevitable we see flood again in the Halo games. As SpiritForce said about Forerunner’s keeping samples of them on their installations, I reckon it’s only a matter of time before they show up again.

> 2533274799153651;9:
> > 2533274974984138;8:
> > -Yoink!- this community is smarter then me :frowning:
>
>
> I know how you feel. I really need to read the Forerunner trilogy as I have no clue what everyone is talking about at times, but I still enjoy reading these discussions they are interesting.
>
> On topic I would say it’s inevitable we see flood again in the Halo games. As SpiritForce said about Forerunner’s keeping samples of them on their installations, I reckon it’s only a matter of time before they show up again.

Actually now that I think about it, so of this stuff was mentioned in the halo CE terminals.
So it’s just me being stupid.

As long as they make the return an epic and creepy one like their initial appearance and not make it such a huge chore to tear through them Library style then I’d be totally fine with it.
The fights should be more interesting then they were in order to make it not feel as much as a chore though.

Has everyone ignored Zeta Halo/Installation 07 and its history. This has had long history with flood, including five graveminds, Mendicant Bias and currently a containment situation that may get out of control since the Elites and UNSC were dispatched there to investigate as of 2558.

I’m guessing that the end of Halo 5 will be foreshadowing of Forerunner and Flood/Precursor return for Halo 6 - that is if Halo 6 is the Reclaimer Saga “end-game”.

We’ve only really encountered the Flood as a small/limited outbreak in fairly controlled environments. A full scale return of the Flood is likely to encompass at least one future Halo title in and of itself.

As the direction 343i have played out for the Reclaimed Saga is for humanity to receive the Mantle and in one of Greg Bear’s books it was stated that humanity would be tested next, I think the Flood will make some kind of appearance (alluded to perhaps) at the end of Halo 5.

Sorry, duplicate post!

> 2533274886341460;14:
> Sorry, duplicate post!

It happens I keep getting errors on this site but yea I wouldn’t be surprised if the containment fails by a full scale surprise outbreak by another gravemind that was just testing the skills of the Elites/marines.

I used to be so scared of the Flood…my worst enemy ever.