Return of multiplayer interactivity

Of all the things I’ve noticed the most since the torch passed to 343. It’s been the lack interactive features of the multiplayer maps. Aside from some static events like cylinders raising and occasional cover manipulation like on eden.
Halo 2/3 zanzibar. Dropping the bridge. Being able to raise the blockade to prevent vehicle access and closing the shutters.
Halo 2 elongation. The conveyor belts that allowed you to crouch walk at normal speed while staying off the radar. The crates on this belt adding great cover but could trap you and send you to your death if you lingered too long.
Halo 3 high ground. Detachable turret on the map and not just forgable for custom games only. I believe you could shut the gate on this map but memory is fuzzy.
Snowbound had the shield walls. While not intractable directly…they enhanced gameplay.
Vehicles on more than half of the 4v4 maps making mid size maps doable and fun for 4v4 arena

Making the stalactites on Waterworks fall was pretty fun too. Especially on the rare occasion when you actually got a kill doing it.

> 2535470524887292;2:
> Making the stalactites on Waterworks fall was pretty fun too. Especially on the rare occasion when you actually got a kill doing it.

Man I forgot about that one.

There was also lots of maps with portals and manlifts (Narrows and Construct were great). Those type of things are rarely seen now.

Always found it strange that after Halo 3, interactivity of multiplayer maps was kind of just scrapped and never really returned. I always thought that designs like the Zanzibar bridge showed promise, and future games would continue to build on this idea. It’s such an obvious thing to do, since everybody seems to like it.

Yes please. The maps with interactive/special elements were always my favorite. For instance, CTF on Sandtrap with the Elephants, grav canons on Narrows, the elevator on Ivory Tower, Zanzibar, High Groubd, etc etc. These elements make the map feel special and create another opportunity for strategic map control. A game of CTF with the Elephants on Sandtrap is a compleyely unique experience for instance. It’s impossible to compare to normal CTF.

I was really disappointed by Bungie and 343i for not just refusing to evolve the idea but scrapping it entirely. There was potential for some really crazy, unique map design but they went with gray boxes in Halo 5