Retcon of the Halo Ring(s)

I was just curious of what everyone thinks of the visual retcon (good or bad) done to Installation 04 as seen in the various videos that have been making their way through the forums.

With the exception of the pistol, I think everything looks good.

Now the rings look like anti-sons-of-a-yoingitch weapons, I like it.

The only thing I’d change is that purple line accross its lenght. It’s out of place for me…

They shoulda used this opportunity to retcon the ring into a square. Each Halo installation could be a shape with the same number of sides as it’s designation with the first and second installations being mind boggling shapes we simple humans cannot comprehend, like a LINE and a DOT.

It’s a tad strange that they would change it so much, especially since Halo rings have looked the same throughout every game so far. However, I really do like the look so I’m not complaining.

> It’s a tad strange that they would change it so much, especially since Halo rings have looked the same throughout every game so far. However, I really do like the look so I’m not complaining.

That’s really the part that bothers me too, the fact that the continuity has remained the same throughout all the games (especially since we see a current gen version of it in Halo 3) and now with CEA they’ve broken that by ultimately changing the architecture of it.

I don’t think the design is bad, though to me it looks more Covenant than Forerunner, just that for such a long time the rings have looked one way.

> > It’s a tad strange that they would change it so much, especially since Halo rings have looked the same throughout every game so far. However, I really do like the look so I’m not complaining.
>
> That’s really the part that bothers me too, the fact that the continuity has remained the same throughout all the games (especially since we see a current gen version of it in Halo 3) and now with CEA they’ve broken that by ultimately changing the architecture of it.
>
> I don’t think the design is bad, though to me it looks more Covenant than Forerunner, just that for such a long time the rings have looked one way.

It’s actually the other way around, the covenant we’re using the Forerunner technology’s, so if the rings looks more “covenant” than “forerunner” you are right as in my opinion, they are the same… as the covenant is using forerunner tech- okay, no repeating… they are the same… =/

I know/understand that I just like how before their was a clear distinction where as now it seems kinda blurred. One thing I liked about the original design too was the fact it really wasn’t all that flashy as it is now

Did you know the Halo seen at the end of Reach is the original??? o.O unaltered.

how bOLD of me to say that, mirite? and damn! i feel what i wrote was cOLD! so i just tOLD what i wrote.
(if you were going to say it, i beat you to it! :3)

> Now the rings look like anti-sons-of-a-yoingitch weapons, I like it.
>
> The only thing I’d change is that purple line accross its lenght. It’s out of place for me…

More blue-ish now

To be honest, the change to the outside of the ring was the thing that bothered me the most in the whole remake, besides Keyes’ face. The row of panel thingies that they added around the ring on both sides just makes it look really off and way too different from the original.

> To be honest, the change to the outside of the ring was the thing that bothered me the most in the whole remake, besides Keyes’ face. The row of panel thingies that they added around the ring on both sides just makes it look really off and way too different from the original.

Ditto

Halo is just one big retcon… Iv given up on caring about it because it doesnt make a difference. Its made me stop caring about the cannon and just focus on the actual video game

> To be honest, the change to the outside of the ring was the thing that bothered me the most in the whole remake, besides Keyes’ face. The row of panel thingies that they added around the ring on both sides just makes it look really off and way too different from the original.

Agreed with this too.

Then again, we know that Saber was in charge of updating the graphics, so maybe it was them that redesigned Halo to be this way. Still, I wouldn’t get too worried about it unless they started going all crazy like this in the Reclaimer trilogy.

I like that they’re adding more detail to forerunner structures and I think it’s only right that they do the same to Halo but I think they overdid the ring a little.

I think the ring looks hideous now. Just out of place and necessary.

It is what it would look like if the game was made in 2011 instead of 2001. They couldn’t add that detail back then, did they ever in writing say it looked that way like in halo ce? If not then it is just more detail due to better tec.

> It is what it would look like if the game was made in 2011 instead of 2001. They couldn’t add that detail back then, did they ever in writing say it looked that way like in halo ce? If not then it is just more detail due to better tec.

It looks totally different. Halo 3 showed us what a Halo ring should look like with today’s technology.

> > It is what it would look like if the game was made in 2011 instead of 2001. They couldn’t add that detail back then, did they ever in writing say it looked that way like in halo ce? If not then it is just more detail due to better tec.
>
> It looks totally different. Halo 3 showed us what a Halo ring should look like with today’s technology.

More or less. It incomplete when we saw it, but I hear what you’re saying.

I don’t mind the way Halo looks in CEA, but I wouldn’t have minded if they stuck to a more traditional look.

> It is what it would look like if the game was made in 2011 instead of 2001. They couldn’t add that detail back then, did they ever in writing say it looked that way like in halo ce? If not then it is just more detail due to better tec.

The original ring model is hardly a low-quality asset; from many angles it looks as though it has a pretty smooth curvature even from fairly close, and Bungie used it for every representation of Installation 04 even up through Reach. If they had wanted to modify it to have blue lights and things sticking off of it, they had several opportunities to do so, including opportunities involving what are technically different rings, allowing for a more justifiable artistic swap.

More importantly, one of the things bothering me most about the video game industry as a whole right now is this whole notion that “more detail” should imply “more details.” I actually think that a fair number of 6th gen AAA games remain aesthetically vastly superior to most modern ones, simply because developers were forced to use simple colour schemes and design iconic simple geometries, occasionally to incredible results. The clutter that a lot of modern games include simply because they can, I think, very frequently makes the game visually less interesting.