Response time

I’m having a problem with response time online. When I play by myself my TVs response from my controller is perfect . the second I play on Throwdown or any other game type I get a like 50ms response and its annoying but this doesn’t happen when I play by myself. Like if I went to custom games and put octogon on its perfect . when I play online its like something is pulling my analog stick .

My TV specs
24" Samsung syncmaster T24B350
5ms response time
60hz refresh rate
I’m using a HDMI cord with turtle beaches X32
Any ideas?

That sounds like lag.

What type of lag? Definitely not internet lag it wouldnt effect my performance of the TV . is their anny suggestions for me?
(Don’t tell me to put it on game mode as I’m not a noob and all ready have done so)

> What type of lag? Definitely not internet lag it wouldnt effect my performance of the TV . is their anny suggestions for me?
> (Don’t tell me to put it on game mode as I’m not a noob and all ready have done so)

It sounds like internet lag. If it’s only when you go into matchmaking, and not in solo customs, that’s probably internet lag.

i have trouble believing you can feel 50ms in the game. the average person reaction time is 215 ms. try it HERE

you know that halo 4 only runs at 30 frames per second, right? that might be why you “feel” lag.

When I reverted back to my old CRT TV its perfect. I’ve been dealing with this for 6 months trying to get use to it but I just can’t stand it anymore

I know how internet lag feels like I’ve been dealing with 5 Mbps for my whole house for years , so I’m an expert on lagging but about a month ago I bumped it up to 20mbps , so no lag. And I highly doubt I’m lagging in every game. The problem feels more like when more objects appear (like Spartans) the problem begin to happen . if I play against one person (1v1) its smooth . when I play with 7 other people its terrible .

> i have trouble believing you can feel 50ms in the game. the average person reaction time is 215 ms. try it HERE
>
>
> you know that halo 4 only runs at 30 frames per second, right? that might be why you “feel” lag.

This could be the problem but I’m also getting it on COD.Its like my refresh rate slows down. Its hard to explain

> When I reverted back to my old CRT TV its perfect. I’ve been dealing with this for 6 months trying to get use to it but I just can’t stand it anymore

Could it be then, that something’s wrong with your TV?

Sorry, I’m not expert (not even close to your knowledge base), so that’s all I got.

Besides the obvious Internet latency (commonly referred to as lag) I would recommend checking your TV’s manual. Most new TV’s have a “game mode” or the ability to turn off any processing/filters. Check your TV manual for this setting or call the manufacturer to double check.

However if you play customs or solo campaign and things are normal then most likely your TV has the correct setting already.

You could also try all the following to maximise your connection quality:

How To Improve Your Connection

> This could be the problem but I’m also getting it on COD.Its like my refresh rate slows down. Its hard to explain

Do you know how fast 50ms is?

It’s 1/20 of a second (faster than a human blinking).

What you are describing is some sort of mix between input lag and network latency - it would help if you were more clear on what the issue is.

> > This could be the problem but I’m also getting it on COD.Its like my refresh rate slows down. Its hard to explain
>
> Do you know how fast 50ms is?
>
> It’s 1/20 of a second (faster than a human blinking).
>
> What you are describing is some sort of mix between input lag and network latency.

But I’m talking about gaming . a human leaking is way to slow for me while gaming , imma need about 10 ms or less lol

> > This could be the problem but I’m also getting it on COD.Its like my refresh rate slows down. Its hard to explain
>
> Do you know how fast 50ms is?
>
> It’s 1/20 of a second (faster than a human blinking).
>
> What you are describing is some sort of mix between input lag and network latency - it would help if you were more clear on what the issue is.

And also I was giving an example I don’t know the actual ms it is when I play it , all I know is its slow and needs to be fixed .

> Besides the obvious Internet latency (commonly referred to as lag) I would recommend checking your TV’s manual. Most new TV’s have a “game mode” or the ability to turn off any processing/filters. Check your TV manual for this setting or call the manufacturer to double check.
>
> However if you play customs or solo campaign and things are normal then most likely your TV has the correct setting already.
>
> You could also try all the following to maximise your connection quality:
>
> How To Improve Your Connection

I do feel the slowness in campaign its just that its worse online

I was having a similar issue.
I just turned on "Game Mode’, which I didn’t know about.
Thanks guys!

> I was having a similar issue.
> I just turned on "Game Mode’, which I didn’t know about.
> Thanks guys!

Lol glad ur problem is fixed

Try turning down your in-game brightness under Audio and Video. A friend of mine had a similar sounding issue with his new TV a while back.

> Try turning down your in-game brightness under Audio and Video. A friend of mine had a similar sounding issue with his new TV a while back.

I put it on 2

> The problem feels more like when more objects appear (like Spartans) the problem begin to happen . if I play against one person (1v1) its smooth . when I play with 7 other people its terrible .

Could just be a minor slowdown in the graphics engine, then, caused by it having more work to do.

The overwhelming majority of people would not perceive a 50ms delay in rendering, so it’s probably not something the devs would consider a problem. (It’s pretty impressive that you can perceive that delay, if you’re measuring it right.)

> > The problem feels more like when more objects appear (like Spartans) the problem begin to happen . if I play against one person (1v1) its smooth . when I play with 7 other people its terrible .
>
> Could just be a minor slowdown in the graphics engine, then, caused by it having more work to do.
>
> The overwhelming majority of people would not perceive a 50ms delay in rendering, so it’s probably not something the devs would consider a problem. (It’s pretty impressive that you can perceive that delay, if you’re measuring it right.)

As a matter of fact, studies suggest that latencies as low as 20 ms can be noticed, and beyond 40 ms can have effects on performance. That said, OP’s issue seems unique, and isn’t necessarily something that could have been caught up in development.

Judging by what I can gather based on the OP’s comment, it could be a combination of input lag of the TV and performance issues of a potentially failing console. The latter assumption is based on the fact that bringing more players into the game affects performance significantly.

I would suggest trying a switch from HDMI to VGA. That removes a portion of input lag caused by the display. Overall, all I can suggest is to minimize input lag; use a wired controller and VGA (or a CRT TV if you are willing to go that far).