REQUEST: Please Bring Back Funny Dialogue

This right here is one of the millions of reasons why the Bungie games were so great. Where was this in Halo 4? One was a bad Mantis easter egg and the other was a cameo from a TV show host. Seriously, bring back the funny in Halo 5.

Yes!!! Totally agreed!

Agree entirely. Unfortunately while 343 was busy copy/pasting from CoD and hiring people to do expensive cgi cutscenes they forgot to be funny.

I am eternally grateful of 343 for Halo MCC, but one of the reasons why pre-reach Bungie was one of the greatest studios of all time was because they had a good sense of humor in whatever they were creating, and they were not afraid to have fun with it. Many developers these days are so serious about creating a cinematic campaign that having a laugh and putting funny **** in their games isn’t even on their minds anymore. Bungie was one of those exceptions, and that’s why they earned my respect until reach completely blew it away.

This was one of main reasons why Bungie was so loved, not mentioning the easter eggs of course. 343 simply removed all of these. Also the IWHBYD skull is worthless, since there are no marines in the entire campaign (only a few) and the Covenant only growls intead of talking english.

Yep, bring it back!

343 have, had 3 years to make halo 5. Im sure they’ll have time to add in fun Dialogue and amazing easter eggs

Bring back Nathan Fillion

> Bring back Nathan Fillion

They should at least hire some of the original Elite voice actors too. These new ones sound really odd.

> Bring back Nathan Fillion

Yes please! I love Nathan Fillion.

Exactly this. Halo 4’s campaign was way to melodramatic compared to the others. It was missing that little touch that made halo’s campaign a bit different from every other shooter.

> 343 have, had 3 years to make halo 5. Im sure they’ll have time to add in fun Dialogue and amazing easter eggs

Fingers crossed. I don’t have much hope though.

Oh man that video brought back many memories. I never heard any of the ones from that video, save a few. But I used to love just going in to campaign and screwing around with the IWHBYD Skull and listening to all the funny comments the characters and enemies would say.

Best one from that video: @4:27

“Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids can’t get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that make you feeeel?”

I died laughing

Admittedly, some of the lines Halo 3’s grunts do were not just comedy gold, but comedy diamond-encrusted platinum-infused moonrocks.

However, it was not without its disadvantages. Halo 3 always felt… a little schizophrenic. One moment you have appalling horror with the flood grotesquely mutating everything, then you have little methane-junkie midgets running around being wacky. I remember once that a particularly dramatic line of dialogue was interrupted by a sleeping Grunt saying: “Rukt! Fist… Merry Christmas…”

So it is good to have funny lines, but not when Halo 4 is trying to be more realistic and gritty, as well as the “darkest Halo yet”.

Perhaps the grunts are only funny, or the Covvies only speak English when you have IWHBYD on? That would preserve both parts of the spectrum.

PS: I just thought… If the IWHBYD thing is actually used… Who wants to hear what the Prometheans have to say?

I prefer the more tongue and cheek combat dialogue. Made me more attached to the interactions of the various NPCs. Making everything super solemn and professional just made me care less about the characters. I definitely say it’s worth it.

> Exactly this. Halo 4’s campaign was way to melodramatic compared to the others. It was missing that little touch that made halo’s campaign a bit different from every other shooter.

Did you play Reach? I won’t deny that Halo’s 1-3 had more comedic elements (Halo 1 more than the other two) but Reach was pretty barren on that front too. It all depends on context though, in the right place it’s fine, but it can also kill the mood.

I’d prefer the comedy be only at certain parts of the campaign, or all with the IWHBYD skull on. I don’t want be in a super-dramatic situation just to have some wise cracking marine yell something. It’d just make me kill the marine.

The funny Covenant dialogue was non-existent due to Storm Covenant. But Marines/Spartans didn’t have any at all. Halo 3 had a serious, even more serious story than Halo 4 and even it had hilarious stuff in it.

343i should focus on making the game better as a whole, but the little things like funny Grunts and silly Elites can change a gamers experience entirely.