REQS ARE LUXURIES, NOT REQUIREMENTS/ENTITLEMENTS

…You do NOT have to acquire them. A seller promoting a post-sale enhancement and making it attractive does not somehow give a prospective buyer a right to have it. Lack of experience/failure to understand everyday consumer transactions is the root of most of the anguish over micro-transactions and the allegations against it as “pay-to-win”. Distress that people may choose to monetarily pay for a product enhancement is no more logically justified than distress that people may choose to monetarily pay for an upgraded version of their car or its service plan.

Again, REQs are optional and it is a player’s choice to desire them so much that they act to acquire them. As with countless consumer items, buyers have a choice to purchase an item. At the point of sale or afterwards, sellers are free to sell any enhancements, upgrades, add-on items, etc. they wish. Buyers are also free to not purchase any of these and to stick with their base model. Buyers are also free to let themselves desire those enhancements and purchase them. 343i has allowed players in this case to also earn digital currency to acquire REQs, and its “wage scale” is its own choice to set.

If there is a philosophical grudge against those with luxury items being advantaged in a setting over those without, then a video game that already provides an equal price for access to the full core experience and an alternate non-monetary payment method to acquire luxury items is not an effective place to vent it. If we claim that micro-transactions “hurt our favorite video game” despite being in total conformity with common business practice, then we are not truly in love with the IP–we are in love with our nostalgia about it. I want the Halo universe to grow and last for as long as gaming does, and if the practices that enable it to do so shed old Halo game characteristics, so be it. I love Halo more than any of its traditional characteristics, and many of us will continue to support it with our wallets.

So… it’s wrong for people to disagree with the direction Halo is heading? Because that’s what I’m getting from your post.

They are optional, but they want you to spend money. That’s what the marketing team wants.
To do this, they make spending money seem easier then actually grinding the game.

That’s a low microtransaction, it’s also sneaky because it’s not pay to win, makeing pepole think “oh its better then pay to win.” It actually worse… rather then blatantly state it’s a bad system, it’s done in a way so it’s surface looks better then the latter.

343 really showed they have some anti consumer practices in there ranks, and that makes me lose so much respect for them.

To anybody who spends points on the packs, good on you. Show 343 we don’t want to spend a dime on there in game items.

> 2535437652903765;2:
> So… it’s wrong for people to disagree with the direction Halo is heading? Because that’s what I’m getting from your post.

Disagreeing with the story, multimedia approach, or other Halo direction? Completely justified. Disagreeing with the business practice of micro-transactions? Completely justified. Claiming that the business practice of micro-transactions is wrong? Not justified at all, and it requires either an unusually insulated lack of awareness of basic consumer transactions or a selective blindness to the contradiction between condemning those and condemning this game’s enhancements to claim that paying for REQs is wrong.

> 2533274873390670;4:
> > 2535437652903765;2:
> > So… it’s wrong for people to disagree with the direction Halo is heading? Because that’s what I’m getting from your post.
>
>
> Disagreeing with the story, multimedia approach, or other Halo direction? Completely justified. Disagreeing with the business practice of micro-transactions? Completely justified. Claiming that the business practice of micro-transactions is wrong? Not justified at all, and it requires either an unusually insulated lack of awareness of basic consumer transactions or a selective blindness to the contradiction between those and this game’s enhancements to claim that paying for REQs is wrong.

Oh. That makes sense. I personally wouldn’t say that microtransactions are wrong, more just that they are an annoyance. I’d also say they are a bit of a waste of money for the consumer, but, hey, if someone wants to buy them, go ahead. It’s your money, it’s your time, I can’t stop you.

> 2535437652903765;5:
> > 2533274873390670;4:
> > > 2535437652903765;2:
> > > So… it’s wrong for people to disagree with the direction Halo is heading? Because that’s what I’m getting from your post.
> >
> >
> > Disagreeing with the story, multimedia approach, or other Halo direction? Completely justified. Disagreeing with the business practice of micro-transactions? Completely justified. Claiming that the business practice of micro-transactions is wrong? Not justified at all, and it requires either an unusually insulated lack of awareness of basic consumer transactions or a selective blindness to the contradiction between those and this game’s enhancements to claim that paying for REQs is wrong.
>
>
> Oh. That makes sense. I personally wouldn’t say that microtransactions are wrong, more just that they are an annoyance.

On that we’re very much agreed. I cannot resist trying to get those sweet sweet Answers or Blood of Subans, and I can’t afford to spend an hour earning one gold pack (not a great player), so I pay to compress the earning time: a great value for me personally.

Have you tried going up against a fireteam of 12 REQ-armed Spartans on your own without using any REQs yourself? You get absolutely murdered.

REQs play a huge role in the game whether you care to admit it or not. Being able to buy a REQ (12 of them actually) that kills people in a single shot is absolutely ridiculous.

They are indeed optional. It’s hard to imagine someone going without reqs but I have a friend who uses 0 reqs, has 2.5 million rp, 80 nornfangs etc. He still has a better k/d than me.

Gosh Microsoft is such a crook for having a profit motive. I mean, it’s not like it is a for profit business or anything. We the hard working gamers deserve everything for free in life.

> 2533274873390670;1:
> …You do NOT have to acquire them. A seller promoting a post-sale enhancement and making it attractive does not somehow give a prospective buyer a right to have it. Lack of experience/failure to understand everyday consumer transactions is the root of most of the anguish over micro-transactions and the allegations against it as “pay-to-win”. Distress that people may choose to monetarily pay for a product enhancement is no more logically justified than distress that people may choose to monetarily pay for an upgraded version of their car or its service plan.
>
> Again, REQs are optional and it is a player’s choice to desire them so much that they act to acquire them. As with countless consumer items, buyers have a choice to purchase an item. At the point of sale or afterwards, sellers are free to sell any enhancements, upgrades, add-on items, etc. they wish. Buyers are also free to not purchase any of these and to stick with their base model. Buyers are also free to let themselves desire those enhancements and purchase them. 343i has allowed players in this case to also earn digital currency to acquire REQs, and its “wage scale” is its own choice to set.
>
> If there is a philosophical grudge against those with luxury items being advantaged in a setting over those without, then a video game that already provides an equal price for access to the full core experience and an alternate non-monetary payment method to acquire luxury items is not an effective place to vent it. If we claim that micro-transactions “hurt our favorite video game” despite being in total conformity with common business practice, then we are not truly in love with the IP–we are in love with our nostalgia about it. I want the Halo universe to grow and last for as long as gaming does, and if the practices that enable it to do so shed old Halo game characteristics, so be it. I love Halo more than any of its traditional characteristics, and many of us will continue to support it with our wallets.

You completely do not take into account that those “luxury items” affect other people who don’t have them directly therefore fundamentally changing (and invalidating some of) your argument. Sure it doesn’t matter if you have a nicer car than someone else in real life because it isn’t a deathmatch in real life. Has no PvP, or at least isn’t supposed to. If you have an ONI warthog vs someone without reqs/even a regular warthog ONI hog wins every time.

Let’s demonstrate this by pitting someone without reqs against an ad victorium. who’s going to win? Who paid for the rocks, that’s who.

> 2533274873390670;4:
> > 2535437652903765;2:
> > So… it’s wrong for people to disagree with the direction Halo is heading? Because that’s what I’m getting from your post.
>
>
> Disagreeing with the story, multimedia approach, or other Halo direction? Completely justified. Disagreeing with the business practice of micro-transactions? Completely justified. Claiming that the business practice of micro-transactions is wrong? Not justified at all, and it requires either an unusually insulated lack of awareness of basic consumer transactions or a selective blindness to the contradiction between condemning those and condemning this game’s enhancements to claim that paying for REQs is wrong.

Claiming something with proper evidence is never wrong. Honestly you just called so many people’s opinions wrong. That, guy, is wrong.

I agree with this. The whole microtransactions overreaction is just been a excuse for losing a match. No one can lose fairly anymore
Someone is to be blamed. It’s your choice. I never by reqs ( becuase I hardly play wz) and never have a problem holding up a game with just loadouts.

Exactly, spending real-world money on Reqs is completely optional. And it is sad that people get themselves so distraught over feeling as if they need to buy them, or get insanely jealous of someone with high-level Reqs. As long as you play what you enjoy, you should earn Req points and Req packs as you go, with Rare, Ultra-Rare, or even a Legendary item being given in one of the pack rewards. So it’s completely possible to get good stuff without spending a dime. The real challenge is, depending on the type of Warzone mode you are playing, getting your Req level high enough to use those powerful weapons/vehicles/boosts.

> 2535449625725537;12:
> I agree with this. The whole microtransactions overreaction is just been a excuse for losing a match. No one can lose fairly anymore
> Someone is to be blamed. It’s your choice. I never by reqs ( becuase I hardly play wz) and never have a problem holding up a game with just loadouts.

That’s actually a great point: that REQs are an easy target for others to blame losses on, despite players having the skill to hold it down with just loadouts.

> 2533274887950450;13:
> Exactly, spending real-world money on Reqs is completely optional. And it is sad that people get themselves so distraught over feeling as if they need to buy them, or get insanely jealous of someone with high-level Reqs. As long as you play what you enjoy, you should earn Req points and Req packs as you go, with Rare, Ultra-Rare, or even a Legendary item being given in one of the pack rewards. So it’s completely possible to get good stuff without spending a dime. The real challenge is, depending on the type of Warzone mode you are playing, getting your Req level high enough to use those powerful weapons/vehicles/boosts.

Hit it right on the head: “as if they need to buy them”. It’s a choice to be dissatisfied with seeing one’s REQ list mostly locked. Warzone weapons never been meant to be a point-to-point even match; it’s a rock-paper-scissors system.

> 2533274873390670;15:
> > 2533274887950450;13:
> > Exactly, spending real-world money on Reqs is completely optional. And it is sad that people get themselves so distraught over feeling as if they need to buy them, or get insanely jealous of someone with high-level Reqs. As long as you play what you enjoy, you should earn Req points and Req packs as you go, with Rare, Ultra-Rare, or even a Legendary item being given in one of the pack rewards. So it’s completely possible to get good stuff without spending a dime. The real challenge is, depending on the type of Warzone mode you are playing, getting your Req level high enough to use those powerful weapons/vehicles/boosts.
>
>
> Hit it right on the head: “as if they need to buy them”. It’s a choice to be dissatisfied with seeing one’s REQ list mostly locked. Warzone weapons never been meant to be a point-to-point even match; it’s a rock-paper-scissors system.

Only time I ever try to use Reqs in Warzone Firefight (my primary gamemode) is switching to BR at Req Level 3, and pulling out a vehicle or power weapon once the big boss spawns. So I try to save them as much as I can. Only in Warzone and Warzone Assault do I even have the opportunity to use Reqs above Level 4 due to their longer run time (more time = more Req levels). But yeah, no one should feel like they need to spend $$ on Reqs. But if they have spare money to burn, then I have no issue with that!

> 2533274873390670;14:
> > 2535449625725537;12:
> > I agree with this. The whole microtransactions overreaction is just been a excuse for losing a match. No one can lose fairly anymore
> > Someone is to be blamed. It’s your choice. I never by reqs ( becuase I hardly play wz) and never have a problem holding up a game with just loadouts.
>
>
> That’s actually a great point: that REQs are an easy target for others to blame losses on, despite players having the skill to hold it down with just loadouts.

Also 343 stated when this gametype was first released that it would be complete unbalanced chaos. Also this pay to win thing just needs to stop. Buying your reqs does not mean you’ll win, yes it does maybe make it easier to get and win, but in no way does it promise it. This is why it cannot be labeled pay to win.

> 2533274873390670;1:
> …You do NOT have to acquire them. A seller promoting a post-sale enhancement and making it attractive does not somehow give a prospective buyer a right to have it. Lack of experience/failure to understand everyday consumer transactions is the root of most of the anguish over micro-transactions and the allegations against it as “pay-to-win”. Distress that people may choose to monetarily pay for a product enhancement is no more logically justified than distress that people may choose to monetarily pay for an upgraded version of their car or its service plan.
>
> Again, REQs are optional and it is a player’s choice to desire them so much that they act to acquire them. As with countless consumer items, buyers have a choice to purchase an item. At the point of sale or afterwards, sellers are free to sell any enhancements, upgrades, add-on items, etc. they wish. Buyers are also free to not purchase any of these and to stick with their base model. Buyers are also free to let themselves desire those enhancements and purchase them. 343i has allowed players in this case to also earn digital currency to acquire REQs, and its “wage scale” is its own choice to set.
>
> If there is a philosophical grudge against those with luxury items being advantaged in a setting over those without, then a video game that already provides an equal price for access to the full core experience and an alternate non-monetary payment method to acquire luxury items is not an effective place to vent it. If we claim that micro-transactions “hurt our favorite video game” despite being in total conformity with common business practice, then we are not truly in love with the IP–we are in love with our nostalgia about it. I want the Halo universe to grow and last for as long as gaming does, and if the practices that enable it to do so shed old Halo game characteristics, so be it. I love Halo more than any of its traditional characteristics, and many of us will continue to support it with our wallets.

replace ‘halo’ with ‘angry birds’, ‘farmville’ or some other bad phone game and you start to realize your argument is paper thin, especially in that last paragraph…your argument boiled down to ‘if you don’t agree with microtransactions you don’t truly love halo’ and ‘if microtransactions remove many of the traditional elements of halo so be it’.

just FYI REQs are used in tandem with warzone, a gametype that was born from the failure of infinity settings. Kevin franklin clearly wanted to pursue it further hence why he had his own section for the development of warzone and breakout. REQs and the playlist they’re used in are as unhalo as it gets, if it wasn’t for the expanded player limit and REQs it would just be infinity BTB with AI.

i don’t know where you were for the first 10-11 years of halo but i think you’ll find that people continued to support with their wallets because of the traditional characteristics, which for those 10 years were just called ‘charateristics’, overwatch has a similar system though it has nothing that bears any in-game value, also overwatch didn’t have the precedent that halo had where they were unlockables. i’m sure you could go the overwatch / LoL route, just you need to do 2 things, 1. not be so clumsy with the system, 2. provide quality content. i think that’s where they went wrong.