Report ATLAS Bugs Here

Did you encounter an ATLAS bug? Please include the following information when reporting it:

Bug:
Repro steps:
Device:

Bug: Two maps on Battle Canyon

Repro steps: N/A - Only happened once, however, I could move around the map of Battle Canyon while I was live tracking myself on the real map.

Device: iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1

Don’t know if this is true at all, but some kid on Bungie.net claims that ATLAS for iOS has already been hacked so that it shows everyone ingame along with what vehicles and weapons they have.

link

At this point, I’d advise people on Android and iOS not to buy ATLAS. But before I get into that, I want to point out a problem I’ve had with this forum. This is the second time that I’ve tried typing up a long post only to have it lost entirely. The first time, I typed up an entire post and clicked post. It didn’t post and my post was lost. I have’t bothered posting here again since. This time, I was a couple paragraphs in, and a dialogue box popped up. I didn’t get a chance to read it, so I have no idea what it was. I was typing as it popped up, and pressing the space bar activated a button on the box that caused the page to refresh. I lost everything I had typed up, so I switched to Notepad after that. I’ve never had this happen on any other forum or blog, and it is incredibly frustrasting.

…Anyways, I’ve used ATLAS in two games now. Here are the bugs and problems I encountered. I’m using the app on the iPhone 4 through wi-fi, and I had it propped up on a stand in front of me, so I could just glance down at it from time to time. I don’t want to have to pick it up and do things with it mid-game, but I had to do so in each game. Overall, I haven’t been able to find a use for it yet, and it ended up creating more problems than it was helpful. I do, however, really like the idea behind the app, and I really hope that it gets better over time.

1. When I first downloaded the app and was looking through it, I noticed that you can’t zoom out to see the whole map. You can sort of zoom out a little bit further, but it zooms back in the second you take your fingers off the screen. This pretty much makes ATLAS useless, and it’s very disorienting to try to use when you can only see a small portion of the map. My first game was at High Noon. Now, this a fairly small map, but I was only able to see about a quarter of it displayed on my phone. Because it was zoomed in like that, it was hard to figure out where I was and which way I needed to go. I had no point of reference, so I had to move around in game or swipe the map around on my phone to figure out where I was on the ATLAS even though I knew where I was in the game.

2. It’s a very bad idea to make the app in a way that requires us to press “game in progress” to load the game we’re playing. In my first game, the “game in progress” box didn’t pop up until several seconds after the game was under way. So instead of playing right away, I sat there and waited for that to happen. In case this isn’t obvious, I’m not going to be looking at other maps if I’m in the middle of a game. ATLAS should load up the real-time map automatically. (But it shouldn’t automatically load up if you’re in the Waypoint section of the app.)

Possible solution: Instead of having us select a map and press the “game in progress box” to start the real-time ATLAS, make a section of the app dedicated for when you’re actually playing. For example, make a tab that says something like “current game” that auto-updates and automatically selects the correct map when a game is in progress. When no game is in progress, just have that page of the app say “no game in progress.” That way when we want to look at maps, we can look at maps and there is no question whether we’re playing or not. And when we want to play, we go to “play now” and ATLAS takes care of the rest.

1. Also during the first game, I could not get it to show my teammates for whatever reason. I even stopped playing to try to figure out what was wrong, and I could not find a solution. I’m assuming it was a bug of some sort, because I was able to see my teammates in the second game.

2. The second game really gave me trouble. First, it didn’t give me the option to load up the real-time ATLAS until several minutes into the game. When I finally got to load it up, it showed High Noon still, but I was on Ridgeline. It even showed me moving around High Noon. I hid in a corner and stopped playing. I exited out of the app completely and went back in. This took forever, because the app is fairly slow overall. (Maybe ATLAS should be a separate app from waypoint.) I loaded up Ridgeline and pressed “game in progress,” and it still showed High Noon. When I tried for the third time to get it to work, it finally did, but the game was about a third of the way over; about four minutes in.

3. When ATLAS did finally load up Ridgeline, I wasn’t able to see where I was like I could in the first game. I wanted it to do what it had in the first game, be centered on me and update as I moved about. This time, I couldn’t get it to do that, but I was able to see my teammates in the small corner of the map it displayed. I press all the buttons on the app to try to get it to show me (including the crosshair in the bottom center), but nothing worked.

4. The app doesn’t support multi-tasking. It loses where you were at if you return to the home screen or switch to another app. That’s not how the iPhone works guys, and it’s really annoying having to boot up every single time, which takes up to a minute each time. I play Katamari Amore, a 3D game, on my iPhone all the time. Katamari takes about as long as Waypoint to load up (despite Katamari’s filesize being 20 times that of Waypoint’s), but once it’s loaded, it doesn’t lose where I’m at in a game unless I manually close it. I’m still able to return to the home screen or switch to another app and return to the same place in Katamari after doing so.

5. I’ve already mentioned the slowness of the app, but I want to elaborate. I understand Waypoint has to load up user information, and I think this is probably why it’s so slow. So, either fix the slowness of the Waypoint servers or maybe try making Waypoint an offline app with a refresh button. If you don’t know what I mean, look at the iPhone app “Stats for Halo Reach” by Will Rodgers. Aside from ATLAS and being able to set custom challenges, which I love, Rodgers’ app is better than the Waypoint app in every way possible. Check it out. Take notes. Please.

I also have a question about weapon spawn locations on ATLAS. Does it simply show where things spawn, or does it show whether they have spawned yet? For example, if someone picks up the rocket launcher, will the rocket launcher’s position still be shown on ATLAS? Or does ATLAS show that it has been picked up and remove it from the map until it respawns?

One last thing, I wish the Waypoint app showed more than just multiplayer stats. I’m glad multiplayer stats are no longer combined with campaign and offline games, but I’d still like to see them. I wish we could check medals and commendations as well, and I don’t like that I can’t look at someone else’s stats beyond their K/D without comparing them beside mine.

Thanks for the app and good luck with it improving it!

> Don’t know if this is true at all, but some kid on Bungie.net claims that ATLAS for iOS has already been hacked so that it shows everyone ingame along with what vehicles and weapons they have.
>
> link

That is not true. Thanks for passing it along, though. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reports, Prink00 and Moa. The ATLAS dev team is monitoring this thread, and they’ll appreciate the details you each provided.

Bug: Attempting to scroll down the list of maps occasionally just opens Anchor 9 or Battle Canyon.

Repro steps: Open the list of maps, try to scroll down. It seems to happen most often if you try to scroll down immediately after the list loads, otherwise it is pretty rare. I don’t get this problem on any other apps though.

Device: iPod Touch 3G iOS 5.0.1

> > Don’t know if this is true at all, but some kid on Bungie.net claims that ATLAS for iOS has already been hacked so that it shows everyone ingame along with what vehicles and weapons they have.
> >
> > link
>
> That is not true. Thanks for passing it along, though. :slight_smile:

How can we be sure? Not trying to be a -Yoink!-(excuse my language) but I just want to see some proof that it has not been hacked.

I noticed each and everyone of Prink00’s bugs on my iPad 2 over Wi-Fi.

The concept is nice, but if it takes 4 minutes to lead out my current game, it is useless and frustrating.

I am not very satisfied with my purchase up to now but I will follow the updates and give the app another try in a few days.

Please fix up the app 343.

Not sure if this counts as a bug, but it has me a bit upset.

BUG: ATLAS not unlocked after purchase.

Repro Steps: Installed Halo Waypoint on my two compatible Android devices. Logged into my Windows LIVE ID and purchased ATLAS on my first device. Quit out. Logged into my WIndows LIVE ID on the second device and it is asking me to purchase or try out ATLAS again.
Shouldn’t this be unlocked at the Windows LIVE / Xbox gamertag level? When I buy an app on the marketplace I can install it on both of my devices. So why should Halo Waypoint be asking me to pay twice?

Device: T-Mobile g2X and G-Slate

Bug: Crashes when trying to enter the ATLAS menu

Repro: Enter the ATLAS menu

Device: iPod Touch 4th Gen

Bondosan0078 - your purchase is associated with your Android Market or Apple App Store account, as the purchase is handled through your device’s market or store.

Try adding the same Google account to your other device. Also make sure that it’s your primary Android Market account on that device.

Note that on older versions of Android Market, you actually cannot add a second Google account to Android Market and you may need to factory reset your device and then setup your Google account to be able to change this.

Yeah, there is only one and it is same Google Account on both devices. I am sure it has something to do with Microsoft using an in app purchase versus a marketplace download for the ATLAS unlock. Makes me worried that if I need to reset or replace my phone I am going to need to pay the fee again to unlock it.

Why isn’t the map “Uplink” in Atlas?

> Why isn’t the map “Uplink” in Atlas?

Uplink is a variation of Condemned iirc, and none of the map variations are in ATLAS.

Bug: Only shows as the size it would on a phone app on my tablet

Device: Acer Iconia Tablet

> 1. When I first downloaded the app and was looking through it, I noticed that you can’t zoom out to see the whole map. You can sort of zoom out a little bit further, but it zooms back in the second you take your fingers off the screen. This pretty much makes ATLAS useless, and it’s very disorienting to try to use when you can only see a small portion of the map. My first game was at High Noon. Now, this a fairly small map, but I was only able to see about a quarter of it displayed on my phone. Because it was zoomed in like that, it was hard to figure out where I was and which way I needed to go. I had no point of reference, so I had to move around in game or swipe the map around on my phone to figure out where I was on the ATLAS even though I knew where I was in the game.
>
> 2. It’s a very bad idea to make the app in a way that requires us to press “game in progress” to load the game we’re playing. In my first game, the “game in progress” box didn’t pop up until several seconds after the game was under way. So instead of playing right away, I sat there and waited for that to happen. In case this isn’t obvious, I’m not going to be looking at other maps if I’m in the middle of a game. ATLAS should load up the real-time map automatically. (But it shouldn’t automatically load up if you’re in the Waypoint section of the app.)
>
> Possible solution: Instead of having us select a map and press the “game in progress box” to start the real-time ATLAS, make a section of the app dedicated for when you’re actually playing. For example, make a tab that says something like “current game” that auto-updates and automatically selects the correct map when a game is in progress. When no game is in progress, just have that page of the app say “no game in progress.” That way when we want to look at maps, we can look at maps and there is no question whether we’re playing or not. And when we want to play, we go to “play now” and ATLAS takes care of the rest.
>
> 3. Also during the first game, I could not get it to show my teammates for whatever reason. I even stopped playing to try to figure out what was wrong, and I could not find a solution. I’m assuming it was a bug of some sort, because I was able to see my teammates in the second game.
>
> 4. The second game really gave me trouble. First, it didn’t give me the option to load up the real-time ATLAS until several minutes into the game. When I finally got to load it up, it showed High Noon still, but I was on Ridgeline. It even showed me moving around High Noon. I hid in a corner and stopped playing. I exited out of the app completely and went back in. This took forever, because the app is fairly slow overall. (Maybe ATLAS should be a separate app from waypoint.) I loaded up Ridgeline and pressed “game in progress,” and it still showed High Noon. When I tried for the third time to get it to work, it finally did, but the game was about a third of the way over; about four minutes in.
>
> 5. When ATLAS did finally load up Ridgeline, I wasn’t able to see where I was like I could in the first game. I wanted it to do what it had in the first game, be centered on me and update as I moved about. This time, I couldn’t get it to do that, but I was able to see my teammates in the small corner of the map it displayed. I press all the buttons on the app to try to get it to show me (including the crosshair in the bottom center), but nothing worked.
>
> 6. The app doesn’t support multi-tasking. It loses where you were at if you return to the home screen or switch to another app. That’s not how the iPhone works guys, and it’s really annoying having to boot up every single time, which takes up to a minute each time. I play Katamari Amore, a 3D game, on my iPhone all the time. Katamari takes about as long as Waypoint to load up (despite Katamari’s filesize being 20 times that of Waypoint’s), but once it’s loaded, it doesn’t lose where I’m at in a game unless I manually close it. I’m still able to return to the home screen or switch to another app and return to the same place in Katamari after doing so.
>
> 7. I’ve already mentioned the slowness of the app, but I want to elaborate. I understand Waypoint has to load up user information, and I think this is probably why it’s so slow. So, either fix the slowness of the Waypoint servers or maybe try making Waypoint an offline app with a refresh button. If you don’t know what I mean, look at the iPhone app “Stats for Halo Reach” by Will Rodgers. Aside from ATLAS and being able to set custom challenges, which I love, Rodgers’ app is better than the Waypoint app in every way possible. Check it out. Take notes. Please.

I agree with all of this. The multitasking being the worst offender as it can’t simply check and e-mail and return to Waypoint Seamlessly.

I also find the graphics look bad on the retina display of iPhone4. Blurry and unfocused.

I find that the Bungie App s still better for stats tracking and commendations tracking. I’d really love if waypoint could totally replace that app, but it’s no there yet.

But yes, at least have the option to have the current map I’m playing auto load, I got killed a few times today just trying to switch to follow me.

Also I wish paid users could get all the content that’s on the windows phone version.

Otherwise I’m glad to see the effort still going into reach.

Bug: I actually can’t sign into the app. (Unless I’m doing it wrong, or am mistaken. See repro steps)

Repro steps: I click the icon that says “Sign in” when I open the app, type in my e-mail and password, and then the app reboots and goes back to the sign-in screen with the Waypoint and ATLAS buttons at the bottom, and the “sign in” option still on the top middle. Am I technically signed in, or is there more to see on the app? It’s not giving me an “Unable to sign in” message, either. It just reboots.

Device: Android

Bug: Force/lock landscape, Atlas menu (along with the rest of the Waypoint app) remain portrait

Repro steps: Lock landscape mode in the menu. Load up Waypoint, navigate through the various screens. It’s not until a map is selected in Atlas that the screen moves from portrait to landscape.

Device: iPAD2 iOS 5.0.1

Bug: Force/lock portrait, Atlas maps switch to landscape

Repro steps: Lock portrait mode in the menu. Load up Waypoint, each screen is in portrait until a map is selected from Atlas, which then reverts to landscape.

Bug: In game lag after selecting “Game In Progress”

Repro steps: I keep my device in landscape, propped up by the case/cover I use. After the match begins, within a few seconds, the “Game In Progress” link appears at the top of the page. Select the link and the map loads up. For the first 30-60 seconds, myself and the other 4 in the party yesterday experienced noticeable lag, which cleared up about a minute in. Would game uploads to fileshare help, or game links?

Bug: In game stats not updating, including kill counts, primary weapons. This happened for just about each game.

Repro Steps: screenprint twitpic.com/7scrq2

General Inquiry: Understanding tracking bugs can be challenging, especially if everyone was to provide files, screenprints, etc. what additional info would be helpful?

I’ve been experiencing issues with staying connected to atlas, generally i seem to have to reconnect to atlas 3-4 times a game, and have to make sure it;s still tracking my position. So; I tend to spend more time playing with atlas than I do playing the game. I think I played £2.99 to help the other team win xD

I know it’s an early stage in the service, but not staying connected (and indeed having to completely close halo waypoint and re-open it again) isn’t too great. I really like the idea, and am hoping it keeps getting updated and improved! I’ve experienced most of the bugs above, also.

Using an Ipad 1 over wifi on IOS 4.3