Removing the Scorpions hull mounted turret for Halo 4

Could we PLEASE get rid of this bloody thing for Halo 4? I understand that there is contention from some people with regards to the Scorpion in Halo 2 that had the pintle on the turret being over powered. But I don’t really think it was the pintle that made the Scorpion overpowered. That was allot of other factors and in Halo 2 scorpions still were pretty much making the majority of their kills with the cannon.

But that’s not even really why I’m making this thread here. I’m not all that concerned over whether or not the Scorpion has that pintle mount in multiplayer or not. This is more an aesthetic point about how silly that hull mounted MG next to the -Yoink- pit on the post Halo 2 scorpions look. It’s just this foxhole they dug into the body of the Scorpion for an exposed machine gunner who can’t button up and whose weapon has extremely limited field of fire due to the Scorpions configuration. And lets be honest. On the few MP maps where the Scorpion comes into play, how often do you see someone jump into the MG turret? And how often do they actually contribute beyond doubling the kill count of whoever finally manages to take down the Scorpion?

So why not do this?

-Remove Hull machine gun, Restore Pintle mount for Campaign
-In Multiplayer have the pintle deactivated and have the Scorpion rely on it’s main gun

Just because the pintle might not be balanced for multiplayer doesn’t mean the aesthetic of the vehicle should be messed with and the campaign players fun mowing things down with the tank should be reduced.

> And lets be honest. On the few MP maps where the Scorpion comes into play, how often do you see someone jump into the MG turret? And how often do they actually contribute beyond doubling the kill count of whoever finally manages to take down the Scorpion?

You would be surprised how this has often ended up saving my backside on more than one occasion. If I ever need to watch my back,I instruct my gunner partner to keep my front safe incase anyone tries to board me while I deal with stuff going on behind me.

I can see both sides of the arguement… it sure does look a little awkward… but it can also be useful. I’ve hopped into the gunner seat many a times. I don’t usually get many kills, but I do a lot of spotting for the driver.

I don’t know what you are talking about. The Machinegun on the Scorpion in Halo CE and Halo 2 played a KEY ROLE in softening up enemies for easier cannon kills. You could cut the number of shots required to kill a Warthog, or Ghost completely in half by spraying it down between Cannon shots. And when your tank was outnumbered, that Machinegun Tore straight through anyone coming to jack you.

Just stick with the system you have now. And do SOMETHING to make the Tank less devastating, bring it down to the Wraith’s level, let the Wraith survive fights with the Scorpion on a 50/50 basis. Or make it situational, like from the Front the Tank will not likely pierce the Wraith’s hull. But from the Side/the back the Scorpion can have a larger advantage against it’s purple counterpart.

> I don’t know what you are talking about. The Machinegun on the Scorpion in Halo CE and Halo 2 played a KEY ROLE in softening up enemies for easier cannon kills. You could cut the number of shots required to kill a Warthog, or Ghost completely in half by spraying it down between Cannon shots. And when your tank was outnumbered, that Machinegun Tore straight through anyone coming to jack you.
>
> Just stick with the system you have now. And do SOMETHING to make the Tank less devastating, bring it down to the Wraith’s level, let the Wraith survive fights with the Scorpion on a 50/50 basis. Or make it situational, like from the Front the Tank will not likely pierce the Wraith’s hull. But from the Side/the back the Scorpion can have a larger advantage against it’s purple counterpart.

Actually, in Reach, the Wraith is just about on par with the Scorpion.

More on topic: I personally like the Scorpion as it is. When ever the scorpion is in use, someone is almost always using the mounted MG. It encourages team word and is incredibly handy to fight off multiple attackers at once.

> > I don’t know what you are talking about. The Machinegun on the Scorpion in Halo CE and Halo 2 played a KEY ROLE in softening up enemies for easier cannon kills. You could cut the number of shots required to kill a Warthog, or Ghost completely in half by spraying it down between Cannon shots. And when your tank was outnumbered, that Machinegun Tore straight through anyone coming to jack you.
> >
> > Just stick with the system you have now. And do SOMETHING to make the Tank less devastating, bring it down to the Wraith’s level, let the Wraith survive fights with the Scorpion on a 50/50 basis. Or make it situational, like from the Front the Tank will not likely pierce the Wraith’s hull. But from the Side/the back the Scorpion can have a larger advantage against it’s purple counterpart.
>
> Actually, in Reach, the Wraith is just about on par with the Scorpion.
>
> More on topic: I personally like the Scorpion as it is. When ever the scorpion is in use, someone is almost always using the mounted MG. It encourages team word and is incredibly handy to fight off multiple attackers at once.

This is true. However the scorpion has lost the weakness at the rear like it used to have in the other halo games.

I think the scorpion should go back to the Halo 1 style. Main cannon: accurate, slow projectile with a 5 second reload. Machine Gun: highly inaccurate, high fire rate and low damage per shot.

I agree that the post Halo 2 was stupid. The gunner usually gets killed fairly quickly by DMR/BR fire. If they manage to survive for any period of time they usually steal your kills.

Allow riding on the treads. That’s what the Scorpion, if it appears in Halo 4, should have.

> I think the scorpion should go back to the Halo 1 style. Main cannon: accurate, slow projectile with a 5 second reload. Machine Gun: highly inaccurate, high fire rate and low damage per shot.
>
> I agree that the post Halo 2 was stupid. The gunner usually gets killed fairly quickly by DMR/BR fire. If they manage to survive for any period of time they usually steal your kills.

The main cannon wasn’t accurate.

I think that it should remain the same, because sometimes, there is that one guy who evades your cannon shots and you need someone who can take him out. That’s what the gunner is for, along with a variety of functions. Also, as said earlier, there should be room for people to ride on the treads (at least in the campaign).

Riding on the treats is cool and should definitely be there for H4’s campaign and multiplayer.

As for the machine gun turret, it should stay seperate from the main turret. I think that a vehicle as powerful as a tank should require two people to utilize it to its full extent, even if the machine gun as such isn’t that powerful.

Just revert to the Halo 2 Scorpion and don’t even bother disabling the machine gun in multiplayer.

Just keep the reload animation on the back of the Scorpion’s turret. I think it looks cool.

Why can’t we have both? Yeah I miss the machine gun on the cannon turret, but I also like having an AI controled turret covering my butt when I’m dealing with air craft, and I got ground units trying to kill me.

I hope the tank has no gunner seat and instead has the secondary machine gun like the first 2 games. I also hope it has passenger seats like in Halo 1 and ODST.

I like it. It places a true emphasis on teamwork and rewards sacrifices. Scenario:

Player A and Player B both rush Scorpion. Player A gets there first and takes driver seat. Player B must now decide to go gunner seat, or try his luck at the Banshee or a power weapon. He chooses the less glamorous option and takes the turret. Now, although Player A is racking up the kills and sprees, Player B is the one who wards off the occasional highjack threat and calls out enemies. Player A then finishes with many kills and gets MVP, although he would’ve been stopped shortly if he hadn’t had that gunner.

I agree that the machine gun looks pretty stupid and it’s also unrealistic. Having the gunner stationed under the turret is a bad move and would cause the gunner to become partially or permanently deafened.

However, i would not mind if they kept the hull mounted turret with some changes and additions made.

-Completely redesign the look
-Increase the accuracy
-Increase turning speed
-leave power/damage output the same, or maybe slightly reduce it to balance the above points
-Offer additional protection to the gunner due to the lesser chance of scoring kills
-Possibly reposition the location of the turret

Also, I’m all for having the pintle turret return in Campaign, but not for Multiplayer. Maybe even have the pintle and the hull mounted turret for Campaign to increase firepower and for Co Op play.

The mounted Scorpion turret is nowhere near as useful as the pintle turret from Halo 1 and 2, but it still serves its purpose of killing people that get past the tank’s shells. It’s also a lot more teamwork-based. Obviously, you want your team to win, even if it means getting a low amount of kills.

Plus, it feels good killing a would-be boarder when the tank is busy reloading. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would like both Halo CE Tank and the current scorpion tank to make a return to Halo 4 these two vehicles could be used in multiplayer. The CE Tank could move slower or be less resistant to fire to make up for it’s player controlled machine gun. I would also like for allies to be able to sit on the Tank and provide supporting Fire, this was great in Halo.

> > I don’t know what you are talking about. The Machinegun on the Scorpion in Halo CE and Halo 2 played a KEY ROLE in softening up enemies for easier cannon kills. You could cut the number of shots required to kill a Warthog, or Ghost completely in half by spraying it down between Cannon shots. And when your tank was outnumbered, that Machinegun Tore straight through anyone coming to jack you.
> >
> > Just stick with the system you have now. And do SOMETHING to make the Tank less devastating, bring it down to the Wraith’s level, let the Wraith survive fights with the Scorpion on a 50/50 basis. Or make it situational, like from the Front the Tank will not likely pierce the Wraith’s hull. But from the Side/the back the Scorpion can have a larger advantage against it’s purple counterpart.
>
> Actually, in Reach, the Wraith is just about on par with the Scorpion.
>
> More on topic: I personally like the Scorpion as it is. When ever the scorpion is in use, someone is almost always using the mounted MG. It encourages team word and is incredibly handy to fight off multiple attackers at once.

The wraith actually has a bit more flexibility than the scorpion because it can shoot over hills and at angles, however the scorpion is much more accurate especially at distances.